• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aug 25, 2020
    New Windsor, MD
    I’m sure this has been discussed before over the years, but what are your current thoughts about the 5.7 x 28 round out if the FN 57 pistol? Specifically for home and truck gun purposes. It can be concealed carried, but it’s a little large for that propose.

LongRanger300

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 14, 2020
    I understand with the right ammo this would be great against threats wearing level 3A armor. That combo and concealability are the only real advantage. A PDW sized 300 blackout, 7.62x39, or even 5.56 would probably be a better choice for a truck gun and they are cheaper to “feed”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Comparing it to most any full size 9mm pistol you gain a couple rounds capacity, loose a LOT of terminal performance, it's big with a huge grip, and it costs 5x as much to feed. It was designed pretty much to defeat body armor from a short barrel using AP ammo that isn't really available to civilians. Fun round to shoot, but IMO too many drawbacks vs most any 9mm handgun. Unless you plan on using a braced carbine or SBR as a "trunk gun", probably best off with a decent 9mm, and keeping a large spare mag close by, like the 33rd GLOCK mag if you end up choosing some flavor of 9mm GLOCK.

I have a FN 5.7 and love to shoot it. However, I would never carry it or use it as a bed or truck gun. Its got a purpose, but for general day to day self defense or as a bed or truck gun, there are alot of better options for much less money.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Every time I’ve tried to justify a 57 my inner cheap bastard say buy something else. It’s just too damn expensive to shoot IMO. Sending lots of rounds down range will probably have a bigger impact on your ability to defend yourself if and when the time comes.

JTH20

Feb 18, 2013
    MD
    I understand with the right ammo this would be great against threats wearing level 3A armor. That combo and concealability are the only real advantage. A PDW sized 300 blackout, 7.62x39, or even 5.56 would probably be a better choice for a truck gun and they are cheaper to “feed”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Level IIIA+ armor that defeats 5.7x28 is not uncommon these days.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    The purpose of a truck gun is to actually be effective to shoot from inside the vehicle through metal and glass, since your pistol caliber rounds would suck at it. You're not engaging threats at rifle caliber range from the vehicle.
    Green tip 5.56 is great to bully through it or the bigger mass of 300.
    5.7 is a terrible "truck gun" caliber.

kolohekanaka

Jul 23, 2017
    Howard County, MD
    I wish I'd had a crystal ball...

I bought the FN 57 because I was intrigued by the rifle round that was optimized for a pistol and the 57 was the only game in town. I don't regret having it in my arsenal but had I known that Ruger was going to come out with their own version I probably would have waited. Saving up my lunch money until I can afford a used Ruger 57.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/gun-review-ruger-57-5-7x28mm-pistol/

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I really want an FN Five Seven.

I agree with all the things against it, but I still want one. :D

sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    I really want an FN Five Seven.

I agree with all the things against it, but I still want one. :D

Good luck finding ammo for it if you get one right now. I bought one just because it is "different", not because it was going to fit any needs I have. The LGS where I bought it sold me one box of ammo (they are not selling ammo of any kind unless you buy a gun from them). I paid $30 for a 50-round box. I did a search for additional ammo and only found a couple of places (on AmmoSeek) that had any in stock and the cheapest was around $70/50-rd box! More than double what I paid. I guess the 57 is going to be a closet queen until (if?) the prices come down to something far more reasonable.

brentC

Jun 14, 2020
    I almost bought an FN Five Seven the other day. Hanover Armory had two last time I stopped in. The fact that I have 1500 rounds of 5.7 sitting for my banshee makes me want to pull the trigger on one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom