• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I don’t fully understand what I’m looking at but it’s different and i like it!!!

Is it one solid piece of metal?

It's solid, but I think the loop is probably forged separately from the blade. At least that was my impression, but the guy I bought one from says they're forged from one piece. Hence this edit.

They come in various shapes, but all have the loop handle. Used by the Tiv people in more-or-less central Africa, my understanding is that they are a backup weapon used by their archers, held in the hand not holding the bow, for use at close quarters should their position be overrun.

As I was not there at the time, this may be true; I merely pass on whay I've been told. They are attractive weapons for sure, with graceful blades and attention paid to pretty elegant ornamentation.

I've uploaded a couple closeups of the ornamentation; the pic with the goldish color in the grooves was a surprise. The whole handle was covered in thick black patinated rust. As you can see, a fair amount of time and effort was spent to make these things more than just tools. All the ones I've seen are like that, though I admit some of the blades are less than graceful. One I've seen is basically a circular disc, with a point. I really like both of mine, though.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      132.5 KB · Views: 448
    • small3.jpg
      small3.jpg
      68.6 KB · Views: 452
    Last edited:

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I took a couple more pics; one of the inside of the loop, and two of opposite sides of the same dagger handle, to illustrate that the designs are different, yet related.

Attachments

• 20181030_013656_HDR_resized.jpg
      20181030_013656_HDR_resized.jpg
      42.9 KB · Views: 439
    • 20181030_013732_HDR_resized.jpg
      20181030_013732_HDR_resized.jpg
      48.5 KB · Views: 425
    • 20181030_013811_HDR_resized.jpg
      20181030_013811_HDR_resized.jpg
      56.2 KB · Views: 444

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Love those old African knives, here's some historic American blades from WWII, Civil War, and war of 1812(possibly from 1812, cut down early American eagle head sword)....

Attachments

• 20181027_201331.jpg
      20181027_201331.jpg
      44.4 KB · Views: 454
    • 20181027_205634.jpg
      20181027_205634.jpg
      61.9 KB · Views: 465
    • 20181028_215805.jpg
      20181028_215805.jpg
      40.6 KB · Views: 460
    • 20181012_204032.jpg
      20181012_204032.jpg
      35.4 KB · Views: 426

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    You should see what you could buy for the price of some of those Randalls posted earlier...definitely too rich for my pockets.

Yeah, that's about starting-price for a new Chris Reeve folder in any configuration.

I've been knife-shopping online almost every night for the past month and I'm amazed by the art of knife making. Been educating myself on different types of steel and construction materials. Blame it on 'Forged In Fire' on The History Channel. I never thought much about knives until I watched that show and saw how much physical effort and creativity it required to make a quality blade. Now, I have a far greater appreciation and no longer surprised by the asking-price.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    ylCtE5J.jpg

My first Microtech. I'm relatively new to (nicer) knives and had never even heard of Microtech until I recently talked to a friend who spent several years in Afghanistan ridding the world of the Taliban. He carried a Socom Elite and now I see why. This is some serious shit.

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    I bought one of the Socom Elites too. Awesome blades. Easily one of my favorites.
    This video may have made an appearance on the site before but it's new to me. They have 3 videos total on their channel. Pretty amazing. Stupid but entertaining.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I bought one of the Socom Elites too. Awesome blades. Easily one of my favorites.
    This video may have made an appearance on the site before but it's new to me. They have 3 videos total on their channel. Pretty amazing. Stupid but entertaining.

Damn, that's hard to watch! Had me cringing from start to finish.

YucromB.jpg

Easy to understand why it would be anyone's favorite. Build quality is amazing. I've been playing around with it all day and the blade deploys so smoothly now that it feels like its assisted.

Last edited:

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

That video makes me want to a other one

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    That video makes me want to a other one

I like this reviewer's channel. I like how he uses the center console armrest in his car as a stage and sounds totally unscripted/off-the-cuff.

I'd also be remiss if I didn't mention the online store who fulfilled my order because they did a great job too. I ordered with hotel points via Amazon but the knife came from EKnives in Hixson, TN. I called prior to ordering and Clayton there was happy to answer all questions. He definitely knows his stuff.

https://www.eknives.com/

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Working in rural Northern PA the past week provided the opportunity to carry the Socom Elite on several occasions and while it's definitely a large knife, it wasn't uncomfortable and didn't feel overly heavy in a pants pocket. Quite the contrary in fact. I knew it was there but it wasn't a distraction in any way.

However, it did leave me wanting something with a slightly smaller profile to EDC. Amazing knife, though. I can find almost nothing to criticize about the Socom Elite other than being on the large side. If/when Microtech ever tools-up to build the mini version of it, I'll be among the first in line to get one.

UKHnc28.jpg

I had heard of Guardian Tactical but I didn't know that two of their main guys were former-Microtech employees who left in 2013 to start their own knife company. The Helix Nano is a scaled-down version of their full-size Helix and with a 3.25" blade and weight of only 3.8 ounces, it should make a nice EDC. I guess I'll know, for sure, when it gets here next week.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Working in rural Northern PA the past week provided the opportunity to carry the Socom Elite on several occasions and while it's definitely a large knife, it wasn't uncomfortable and didn't feel overly heavy in a pants pocket. Quite the contrary in fact. I knew it was there but it wasn't a distraction in any way.

However, it did leave me wanting something with a slightly smaller profile to EDC. Amazing knife, though. I can find almost nothing to criticize about the Socom Elite other than being on the large side. If/when Microtech ever tools-up to build the mini version of it, I'll be among the first in line to get one.

UKHnc28.jpg

I had heard of Guardian Tactical but I didn't know that two of their main guys were former-Microtech employees who left in 2013 to start their own knife company. The Helix Nano is a scaled-down version of their full-size Helix and with a 3.25" blade and weight of only 3.8 ounces, it should make a nice EDC. I guess I'll know, for sure, when it gets here next week.

I'm having a hard time finding and all black tanto socom elite.

The one above is nice too....time to do some research? Guradian MC390?

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Here's a few pick up over the past few months. I probably should get a job.

Very impressive collection!

I'm having a hard time finding and all black tanto socom elite.

The one above is nice too....time to do some research? Guradian MC390?

Ye Olde Cutlery Shop had some Tantos a few weeks ago, although, they may be out now. Phone: (410) 495-8209.

I'm pretty sure all of Guardian Tactical's production knives (at the moment) are using CPM-154 steel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom