• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jstolz

Aug 28, 2018
    Glen Burnie
    I did some searching on the forum and didn’t see this. Sorry admins if it doesn’t belong here.

I just joined AGC, but haven’t shot there yet. I saw on the pistol range there were DIY target stands made from pvc pipe. I looked in the rules and the stand looks very large in their rulebooks. Almost 48 inches for the feet.

Is that the only dimensions allowed or just a suggestion. What is usually used at the pistol range at AGC? I do not want to break any rules or piss anyone off.

ANY SUGGESTIONS OR INFO IS APPRECIATED!

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    I did some searching on the forum and didn’t see this. Sorry admins if it doesn’t belong here.

I just joined AGC, but haven’t shot there yet. I saw on the pistol range there were DIY target stands made from pvc pipe. I looked in the rules and the stand looks very large in their rulebooks. Almost 48 inches for the feet.

Is that the only dimensions allowed or just a suggestion. What is usually used at the pistol range at AGC? I do not want to break any rules or piss anyone off.

Last time I looked it was either listed in the rules or at least on their site.

Jake4U

Now with 67% more FJB
    Sep 1, 2018

There are no real limits except your rounds must terminate in the impact area. There are set width dimensions for using the 25, 50, 100 yard receptacles for setting up your stand at the 100 yd range. PVC is the easiest to make. You can buy a ready made frame at the Barnes Range Hoise for 25 bucks. Use that to size the PVC base.

There a variety of stand bases on Amazon. Make your own frame out of 1x2 wood to use on the 50 yard range.

https://www.amazon.com/Target-Shooting-Holder-Hunting-Practise/dp/B01IUCSI7G

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Here's what I do. 7, 1.5x2' 2, T's and 2, 90's.
    c88851fd5f99d34df36c5b2a00e2a2be.jpg

HiStandards

Aug 1, 2017
    Anne Arundel Co
    There are about a dozen steel frames on the 25 yard line. You just need to add your 24 x 24 or 27 x 27 (I forget which) corrugated cardboard and then staple your target to it.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    If you go the PVC route, make sure to account for wind.

Nothing like the line being called hot and your target stand blows over.

The base needs to be big enough, use tent stakes or weigh it down.

I made a compact PVC one that will blow over. I use tent stakes and weigh it down with an old tool bag with sand in it if it’s really breezy.

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    If you want a target stand that AGC sells, I can give you one for free. It's the one made out of 1x2s and it's not too shot up. Just send me a PM

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    For use on the pistol range (at distances less than 25 yards) the height is more critical. The further to the left you are the higher your target frame needs to be so that all your shots will go over the grass protective berm and hit the dirt impact area.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    For use on the pistol range (at distances less than 25 yards) the height is more critical. The further to the left you are the higher your target frame needs to be so that all your shots will go over the grass protective berm and hit the dirt impact area.

Good advice. I would say for about the left most 15 positions The “center” of your target needs to be about 5ft otherwise your shots do not hit the berm.

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    If you go the PVC route, make sure to account for wind.

Nothing like the line being called hot and your target stand blows over.

The base needs to be big enough, use tent stakes or weigh it down.

I made a compact PVC one that will blow over. I use tent stakes and weigh it down with an old tool bag with sand in it if it’s really breezy.

Why not just put sand in the pvc pipes?

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    I have made many iterations of my wooden stands. My current one is easy and modular. I have a H bean base, then sturdy uprights to hold several target holders. This top is just one. I have another taller one that’s all purpose that I attach cardboard backing for paper targets. I also have one that I can attach steel to.

Anyway, it all breaks down flat and even though I don’t need it to, it would fit in a decent size trunk I think. The taller target holder has uprights in two pieces.

c5982b7f70e626ae8eb5d2c37b5346a6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    Here is an MDS link on this subject from a few years back. Look for my screen name where I posted a photo of my stand. It is a lot more compact than some of the others making it much easier to transport. And the spikes solve the wind issues and the fact that it is not a balanced (stand-alone) base without the spikes. It has worked for me for many years, but you obviously have several options depending on your needs.

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=77571

jstolz

Aug 28, 2018
    Glen Burnie
    Here is an MDS link on this subject from a few years back. Look for my screen name where I posted a photo of my stand. It is a lot more compact than some of the others making it much easier to transport. And the spikes solve the wind issues and the fact that it is not a balanced (stand-alone) base without the spikes. It has worked for me for many years, but you obviously have several options depending on your needs.

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=77571

Thank you. I searched but didn’t see anything. I guess I didn’t search hard enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom