• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    If you buy a new kayak or canoe,in the owner's manual there is a thing called a Certificate of Origin.Make sure you keep that and the original receipt.

If you buy one used,get a Bill of sale with price,date and owner's name and address.

I bought a new one from Dick's 10 yrs ago.I didnt keep the receipt or Certificate of Origin.I want to register it for use of an electric motor.Per the Md Licensing ,I had to contact Dick's and through 4 phone calls and two weeks of rigamaroo they sent me a certificate that lacks the sale price or the date of manufacture or the Id # of my kayak
    I was required to write a letter stating why I didnt keep the receipt and CoO, and send in a tax ,a fee,pictures of my Kayak showing the Id # and an application for registering.
    I mailed it in yesterday and I'm not even sure they will ok such a fubarred CoO.

All this for a #!@## kayak!!!!

A faked Bill of Sale would have been much easier :sad20:

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    [Kev308];6003700 said:
    "I was required to write a letter stating why I didnt keep the receipt..."

To Whom it May Concern,

I did not keep my receipt because I never dreamt I would encounter anyone so anal as to ask for one for a kayak.

I know there is a huge blackmarket kayak syndicate out there just waiting to defraud the State of Maryland by passing off stolen kayaks as legitimately owned. I understand many of them are hiring Inuits dressed up in seal skin parkas and carrying harpoons to complete the illusion. I hear they are using their ill-gotten proceeds to make counterfeit Hogan bobbleheads in North Korea.

Sincerely.

Grampa G

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2010
    Washington Co.
    I see nothings changed. Ran into that when I tried to register a used 17’ Grumman canoe 30 years ago. They wanted me to go back to the owner and get a bill of sale. Problem was the guy died and even the house he lived in was gone.
    I gave up wasn’t worth the aggravation.

Tell them it's a home made kayak. They can't refute your statement. Several years ago a friend of mine was given an old walk through hull boat. He cut the top off of it and rigged it for crabbing. He didn't have a title...he registered it as a home made vessel and the DNR didn't blink...He still uses it.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Sell it to your spouse/friend, give them a bill of sale. Problem solved.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I did this before and asked a lot of questions. If you build homemade they want to see the sales receipts that you paid MD tax on the supplies to make it. You probably don't have them and then you get taxed on the estimated value of it.

I bought a kayak for $300 and it's estimated value was $450. Guess which one they made me pay tax on to register it. That's right, the higher one. The same applies to cars now too. The days of selling your car to a family member for $1 are over. They tax on estimated value now. I had a trolling motor on a Ocean Kayak Prowler 15 for a while.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If you buy a new kayak or canoe,in the owner's manual there is a thing called a Certificate of Origin.Make sure you keep that and the original receipt.

If you buy one used,get a Bill of sale with price,date and owner's name and address.

I bought a new one from Dick's 10 yrs ago.I didnt keep the receipt or Certificate of Origin.I want to register it for use of an electric motor.Per the Md Licensing ,I had to contact Dick's and through 4 phone calls and two weeks of rigamaroo they sent me a certificate that lacks the sale price or the date of manufacture or the Id # of my kayak
    I was required to write a letter stating why I didnt keep the receipt and CoO, and send in a tax ,a fee,pictures of my Kayak showing the Id # and an application for registering.
    I mailed it in yesterday and I'm not even sure they will ok such a fubarred CoO.

All this for a #!@## kayak!!!!

A faked Bill of Sale would have been much easier :sad20:

Ugh.

A timely heads up, thanks. I doubt I'll put a motor on it, but I am thinking of getting a couple kayaks or a canoe for fishing with my younger son. "I doubt I will" and "I know for sure I never will" are very different things.

AlphabetSoup

Oct 28, 2019
    To Whom it May Concern,

I did not keep my receipt because I never dreamt I would encounter anyone so anal as to ask for one for a kayak.

I know there is a huge blackmarket kayak syndicate out there just waiting to defraud the State of Maryland by passing off stolen kayaks as legitimately owned. I understand many of them are hiring Inuits dressed up in seal skin parkas and carrying harpoons to complete the illusion. I hear they are using their ill-gotten proceeds to make counterfeit Hogan bobbleheads in North Korea.

Sincerely.
    I think I'll save this as a template for future use. +1 internet point

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    They returned my application.On the lower right hand side,There is a box for official use only.Under that box is where you are supposed to sign and date.I missed that.Hopefully that is the last hoop I encounter.It seems they are accepting the application and the messed up certificate of origin as is

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom