• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aug 25, 2020
    New Windsor, MD
    Hello all. I am a new member from Frederick County. I am asking this question in hopes that I can get an answer to a question that I am unable to get an answer from the MSP. So far they have not responded to two email requests.

My question to them was, is an AR pistol considered a handgun and therefore legal to carry loaded in a vehicle under a Maryland Wear & Carry permit.

I am wanting to assemble either a 5.56 or 300 Blackout 10.5” AR pistol with parts from Palmetto State Armory to keep with me inside my truck.

Thank you in advance for any and all input.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    It's a pistol. You have a permit to carry a pistol.
    No need to bring the MSP into this lol

You didn't qualify with a specific pistol that you have to carry. Carry away.

Aug 25, 2020
    New Windsor, MD
    Thanks Blaster229. The permit says handgun, not pistol. I am wondering if they consider an AR pistol a handgun. If so, I would assume a carry permit would cover it, but you know how words like handgun and pistol can be twisted and interpreted differently.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Thanks Blaster229. The permit says handgun, not pistol. I am wondering if they consider an AR pistol a handgun. If so, I would assume a carry permit would cover it, but you know how words like handgun and pistol can be twisted and interpreted differently.
    Well, a pistol is a handgun. Here's mine..
    37d6c7e7c79f088d052d14b7f147fcf4.jpg

Aug 25, 2020
    New Windsor, MD
    That looks nice. Similar to what I want to do. What caliber did you go with? Originally I thought I would do 300 Blackout, but ammo is more expensive and hard to impossible to find. So, I am now thinking 5.56 because I have some of that.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    That looks nice. Similar to what I want to do. What caliber did you go with? Originally I thought I would do 300 Blackout, but ammo is more expensive and hard to impossible to find. So, I am now thinking 5.56 because I have some of that.
    I just stayed with 56 because all the other rifles are. It's good enough for what's intended, to shoot through glass and doors. 9mm doesn't do that very well.

ehall

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 19, 2020

https://law.justia.com/codes/maryland/2019/criminal-law/title-4/subtitle-2/sect-4-201/

(c) (1) “Handgun” means a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed on the person.

(2) “Handgun” includes a short–barreled shotgun and a short–barreled rifle.

(3) “Handgun” does not include a shotgun, rifle, or antique firearm.

(f) “Short–barreled rifle” means:

(1) a rifle that has one or more barrels less than 16 inches long; or

(2) a weapon that has an overall length of less than 26 inches and that was made from a rifle, whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise.

(g) “Short–barreled shotgun” means:

(1) a shotgun that has one or more barrels less than 18 inches long; or

(2) a weapon that has an overall length of less than 26 inches long and was made from a shotgun, whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise.

If you buy it as a pistol or a short-barrel rifle it is regulated as a handgun.

Aug 25, 2020
    New Windsor, MD
    Thank you ehall. I guess the one unclear part is the wording in the first line saying “capable of being concealed on the person”. I wonder if that would include some kind of man bag concealment. It would be hard to shove a 10.5” AR pistol down your pants.

ehall

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 19, 2020
    Thank you ehall. I guess the one unclear part is the wording in the first line saying “capable of being concealed on the person”. I wonder if that would include some kind of man bag concealment. It would be hard to shove a 10.5” AR pistol down your pants.
    It would fit under a coat though

Honestly I think this class of weapon is poor choice for a truck gun. Everybody will see it (as you recognize, hard to conceal). And it would be hard to swing past a steering wheel.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    It would fit under a coat though

Honestly I think this class of weapon is poor choice for a truck gun. Everybody will see it (as you recognize, hard to conceal). And it would be hard to swing past a steering wheel.

The idea of a truck gun is to shoot through your vehicle to the outside. Pistol calibers don't shoot through glass or doors very well or accurately.
    A pistol under 11 inches is easily manipulated in the vehicle.

The idea is to use brute force to get out of your vehicle when taking fire. You're not carrying a rifle caliber in order to engage targets 100 yards out.
    Inside a vehicle is a TERRIBLE place to be when being shot at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom