Where to buy deer meat in/around Gaithersburg?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • O2b4wln

Sep 16, 2011
    Tellico or Moab
    Howdy folks,

I'm not a hunter and don't know anyone who is, I was wondering if you all could recommend a good place to purchase some deer meat.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    O2b4wln

southern71

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 23, 2012
    Not to be rude but it is much better to harvest one yourself. If you are not able to hunt, just head down any road just before sunrise or right after sunset and you will find an unlimited supply of fresh killed deer. Not sure of the legality of picking them up here in MD. In NC we were able to harvest them if we called the Wildlife Resource Commission. Roadkill..... TASTY!

garyad

There used to be a market in Bethesda that sold "exotic" meats such as bison, venison, and various others. All were USDA inspected and I believe farm raised. Don't know if it is still there and I can't recall the name.

SouthCo

Nov 20, 2012
    Not to be rude but it is much better to harvest one yourself. If you are not able to hunt, just head down any road just before sunrise or right after sunset and you will find an unlimited supply of fresh killed deer. Not sure of the legality of picking them up here in MD. In NC we were able to harvest them if we called the Wildlife Resource Commission. Roadkill..... TASTY!

On two seperate occassions, I have witnessed a fresh hit deer being thrown in the back of a truck. I don't know if it's legal here in MD but I bet the MDOT guys dont mind one less mess to clean up. :)

O2b4wln

Sep 16, 2011
    Tellico or Moab
    @ marko - I don't work for the gov't I own my own business. Of course after I get my paycheck I think I might be working for them for minimum wage...

@Southern71 - no offense taken, I just don't want to spend the gas looking for a fresh kill and then trying to clean it not to mention that the wife won't look to kindly on that.

Joseph87'

Nobama
    Dec 22, 2011
    Charleston SC
    Pm an email. I live where Gaithersburg meets Germantown at Watkins mill. Next bow hunt you can grab some of what I give to charity. I personally dislike it but think hunting for the charity makes sense. Killing two birds with one stone

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    On two seperate occassions, I have witnessed a fresh hit deer being thrown in the back of a truck. I don't know if it's legal here in MD but I bet the MDOT guys dont mind one less mess to clean up. :)

If you hit a deer with a vehicle and choose to keep the deer you must obtain a tag either from DNR or the local police department. That's the law.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Had I got one today I would gladly offer you some. I'm hitting the woods again for muzeloader. I dont have a prob taking a doe if you cover the butcher fee.

Only prob I'm having this year is the deer population seems to have vanished where I hunt. Never had any shortage in the past but this year no one is seeing much.

ibang1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Can you buy deer or any other meat out of state? I don't hunt and not too many people I know got their own deer meat.

I hope come next year this will be different.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Can you buy deer or any other meat out of state? I don't hunt and not too many people I know got their own deer meat.

I hope come next year this will be different.

Side Note:

This is common practice at any deer meat processor. You get whatever comes out of that big bucket at the butcher shop. Anyone who thinks they got their meat from their deer has bumped their head. This is another reason why I butcher my own deer from field to freezer. I know what deer I'm eating. I don't like the ideer of eating something that might have been road kill or had some infectious disease. If my deer had bad meat then I can cull that myself.

You also never seem to get quite the total amount of meat back that you should have. I've seen guys go to local shops and come back with hardly what was actually on that deer.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    For a field dressed doe est 120lbs. How much meat should you end up with? Did lose a front shoulder though bullet entered and bounced off opposing shoulder and shattered.

Just curious what you think? I'm confident I got my deer but Im not sure I got it all.

If I had the time or space I would prefer process it myself but living in a townhouse makes that a little tough....

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    For a field dressed doe est 120lbs. How much meat should you end up with? Did lose a front shoulder though bullet entered and bounced off opposing shoulder and shattered.

Just curious what you think? I'm confident I got my deer but Im not sure I got it all.

If I had the time or space I would prefer process it myself but living in a townhouse makes that a little tough....
    Approximately 1/3 of the total weight. 120 lbs gutted was probably a 150 lb deer. You'll probably yield about 50 lbs of meat.

I process a lot of deer with friends who are part of a wildlife management group. If we paid a butcher to do it, we'd go broke.

It takes us about 1 hour per deer, which includes vacuum sealing. If we grind the meat, we add another 30 minutes per deer. We do this at a casual pace and often are socializing and drinking a beer while we work.

If you quarter the deer in the field (don't forget the back straps and the inner loins), it would probably make townhouse processing a lot easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom