• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Man, if we're gonna shame price gouging, we should be berating this place because there are some serious gouging scumbags in the classifieds right now.

While I don't love Dick's, Walmart is basically no better than them at this point and I don't see anyone screaming for boycotts of them every time they're mentioned.

1) We do shame people who gouge here.

2) Walmart sold the inventory. Dick's destroyed theirs.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I agree. I mentioned it somewhere on here not too long ago about the prices of stuff in the classifieds by members of this "community". I was basically told to embrace capitalism. Funny how in the end we eat our own..

Don't buy it.

Oddway Otts

Mar 17, 2008
    Harford County
    So, there is a an ammunition shortage & rising prices for the ammo that you can find. Yes, I know a lot of people are buying and that can create a shortage, but why the high prices? We're not bidding for it on eBay. Who is reaping the rising profits? Does it cost more to make ammo when there is a high demand & shortage? Are the manufacturers charging the brokers more? Does it cost more to ship ammo when there is a shortage? Are the brokers charging the retailers more? Are retailers charging more because they can? What's up? Is it another sudden "brass shortage" or "huge government contract" like with .22 rimfire (but nothing else)? And why haven't those prices gone back (Remember a 500 rd. brick for $8-10.00: now $20-25.00?) Is it like the decades old manufacturer's antifreeze shortage: formerly $1.79-3.00 for concentrate, now $15.00 to un-Godly for pre-mixed? I think we're being played to ultimately stabilize ammo prices at three to four times the former prices.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    I might have been one who expressed that sentiment but it’s not a personal attack in any way. My belief is that it takes two to tango. The buyers really do set the price in a competitive market. The sellers (Including those here on the MDS marketplace) can ask for whatever they want. If a buyer justifies that price as a fair market value and they pay for the item, even though you or I might think they are being shamelessly ripped off, then all is well as far as I’m concerned.

All in all I have come to appreciate and respect a lot of opinions and information I find here. Present company included.

May you someday find the ultimate source of cheap ammo and share it with us all.

J

Correct. It is the BUYER who ultimately sets the price on any commodity. Nobody is forcing anybody to buy anything. Members of this board should NOT be short on ammo after all the other runs in the recent past. If you lived through them and didn't learn, oh well. Suck it up. Pay the price (or don't).

The only real NEED for ammo right now if you don't have ANY (and I mean zero) is for self/personal defense. If you have a gun and don't have any ammo at all, go buy a box or 2 at whatever price, to use for defending you and yours. A box of 50 9s will fill 2 Glock mags with enough left over to shoot a few. A couple boxes of 223 will fill a 30 rounder and leave 10 rounds to sight in your AR. Two full Glock mags and a 30 round AR mag will get you out of most "issues". That is the only real "NEED" for ammo during this shortage.

Don't have enough for target practice? Don't care, not a need.
    Don't have enough for plinking? Don't care, not a need.
    Don't have enough for an upcoming match? Don't care, not a need.
    Don't have enough for a class? Don't care, not a need.
    Only want to add to your personal stash because you didn't have the forethought to prepare properly? Don't care, not a need and not my problem.

So if you NEED some ammo, pony up and pay the price of admission to the University of Lessons Learned, which WILL be higher than normal. But your lack of preparedness does not compel me to sell my property to you at whatever profit you deem acceptable.

And before all the whining and gnashing of teeth starts, over the past 2 years I've given away over 2 cases of 22 Automatch, box by box, to newbies I've met at the range. Just last week, I gave 2 boxes of 303 British I found in the stash to a guy I met at Gunsmoke a couple of years ago because he has one and I no longer do. And I would freely give (or at least sell at my cost) some ammo to most of the members on this board.

But these are the people who have already taken responsibility for themselves and already have plenty of ammo (most have way more than me). The thing is, when you post a FS here in the Classifieds, you don't get to control who hits the Buy Now button. Could be one of us or could be one of those. This post is not directed at anybody personally.

Go ahead, feel free to proceed with the "fair profit", "price gouging" and "naughty not niceness" remarks.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    So, there is a an ammunition shortage & rising prices for the ammo that you can find. Yes, I know a lot of people are buying and that can create a shortage, but why the high prices? We're not bidding for it on eBay. Who is reaping the rising profits? Does it cost more to make ammo when there is a high demand & shortage? Are the manufacturers charging the brokers more? Does it cost more to ship ammo when there is a shortage? Are the brokers charging the retailers more? Are retailers charging more because they can? What's up? Is it another sudden "brass shortage" or "huge government contract" like with .22 rimfire (but nothing else)? And why haven't those prices gone back (Remember a 500 rd. brick for $8-10.00: now $20-25.00?) Is it like the decades old manufacturer's antifreeze shortage: formerly $1.79-3.00 for concentrate, now $15.00 to un-Godly for pre-mixed? I think we're being played to ultimately stabilize ammo prices at three to four times the former prices. ��

Publicly traded companies- it’s good to be on the right side of demand both for the company and investors.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Correct. It is the BUYER who ultimately sets the price on any commodity. Nobody is forcing anybody to buy anything. Members of this board should NOT be short on ammo after all the other runs in the recent past. If you lived through them and didn't learn, oh well. Suck it up. Pay the price (or don't).

The only real NEED for ammo right now if you don't have ANY (and I mean zero) is for self/personal defense. If you have a gun and don't have any ammo at all, go buy a box or 2 at whatever price, to use for defending you and yours. A box of 50 9s will fill 2 Glock mags with enough left over to shoot a few. A couple boxes of 223 will fill a 30 rounder and leave 10 rounds to sight in your AR. Two full Glock mags and a 30 round AR mag will get you out of most "issues". That is the only real "NEED" for ammo during this shortage.

Only want to add to your personal stash because you didn't have the forethought to prepare properly? Don't care, not a need and not my problem.

So if you NEED some ammo, pony up and pay the price of admission to the University of Lessons Learned, which WILL be higher than normal. But your lack of preparedness does not compel me to sell my property to you at whatever profit you deem acceptable.

And before all the whining and gnashing of teeth starts, over the past 2 years I've given away over 2 cases of 22 Automatch, box by box, to newbies I've met at the range. Just last week, I gave 2 boxes of 303 British I found in the stash to a guy I met at Gunsmoke a couple of years ago because he has one and I no longer do. And I would freely give (or at least sell at my cost) some ammo to most of the members on this board.

But these are the people who have already taken responsibility for themselves and already have plenty of ammo (most have way more than me). The thing is, when you post a FS here in the Classifieds, you don't get to control who hits the Buy Now button. Could be one of us or could be one of those. This post is not directed at anybody personally.

Go ahead, feel free to proceed with the "fair profit", "price gouging" and "naughty not niceness" remarks.
    Nah, I’m good with what you said and how you said it.

So, there is a an ammunition shortage & rising prices for the ammo that you can find. Yes, I know a lot of people are buying and that can create a shortage, but why the high prices? We're not bidding for it on eBay. Who is reaping the rising profits? Does it cost more to make ammo when there is a high demand & shortage? Are the manufacturers charging the brokers more? Does it cost more to ship ammo when there is a shortage? Are the brokers charging the retailers more? Are retailers charging more because they can? What's up? Is it another sudden "brass shortage" or "huge government contract" like with .22 rimfire (but nothing else)? And why haven't those prices gone back (Remember a 500 rd. brick for $8-10.00: now $20-25.00?) Is it like the decades old manufacturer's antifreeze shortage: formerly $1.79-3.00 for concentrate, now $15.00 to un-Godly for pre-mixed? I think we're being played to ultimately stabilize ammo prices at three to four times the former prices. ��

Simple law of supply and demand. Ammoseek shows the best prices for 9mm and .223 (brass) in bulk being $.60 per round + shipping. People are paying those prices, so why lower them?
    I got some stupid high prices for ammo on Armslist. Both buyer and seller were happy with the selling price. Conversely, I did this as a "favor" to MDS members... https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=248114

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Simple law of supply and demand. Ammoseek shows the best prices for 9mm and .223 (brass) in bulk being $.60 per round + shipping. People are paying those prices, so why lower them?
    I got some stupid high prices for ammo on Armslist. Both buyer and seller were happy with the selling price. Conversely, I did this as a "favor" to MDS members... https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=248114
    Go fish!

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I could easily be a gouging scumbag, but I prefer to be a greedy hoarder.

If you need ammunition, pay the asking price, and be thankful that someone is willing to sell it to you.

If you don't need ammunition, be thankful that you prepared for the current eventuality.

If you don't have any firearms, well, good luck. You may not need one.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    So, there is a an ammunition shortage & rising prices for the ammo that you can find. Yes, I know a lot of people are buying and that can create a shortage, but why the high prices? We're not bidding for it on eBay. Who is reaping the rising profits? Does it cost more to make ammo when there is a high demand & shortage? Are the manufacturers charging the brokers more? Does it cost more to ship ammo when there is a shortage? Are the brokers charging the retailers more? Are retailers charging more because they can? What's up? Is it another sudden "brass shortage" or "huge government contract" like with .22 rimfire (but nothing else)? And why haven't those prices gone back (Remember a 500 rd. brick for $8-10.00: now $20-25.00?) Is it like the decades old manufacturer's antifreeze shortage: formerly $1.79-3.00 for concentrate, now $15.00 to un-Godly for pre-mixed? I think we're being played to ultimately stabilize ammo prices at three to four times the former prices. í*½í¸*

SUPPLY and DEMAND, that’s why

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    Glad I have thousands and thousands of primers.

Sportsmans guide notified me today that Thunderbolt 22 lr was back in stock but since I don't get up till noon it was gone. Snooze you lose. :) Trump wins market will be flooded, loses ..... sellers market.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Glad I have thousands and thousands of primers.

Sportsmans guide notified me today that Thunderbolt 22 lr was back in stock but since I don't get up till noon it was gone. Snooze you lose. :) Trump wins market will be flooded, loses ..... sellers market.

Yes. If you want lower ammo prices vote for Trump.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

It is called supply and demand.

As supply gets lower, the prices go up, which reduces demand.

And these are BUSINESSES. And they are in the business to make money. So when times are like these, they make more money. How much to you think they make when .22 is 3 cpr and 9mm is 15 cpr????

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Agreed.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I could easily be a gouging scumbag, but I prefer to be a greedy hoarder.

If you need ammunition, pay the asking price, and be thankful that someone is willing to sell it to you.

If you don't need ammunition, be thankful that you prepared for the current eventuality.

If you don't have any firearms, well, good luck. You may not need one.

What he said!

OMCHamlin

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2017
    The Cumberland Plateau
    I am SO glad that during times of "plenty", when I spotted a deal on my primary calibers, I snatched it up. I'm not sure how many times even semi-serious gun folk need to go through this crap to learn that lesson. When this ends, STOCK UP guys, and don't "buy high". If you are convinced that we will be locked in a deadly civil war by next December, at least consider this; how much ammo can you carry, and in a hardcore fight, how long you gonna last, really? You might not actually go through 12,000 rds of that Tula 9mm you took out a second mortgage to get...

On the flip side, the little hardware store in town where I part time work the gun counter, the boss said to me, privately, that we're not going to play that game, and so far, we have not. That little comment he made makes me kinda proud to work there. They understand the nature of a long standing, local small business and the fact that someday, this will end, and they don't want to be remembered as the local "Cheaper Then Dirt"...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom