• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ralph.mclean

GOC (Grumpy Old Cop)
    Jan 27, 2018
    Edgewater, MD
    Hunt with a camera, and make it a challenge, see how close you can get.....

The Bow and Arrow deer-slayers will appreciate it...

Samlab

Feb 14, 2018
    Down by the riverside
    Nam is right on...me too. My dad said when I was a young boy, you only hunt if you need food, otherwise it's a sin. Hunting is not a sport for a trophy. That committing murder of an animal. Make sure you have in writing, a must, a notarized letter of provenence from him for that property. To cover your rear or you run in not someone else there that does not! It does happen and it's called trespassing. Good luck....if just starting out find someone to go out with....and see of your all in....some people realize oooops this isnt for me or end up uncomfortable with the processes such as skinning and butchering.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Nam is right on...me too. My dad said when I was a young boy, you only hunt if you need food, otherwise it's a sin. Hunting is not a sport for a trophy. That committing murder of an animal. Make sure you have in writing, a must, a notarized letter of provenence from him for that property. To cover your rear or you run in not someone else there that does not! It does happen and it's called trespassing. Good luck....if just starting out find someone to go out with....and see of your all in....some people realize oooops this isnt for me or end up uncomfortable with the processes such as skinning and butchering.
    Wanton waste is a sin and against the law. Killing animals and eating them is not a sin. There is nothing immoral or unethical about killing your own food.

A little clarification on "trophy hunting" as it pertains to the lower 48. When someone is trophy hunting, he is by nature, taking out the older animals from the herd. Nothing wrong with that, in an ethical sense.

YMMV

HRDWRK

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Jan 7, 2013
    39°43′19.92216″ N
    Let’s say a guy isn’t currently a hunter but would like to learn a little bit more about the sport. I find myself intrigued by the discussions around what works and what doesn’t (recent Camo thread as an example) but it’s a little bit late in the game to start thinking about hunting this season.

Is there anything preventing me from heading out into the woods to experiment with technique without a weapon? I have access to private property that is not hunted. I assume that if I’m not actively hunting that nobody (DNR?) would care. Seems like I might be able to learn a few things that way.

Stupid idea? Your thoughts, ideas, insults, and laughter are welcomed.

"you have access to private property"

But do you have the owners permission to be on his/her private property?

My neighbors have access to private property, they do not have permission to be on my private property!

sino26

Mar 5, 2013
    Columbia
    I just got this email that seems to be a good source to learn a few things. It's free, and has a Q&A after the seminar.

Intro to Deer Hunting Webinars

If you are new to hunting or simply want to learn more about hunting, the "Introduction to Deer Hunting" and the "Practical Deer Processing: From Field to Freezer" seminars are for you. Anyone may join, but the topics covered will focus on the basics of hunting.

Some subjects that will be covered include whitetail habits and habitats, scouting techniques, essential equipment, tree stand safety, effective shot placement, tracking techniques and field dressing. Topics covered by the deer processing seminar will include field dressing, skinning, safe meat handling and basic home processing.

Each seminar will be conducted from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m., followed by a 30-minute Q&A session for any seminar-related questions. Pre-registration is required, and participants must register online at https://www.ncwildlife.org/Learning/Skills-Based-Seminars. After registering, each participant will receive a confirmation email with login instructions for the online seminars.

The seminar dates:
    Sept. 14 - Introduction to Deer Hunting
    Sept. 15 - Practical Deer Processing
    Sept. 16 - Introduction to Deer Hunting
    Sept. 17 - Practical Deer Processing
    Sept. 18 - Introduction to Deer Hunting

Lane Meyer

Jul 20, 2020
    Cecil County
    "you have access to private property"

But do you have the owners permission to be on his/her private property?

My neighbors have access to private property, they do not have permission to be on my private property!

Great point. Yes, I do have permission.

This past Monday afternoon I got my lawn tractor out of the shed. In the process I startled a doe bedded down in the woods ~40 yards away. She, in turn, startled me. I’m off to a great start. :)

I’m not a trophy hunter. Any hunting I do would be for food. My current interest is along the lines of wanting to have some understanding should I ever need to hunt to provide food for my family. If that were ever to happen, it would be a lousy time to start learning.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Let’s say a guy isn’t currently a hunter but would like to learn a little bit more about the sport. I find myself intrigued by the discussions around what works and what doesn’t (recent Camo thread as an example) but it’s a little bit late in the game to start thinking about hunting this season.

Is there anything preventing me from heading out into the woods to experiment with technique without a weapon? I have access to private property that is not hunted. I assume that if I’m not actively hunting that nobody (DNR?) would care. Seems like I might be able to learn a few things that way.

Stupid idea? Your thoughts, ideas, insults, and laughter are welcomed.

You are in Cecil County go to Fair Hill Natural Resource Management Area.
    https://dnr.maryland.gov/publiclands/pages/central/fairhill.aspx
    It is 5,600 acres and 85 miles of marked trails with lots of wild life. I am there every day and average seeing more than one deer a day and I am not looking for them. I have also seen:
    rabbit
    squirrel
    groundhog
    raccoon
    fox
    coyote
    opossum
    skunk
    beaver
    mink
    wild turkey
    snakes
    snapping turtles (laying eggs)
    etc.

I believe the bird watchers have identified over 150 species of birds. Then there are the trees, wildflowers, fungus and other plant life to learn.

It can be a real "wild" education if you keep your eyes open and pay attention. Yesterday in the morning three deer were between the road and the creek 50 yards from Black Bridge, probably getting a drink before bedding down for the day, and last night I had to stop the truck and wait while a spike buck in velvet decided to move out of the road.

They also have bow hunting, a managed deer hunt with shotgun every year, raccoon hunting, fox chasing on horseback, and fishing all of which are regulated with specific rules.

But as long as you don't have a weapon and follow the other posted rules you should be good to go.

I forgot to mention it connects to protected land in Pennsylvania so the total is over 7,000 acres you can roam.

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    It’s not to late , especially if that private property is your family’s. I believe you can hunt it without a license. I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong . You can check DNR website.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom