• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ErictheRed

Jul 3, 2013
    St. Mary's
    Is an AR upper advertised as 16" Heavy Profile Barrel Assembly considered an HBAR for Maryland compliance? Or is heavy profile something completely different?

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    What constitutes a manufacturer?

If an online reseller advertises an upper having an HBAR, but there's no way to determine who actually fabricated the barrel, and it's not marked HBAR, is that still in compliance with what MSP has stated?

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    As I've become so fond of saying........cue the circus music.

This is a SIMPLE topic. "Reseller" means NOTHING. Manufacturer means EVERYTHING. Don't know who made it?? Don't play with it. Know who made it?? Well, if that manufacturer says it's HBAR or it's stamped on there by the manufacturer, no matter the profile, it's an HBAR. If the manufacturer doesn't specify AND it's not on the barrel, it isn't an HBAR. I don't care if it's 6" in circumference, if it's not marked or advertised by the manufacturer as an HBAR, MSP says it isn't. Don't agree?? Do what you want....it's your life. That should be the definitive answer but no....it won't be.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    What is the definition of HBAR in MD law?

Heh. Nice one.

This has been beat to death by now. But I continue to get different info wherever I go.

Just last Tuesday I went to a shop that is an active IP on here (who will remain unnamed), and we got into a brief discussion on barrels.

It was stated (by two employees) that MSP cracked down on folks stamping barrels or selling barrels described as heavy that were not true heavy profiles...

They then added that it's "right up on MSP's website" that a heavy barrel is has been clarified as a barrel that is ".750 from the muzzle to the gas block" and that's it.

Well... first, I have scoured MSP's website and other resources and have found nothing that says that, and second, the Colt 6920 SOCOM, which is explicitly legal, would not fit this description.

If anyone can chime in show such clarification, it would be appreciated.

I stand to believe that the law remains "advertised, sold, or marked as HBAR or Heavy Barrel", and nothing more.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Heh. Nice one.

This has been beat to death by now. But I continue to get different info wherever I go.

Just last Tuesday I went to a shop that is an active IP on here (who will remain unnamed), and we got into a brief discussion on barrels.

It was stated (by two employees) that MSP cracked down on folks stamping barrels or selling barrels described as heavy that were not true heavy profiles...

They then added that it's "right up on MSP's website" that a heavy barrel is has been clarified as a barrel that is ".750 from the muzzle to the gas block" and that's it.

Well... first, I have scoured MSP's website and other resources and have found nothing that says that, and second, the Colt 6920 SOCOM, which is explicitly legal, would not fit this description.

If anyone can chime in show such clarification, it would be appreciated.

I stand to believe that the law remains "advertised, sold, or marked as HBAR or Heavy Barrel", and nothing more.

That is a MSP advisory, not in the law for MD. You're statement is legally incorrect.

I have been told numerous times by multiple IP's, while I was a MD resident and even now, that the KAK Value Line 556 barrel qualifies as HBAR in MD, due tot he fact that I have run calipers over the barrel and it is .745 from the chamber to the gas block journal, then it ramps up to .750 for the gas block journal, then back down to .745 from the gas block journal to the muzzle threads.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    That is a MSP advisory, not in the law for MD. You're statement is legally incorrect.

I have been told numerous times by multiple IP's, while I was a MD resident and even now, that the KAK Value Line 556 barrel qualifies as HBAR in MD, due tot he fact that I have run calipers over the barrel and it is .745 from the chamber to the gas block journal, then it ramps up to .750 for the gas block journal, then back down to .745 from the gas block journal tot he muzzle threads.

Would that then make the Ballistic Advantage Hanson Profile barrels a legal option?

https://www.ballisticadvantage.com/16-inch-556-hanson-mid-cmv-performance-barrel.html

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    It has always been legal due tot he barrel diameter.

Thanks. I agree with everything you've said and i've heard you say it before on here.

I should have clarified my original statement as "my interpretation stands as...".

And to date, i've heard of 0 cases brought against anyone regarding this stuff.

It's just, in theory, might MSP be more likely to bring a case against you if your barrel could not be defined explicitly by the criteria that they had clarified?

If heaven forbid I had to use a rifle in an HD situation, I'd like there to be zero speculation as to the legality of it's configuration (whether as written or as interpreted). Perhaps charges would not be brought on successfully, but I imagine it could cause a headache or a need to retain council.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Thanks. I agree with everything you've said and i've heard you say it before on here.

I should have clarified my original statement as "my interpretation stands as...".

And to date, i've heard of 0 cases brought against anyone regarding this stuff.

It's just, in theory, might MSP be more likely to bring a case against you if your barrel could not be defined explicitly by the criteria that they had clarified?

If heaven forbid I had to use a rifle in an HD situation, I'd like there to be zero speculation as to the legality of it's configuration (whether as written or as interpreted). Perhaps charges would not be brought on successfully, but I imagine it could cause a headache or a need to retain council.
    Remember that a advisory carries zero force of law.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom