• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Love the class concept. I know I'm guilty of coming to carbine class with a rocking belt and a performance tuned rifle, but real world, it's a lot more likely you've got a mag in your pants pocket, maybe an (A)IWB holstered pistol, and that's about it. The drills in the afternoon also looked worthwhile (and fun!).

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Love the class concept. I know I'm guilty of coming to carbine class with a rocking belt and a performance tuned rifle, but real world, it's a lot more likely you've got a mag in your pants pocket, maybe an (A)IWB holstered pistol, and that's about it. The drills in the afternoon also looked worthwhile (and fun!).

As I said in the review, students came with lots of different gear, partly because it was included in the course info emailed to us that he would go over plate carrier setups and such. You certainly wouldn't have looked out of place with a battle belt or PC. You would be liked this class.

I'll be posting videos of Rapier's demos of the final two drills on our Facebook page tomorrow, along with one of him simply deploying his AR from his pack on the clock. I think he got his first round off in around 9 seconds.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Thanks for the AAR. Sounds like a great course that should be a 2 day course in the future.

Did he hold the force on force course?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks.

Yes, force on force was held.

So, for those outside the knowledge box on this, the class I took was on Friday followed by a two day force on force class over the wknd. Oddly, the force on force still wasn't full, so some people who were planning to only do the compact carbine class signed up on the spot for force on force.

I did not sign up on the spot (wish I did, because the weather was beautiful all weekend!). Here's why:

When Rapier's classes started to go live around New Years, there was a force on force class listed for November in CT right near my friend's house. So I signed up. Then compact carbine in Lewisberry went live, so I signed up for that. Then and only then did force on force in Lewisberry go live, but I'd already signed up for the CT one. No big deal. I'll look forward to visiting my friend anyway. So you'll have to wait until mid-November for an AAR on the force on force class.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    As I said in the review, students came with lots of different gear, partly because it was included in the course info emailed to us that he would go over plate carrier setups and such. You certainly wouldn't have looked out of place with a battle belt or PC. You would be liked this class.
    Yeah, but I thought trying to run it like you'd fight it made sense in this class' context. A lot of times, I'm just like... I'm doing whatever makes the class easiest to do, and while I think that's got a lot of merits for learning technique while not fighting gear, it can sometimes be unrealistic. Maybe that'll become a trend.

I'll be posting videos of Rapier's demos of the final two drills on our Facebook page tomorrow, along with one of him simply deploying his AR from his pack on the clock. I think he got his first round off in around 9 seconds.
    That's a pretty good time for pack carry.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Yeah, but I thought trying to run it like you'd fight it made sense in this class' context. A lot of times, I'm just like... I'm doing whatever makes the class easiest to do, and while I think that's got a lot of merits for learning technique while not fighting gear, it can sometimes be unrealistic. Maybe that'll become a trend.

That's a pretty good time for pack carry.

Yes, a course like this I would personally try to do in as "regular" gear as possible. Other than the two mag pouches on my belt (which I kept covered by my shirt throughout the day), I did the class in my normal concealed mode. I'm just saying you wouldn't have looked out of place had you used a battle belt or PC. Rapier said that he doesn't favor a battle belt except for some very overt missions. Since he conceals a handgun, two knives, a light and TQ daily, putting on a battle belt quickly would just cover up most of those items, whereas you can throw on a PC and still have his regular CC gear on and accessible.

Posted the three videos I took during class on our Facebook page. Looking at the time at the bottom of the screen, looks like I was right in that 9 seconds guess, more or less.

sleepingdino

Mar 13, 2013
    People's Republic of Mont Co
    I had to drop out of the FoF course unfortunately.

The FoF course involves a lot of grappling and I can’t afford to have guys breathing on me as I see lots of old people. It is a great combatives course that was more hands on than the integrated combatives class. I took it in NJ 2 years ago and it is worth doing again. The program was so full there wasn’t time for a stress course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I had to drop out of the FoF course unfortunately.

The FoF course involves a lot of grappling and I can’t afford to have guys breathing on me as I see lots of old people.
    Yeah, I've been dodging FoF and CQC classes because of this concern. I mean, I can live with dudes in masks being closer by while I'm shooting, but come on, I'm not going to go roll with randos in the middle of a pandemic. Makes zero sense to me from a risk management perspective. Even if I had zero concern about dying from the virus, I still wouldn't want to give it to my family if I could avoid it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom