• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lane Meyer

Jul 20, 2020
    Cecil County
    Let’s say a guy isn’t currently a hunter but would like to learn a little bit more about the sport. I find myself intrigued by the discussions around what works and what doesn’t (recent Camo thread as an example) but it’s a little bit late in the game to start thinking about hunting this season.

Is there anything preventing me from heading out into the woods to experiment with technique without a weapon? I have access to private property that is not hunted. I assume that if I’m not actively hunting that nobody (DNR?) would care. Seems like I might be able to learn a few things that way.

Stupid idea? Your thoughts, ideas, insults, and laughter are welcomed.

Silverlax

Nov 13, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    This is basically “scouting an area”. Go do it and learn. You will see some really neat things in nature if you are patient and not creating any commotion. I would wear orange during rifle/shotgun even if you’re on private property not hunting with a weapon.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Without a weapon, no concerns with DNR, as by definition you are not hunting. This is classic scouting. Private property would keep you separate from those who are actively hunting and may not enjoy the company. The camera element is a nice addition. The best pictures will be be closer in. Add that, and you'll learn some good woodsmanship/stalking skills along the way. Enjoy!

Lane Meyer

Jul 20, 2020
    Cecil County
    Thanks. I should add that I’m no stranger to the woods and see wildlife regularly... I’ve just never approached it from the perspective of trying to see critters on purpose. I live in an area where deer sightings are a near daily occurrence. I think I will get out with a camera and try it out.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Haha, opened this thread thinking this’d be Antifa related :-)

...I would wear orange during rifle/shotgun even if you’re on private property not hunting with a weapon.

^^^THIS^^^ A hundred times over. And whether you go w camera or empty handed. Get one orange ball cap and one orange knit (“watch cap”) pullover type for cooler temps. Or a vest.

Just ... Wear ... Orange ...

Lane Meyer

Jul 20, 2020
    Cecil County
    Check, lots of orange! I was thinking that it wouldn’t matter on private property but I’ve seen too many stories about trespassing/hunting without landowner permission.

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    Find a place and shoot the deer, or any other wildlife with a CAMERA!

You can learn the patterns of animals by getting out in the woods.

If you are NOT hunting, actual hunting, or observing someone who is, I’d suggest staying out of the woods during firearms season. At the very least so you don’t ruin an active hunters hunt. If accompanying a hunter, follows rules for orange.

Off season, I believe you can walk around the WMAs. You can learn about Following sign, getting close.

Private land, off season would be good. If the private Land is NOT being hunted during season, well, whenever. But don’t interfere with a real hunt.

If you can get a good picture without a magnified lens, being stealthy in approach in set, that is pretty good.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    You gotta sit still. Walking around rustling leaves is a non starter.
    Sit on a bucket you've painted dark green / brown.
    2 hours. Slowly move your head side to side.
    If you hear a rustle, it's likely a squirrel, but it MIGHT be a deer.
    DO NOT swivel your head fast to that sound.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    As I get a bit longer in the tooth, I find myself killing less. I have a weapon but just spend more time watching nature.

Good way to learn. Find an area with deer sign. Figure out where they bed, where they feed, and later where the does like to be. Bucks will come to her late Oct - mid Nov.

If you have a camera take it, binoculars, maybe a doe bleat/ grut tube. Learn how to make a fawn distress call, early bow season you can get a doe come to investigate, coyotes too maybe. Had a Fox come in one morning to a call.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Let’s say a guy isn’t currently a hunter but would like to learn a little bit more about the sport. I find myself intrigued by the discussions around what works and what doesn’t (recent Camo thread as an example) but it’s a little bit late in the game to start thinking about hunting this season.

Is there anything preventing me from heading out into the woods to experiment with technique without a weapon? I have access to private property that is not hunted. I assume that if I’m not actively hunting that nobody (DNR?) would care. Seems like I might be able to learn a few things that way.

Stupid idea? Your thoughts, ideas, insults, and laughter are welcomed.
    Nothing illegal about it, though, if you plan on hunting it eventually, you might consider your forays as 'educating' the deer population. But, a person has got to start somewhere. I would only recommend you keep your forays as low impact as possible. Try and keep your observing from a distance. Binoculars are the best scouting tool. You have a LOT to learn. Enjoy!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Well , let's say being non- moving , prepositioned in likely spot is a common method of hunting deer in Md , for multiple reasons . But leaving Post #10 without an astrix will bring the wrath of all the Still Hunters . ( Which despite the name, does not involve staying still , rather moving veeeeery slowly .)

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    Check, lots of orange! I was thinking that it wouldn’t matter on private property but I’ve seen too many stories about trespassing/hunting without landowner permission.

It may not even be a trespassing issue during hunting season...a hunter on an adjacent property might see a deer and line up for a shot. If you are somewhere behind the deer on your property, but in an approximate line of fire, it might help the hunter to see that the shot is not safe if they can see you in the background.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Well , let's say being non- moving , prepositioned in likely spot is a common method of hunting deer in Md , for multiple reasons . But leaving Post #10 without an astrix will bring the wrath of all the Still Hunters . ( Which despite the name, does not involve staying still , rather moving veeeeery slowly .)

It’s after 9pm -on a weekend- there’s liquids involved ...:innocent0

Lane Meyer

Jul 20, 2020
    Cecil County

I screwed up anyway... painted the bucket orange.

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    Remember that if you are in state parks where deer are very used to seeing people, hundreds every day, and they never receive hunting pressure they are going to act differently than those on a hunting club. Still wild animals. But they startle less.

730waters

Apr 20, 2013
    Rising Sun, Md
    Watching

Since you are just starting out learning to hunt. I would get a climber and try a few different vantage points that you can watch over a larger area. Take your camera and document what you see. After you learn the areas that you are scouting, you will have pictures to help remember the better areas. I would get a few trail cams and put out. If I were you, I would get a bow and start practicing, because when you start seeing deer moving and if you are lucky enough to see a nice buck. You will get hooked on deer hunting. Deer hunting is better than being at work.

Remember that if you are in state parks where deer are very used to seeing people, hundreds every day, and they never receive hunting pressure they are going to act differently than those on a hunting club. Still wild animals. But they startle less.

Oddway Otts

Mar 17, 2008
    Harford County
    Like someone else, I opened this thread thinking it was something else.:rolleyes:

Ah, nostalgia. Back in my youth (well, early adulthood), I used to go "hunting" down the road on St. Clair's Farm & woods with my repro Navy Arms black powder double & my two Dobermans. The male (Blip) was a sight hunter. The female, Hexe, a sniffer. Often we'd jump game birds (and lots of other things) on the trails. The dogs would freeze, I'd raise that smoke-pole and boom, boom. The smoke cloud was enormous. As the smoke cleared & the bird flew away, Blip would be following it with his eyes before giving chase: Hexe would already be running with her nose to the ground. She'd give me a contemptuous look back, like "Well, you missed again," as she was going. :innocent0 Of course I'd miss: the gun was loaded with 60-75 grains of black powder, a crumpled newspaper wad, a half inch to an inch of flour, and a paper top-wad. We would spend half a day together enjoying our hunts. Alas, the dogs are both gone now, the property is posted, I'm old,:sad20: but I'll bet the gun still works!;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom