• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    So it is all god darn import to have a HQL card because you have to know that the person that is buy a weapon is clear and full capable of using that firearm responsibly. So now a piece of paper of ok?

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Pinnacle

Firearm Licensing (MD, FL, AZ)
    Aug 11, 2020
    Pre HQL, I rented at several different ranges in the past year plus. I was never asked for an HQL. Just a drivers license. Not implying they were or weren’t following the letter of the law, just sharing anecdotal experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agreed. Cindy's, Continental, Guntry...all only need a Drivers License, no HQL needed to rent.

KingClown

SOmething Witty
    Jul 29, 2020
    Deep Blue MD
    This is MD’s absurdity. Though I wouldnt be against HQL if it meant I could go in to the store do my NICS check and then walk out with my handgun instead of have to wait till the 8th day and what is essentially 2 more background checks. NICS and the one the state police do before recording you have a handgun so they know who to look for when they decide that no ones is responsible enough to own a gun but thier private security.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    This is MD’s absurdity. Though I wouldnt be against HQL if it meant I could go in to the store do my NICS check and then walk out with my handgun instead of have to wait till the 8th day and what is essentially 2 more background checks. NICS and the one the state police do before recording you have a handgun so they know who to look for when they decide that no ones is responsible enough to own a gun but thier private security.

What if they also made it take 40 hours of formal live-fire instruction per year to get and keep?

You see, the problem with not being against an infringement is that they never stop infringing! Be careful what you "wouldn't be against". The other side is always for more and will never stop.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    This entire thing of even needing a physical paper or card got extremely stupid after they went to electronic forms anyways. Check it on the website to make sure I've got an HQL, and then check my ID at the store. Done.

lemmdus

Feb 24, 2015
    I think its because on a card it looks too much like a license, which it is, and since you CANT license a right only a privilege, MD wants it to look more like a letter saying the person is good to own a weapon, not licensed. this is happening bc let face it, its going to get shot down in the SCOTUS soon.

Mr Bear

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Maryland
    You're already in a small group since they stopped using pics on the cards about 5-6 yrs ago. Apparently couldn't coordinate with the MVA for the pics.

LittleBill

Mar 14, 2020
    It will lower the cost for the state, the stated reason for the switch. So, they will have more money but we will not. And yes, that the reason they said they were switching, to save the state money. When was the last time you remember any local, state or federal gubment entity doing anything to save us money? Oh sure they said this or that would save us money, you know, like the mandatory auto insurance thing or obamacare but we all know that as soon as they MANDATE something they know that we then HAVE to pay whatever they want to charge , and all they do is come up with lie after lie to try to justify why the cost just keeps going up. F-ing theives all.

ddbs00

Oct 1, 2015
    I guess they don't want to issue anything that even looks like a state issued credential. They stopped putting pictures on them for similar reasons... folks were using them as government issued IDs, which the were.

Not true. They stopped printing cards because the printers they used for them are trash and jammed up constantly. It became such a headache they finally gave up.

Also not true about the pictures. They stopped putting pictures on HQL cards because they were getting those pictures from the MVA without a MOU between the agencies and without the MVA's consent using software developed by MSP. Rather than go through that hassle and other legal issues they removed the pictures.

ddbs00

Oct 1, 2015
    It will lower the cost for the state, the stated reason for the switch. So, they will have more money but we will not. And yes, that the reason they said they were switching, to save the state money. When was the last time you remember any local, state or federal gubment entity doing anything to save us money? Oh sure they said this or that would save us money, you know, like the mandatory auto insurance thing or obamacare but we all know that as soon as they MANDATE something they know that we then HAVE to pay whatever they want to charge , and all they do is come up with lie after lie to try to justify why the cost just keeps going up. F-ing theives all.

I'm not arguing about the government and all that, but I can tell you that a physical HQL, meaning the stock/media, laminate, and ribbon cost about $2.30/card. Could they reduce the cost by an equal amount especially considering they already sent you the same letter they're sending now? Sure. Will they bother for a little over $2? No.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I'm not arguing about the government and all that, but I can tell you that a physical HQL, meaning the stock/media, laminate, and ribbon cost about $2.30/card. Could they reduce the cost by an equal amount especially considering they already sent you the same letter they're sending now? Sure. Will they bother for a little over $2? No.

The State of Maryland has absolutely no problem wasting money in every other endeavor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom