• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I'm doing pretty good for my age (60) when it comes to hearing, especially considering I wasn't all that diligent about protecting it when I was on active duty and wore a pair of Sennheiser headphones for the better part of ten years in the broadcasting business. I'm surprised it's still as good as it is but, I haven't had my hearing tested in decades. I think it's still pretty decent although my wife might tell you it's very selective at times.

Lately, I've been wanting to upgrade the ear muffs I've been using for the past seven years to something that has an adjustable volume setting and that sit a little bit lighter on my noggin. Seeking suggestions/recommendations, war stories, what to stay away from, etc. What are you using?

I greatly appreciate the gift of good hearing and would like to preserve and protect it as best that I can. I'd hate not being freaked-out by things like screaming paper towel dispensers in Audi dealership bathrooms. That would suck. That noise was achieved by slate floors, marble countertops and an 18 ft. ceiling. I posted it on YT about a year and a half ago because it made me laugh and take a quick step back and say, holy crap! I watched it again yesterday and WTH, it has had almost 3k views. LOL I didn't even know that screaming paper towel dispensers were 'a thing' on YT.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    I know a lot of guys who like the honeywell howard leight amplified ear muffs. I have them too. They like their thin profile for cheek weld on stock.

johnkorz

Feb 25, 2013
    Savage
    I am using these. 3M PELTOR Tactical Earplug TEP-100, 1 Kit EA/Case. They are a bit expensive but its your hearing you are trying to protect. So they are worth it. Just my recommendation.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Not an earmuff, but I've found the custom fitted ear plugs to work quite well for me. Had them done by a lady at one of the gun shows several years ago.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    In photography, there's an old saw: don't buy your first tripod, buy your third tripod, first. Because you'll throw the other two away when you finally realize it's worth spending the money on the right tool in the first place. You'd THINK I'd have that lesson down, by now. But no. We're now on the third set of earpro, and believe we've finally done it right. Sordin Supreme Pro X muffs for the win. The electronic dampening is extremely nimble (Mrs Occam says she can finally hear the steel clangs in the milliseconds after her muffs clamp down on her muzzle blast), the stereo imaging is very good, and they're very comfortable. She went with the kind that has the spring section around the back of the head, and only a velcro-adjustable cloth band over the head (these are usually meant for people wearing helmets).

Test drove them this weekend. They are also very slim, and don't get in the way when using a long gun, or hugging a small carbine up close. Won't get rid of the Walkers and others - those are for guest shooters/spectators as needed. But the Sordins have finally scratched the nagging earpro itch.

HokieKev

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    I am using these. 3M PELTOR Tactical Earplug TEP-100, 1 Kit EA/Case. They are a bit expensive but its your hearing you are trying to protect. So they are worth it. Just my recommendation.

Looks like there is a newer version of this product available, the TEP-200. Approx. $400.00. A bit pricey; I've been lusting after these - but can't bring myself to pay that kind of money. My usage is just not quite high enough to justify that kind of investment.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Rechargea...G796XFAV6SE&psc=1&refRID=TS6RWZZBRG796XFAV6SE

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I really appreciate the info and advice. I was budgeting myself in the $150-200 range but, I may have to reconsider!

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I really appreciate the info and advice. I was budgeting myself in the $150-200 range but, I may have to reconsider!

Got the new Sorbins for more like $270, but think we're going to throw another few dollars on the pile and get the often recommended accessory gel ear pads for those longer days at the range. Life's too short for uncomfortable hearing protection.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Got the new Sorbins for more like $270, but think we're going to throw another few dollars on the pile and get the often recommended accessory gel ear pads for those longer days at the range. Life's too short for uncomfortable hearing protection.

I appreciate your input. I used to grab a couple of foam earplugs and go in my younger days but, that doesn't cut it anymore. Neither do bulky (but effective) ear muffs that weigh more than they should so, I think it's time to invest a few extra $ in something that's an improvement.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I used to grab a couple of foam earplugs and go in my younger days

My wife and I both have some persistent ringing from being that casual years ago. Focused on never making that any worse (and on being comfortable, and in matches, being able to hear what's going on).

So far, the Sorbins have made working with both 223 and 308 comfortable enough that our sometimes instinct to double up with foamies and muffs gives way to just the muffs. Haven't yet been in a lane next to some joker with a muzzle brake on a high powered rifle - that almost always has me doubling up so I can resist the urge to scold the RO for putting that guy near the civilized shooters.

kb830

MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2020
    Clarksville, MD
    I have a set of Walker Razor Slims electronic ear muffs, I like them a lot.

I've seen a lot of talk (forums, articles) about the Honeywell Howard Leight electronic ear muffs. So I picked up a pair for when I take someone with me to the range. Tried them out myself and I felt like they weren't as quiet as the Walker Razor Slims. I took them apart - seems like there are some gaps in the housing to let noise in, little noise dampening and what noise dampening there is seems very thin.

Popped open the Walker Razor Slims and it seems to be sealed better, more "substantial" sound dampening material (but still not a lot), though still what seems to be some space for more. Saw some videos about adding more, so I think I'll try that. Bought some Noisefighters replacement gel ear pads (they were on backorder) and they seem like they will be much more comfortable, and supposedly seal better, hope to get to the range this weekend to test.

The Honeywell Howard Leight were sent back, and bought another set of the Walker Razor Slim.

YMMV.....

mdbassplayer

Feb 1, 2017
    I usually double up regardless of inside or outside (too many years in loud rock bands to want ANY additional damage).

I start with Surefire EP10 Foam plugs ($19) that use Comply tips that are more comfortable than anything else I have tried and easily replaceable when they wear out. When those aren't enough (indoors or shooting anything with a brake) I add a set of Walker's Razor Slims ($60) (I have two) as my first attempt with the equivalently priced Howard Lights died right around a year. The Walker's are now several years old and working fine.

I have not tried any of the more expensive solutions because I haven't felt the need with this combination.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

The EEP-100 is about $200 less.

The differences are:

The TEP is a bit better sealed against water and dust.

The TEP case accepts 3-AA batteries and can charge from that, the EEP requires a USB charger, like a cell phone charger.

The TEP comes with one set of the Screw plugs for a bit more NRR. But you will need to buy more anyway

TEP is tan, EEP is green.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom