• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pensfaninmd

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 28, 2010
    Harford County
    I am interested in watching a NSSA skirmish but having a hard time determining if they are cancelled or still on. I have been on their website but a lot of the units/clubs that have links are dead or no links. Are there any members here that are skirmishers from Central Maryland? Would like to hear what it’s like being a member etc. I am very interested in trying it out once I find a suitable rifle. I have a few BP revolvers already..

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    As far as I know, all NSSA matches have been canceled, until farther notice.

I’ve been a member for almost 20 years. A lot of fun, very family friendly, great people. It’s the hardest type of shooting sport I’ve ever played. Everyone shooting at the same time, people yelling their target is HIT, or not, the Commotion, smoke, and the noise.
    If you learn to shoot well in that environment, your scores in other shooting sports will improve Immensely

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Thanks to COVID, we're on a month-by-month cancellation of Skirmishes. Everything through mid-July has been cancelled, but the Fall shooting schedule looks like it might hold.

You can get the most current information on our Bulletin Board. I've been in for 42 years, I grew up doing this. We're as much extended family as shooting organization. And like any family, we help each other out. Shooters are helpful to each other, black powder shooters are particularly so.

I will say that the standard of marksmanship is high, our top shooters often shoot for the USA at the World Muzzle-Loading Championships. So come out, shoot with us, and have fun!

Pensfaninmd

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 28, 2010
    Harford County
    Thanks to COVID, we're on a month-by-month cancellation of Skirmishes. Everything through mid-July has been cancelled, but the Fall shooting schedule looks like it might hold.

You can get the most current information on our Bulletin Board. I've been in for 42 years, I grew up doing this. We're as much extended family as shooting organization. And like any family, we help each other out. Shooters are helpful to each other, black powder shooters are particularly so.

I will say that the standard of marksmanship is high, our top shooters often shoot for the USA at the World Muzzle-Loading Championships. So come out, shoot with us, and have fun!

Great info, thanks! I am just looking to shoot and get better, certainly no marksman lol. I just like shooting black powder and new to it. I will look over the bulletin board as suggested. Hopefully, there will be a skirmish close for me to watch.. nice having members here that are also NSSA members too for the insider info. Thanks!

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Around here, almost all N-SSA competition is held at our main range, Fort Shenandoah, in Winchester, VA. This is a monster-sized range, with a rifle firing line capable of handling 400 shooters per relay. Plus the pistol range, which is not quite as large. The good news is that under ordinary circumstances (meaning no COVID), there's a shoot every three weeks or so from late March through the end of October. Plus the Snowball Skirmish in mid-January, if you're that much of a glutton for punishment. And the range is open for members' use year-round.

The way the N-SSA is structured, individual shooters are members of teams that replicate (kind of) Civil War units. Some of them can be middling hard-core about reenactor-grade uniforms...others are more laid back. Most units in this area are pretty laid back, we're more into the shooting side of the sport. There is an individual membership, but it's sort of a recruit depot - you're expected to find a team to join.

The shoots to see would be the Fall Potomac Regionals, the weekend after Labor Day - and the Fall Nationals. Nationals are massive, five-day events. Individual competition Wednesday, Thursday, and part of Friday. Revolver team, mortar, and smoothbore Friday. Carbine team and artillery Saturday. Musket team Sunday. Over 3,000 competitors.

Pensfaninmd

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 28, 2010
    Harford County
    Around here, almost all N-SSA competition is held at our main range, Fort Shenandoah, in Winchester, VA. This is a monster-sized range, with a rifle firing line capable of handling 400 shooters per relay. Plus the pistol range, which is not quite as large. The good news is that under ordinary circumstances (meaning no COVID), there's a shoot every three weeks or so from late March through the end of October. Plus the Snowball Skirmish in mid-January, if you're that much of a glutton for punishment. And the range is open for members' use year-round.

The way the N-SSA is structured, individual shooters are members of teams that replicate (kind of) Civil War units. Some of them can be middling hard-core about reenactor-grade uniforms...others are more laid back. Most units in this area are pretty laid back, we're more into the shooting side of the sport. There is an individual membership, but it's sort of a recruit depot - you're expected to find a team to join.

The shoots to see would be the Fall Potomac Regionals, the weekend after Labor Day - and the Fall Nationals. Nationals are massive, five-day events. Individual competition Wednesday, Thursday, and part of Friday. Revolver team, mortar, and smoothbore Friday. Carbine team and artillery Saturday. Musket team Sunday. Over 3,000 competitors.

Now you have me even more excited to check this out.. I don’t think i I want to be a re-enactor but definitely would like to do the shooting stuff with a good bunch of people and learning the ropes..... where are the local teams located? Again, thank you for the information and help!

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Try https://www.n-ssa.net/vbforum/forumdisplay.php/26-N-SSA-New-Prospective-Members-Inquiries

The greater National Capital area has several N-SSA regions - they overlap. A region has about 20 teams, and the teams themselves overlap. My own unit, McGregor's Battery, started in Maryland, but now has members in Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, and North Carolina - and one guy who retired to Florida but comes up for Nationals. I'm in Deep Southern Maryland, otherwise I'd snap you up as a recruit myself.

Pensfaninmd

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 28, 2010
    Harford County
    Try https://www.n-ssa.net/vbforum/forumdisplay.php/26-N-SSA-New-Prospective-Members-Inquiries

The greater National Capital area has several N-SSA regions - they overlap. A region has about 20 teams, and the teams themselves overlap. My own unit, McGregor's Battery, started in Maryland, but now has members in Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, and North Carolina - and one guy who retired to Florida but comes up for Nationals. I'm in Deep Southern Maryland, otherwise I'd snap you up as a recruit myself.

Mike,
    Thanks again!

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    No, you just need to sign up for the BB. Not a problem, we get a lot of non-members. The N-SSA pretty much has the portfolio on Civil War era small arms. There's a Facebook page, too.

Pensfaninmd

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 28, 2010
    Harford County
    No, you just need to sign up for the BB. Not a problem, we get a lot of non-members. The N-SSA pretty much has the portfolio on Civil War era small arms. There's a Facebook page, too.

They have the register button disabled. I will keep watching the posts on Facebook. If there is anything you think I should be aware of, please keep me posted..
    I wonder how many N-SSA members are on MDS...

M1842

Jul 27, 2009
    N-SSA Member

They have the register button disabled. I will keep watching the posts on Facebook. If there is anything you think I should be aware of, please keep me posted..
    I wonder how many N-SSA members are on MDS...

I am also a member of the N-SSA. I can say that shooting on the firing line is a hell of an experience!

M1842

Jul 27, 2009
    My unit, R. Preston Chews Battery, has people from MD, PA, WV, VA, and at one point OH. I grew up in Rockville, MD but live in Charles Town, WV now. The original Chews Battery was raised from men in Frederick Co, VA.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Somebody on here put the thought in my head about getting this recently.:innocent0 So, yesterday I put a few rounds through my Enfield (Euroarms repro 3band)...and realized that this is not something I can just jump right into.

1)I need to find some way to lighten up the 20lb trigger pull, or make my trigger finger a lot stronger. :sad20: (I'll have to check to see if I could get my middle finger on the trigger to help out:o )

2) From the bench, it shoots over a foot right at 50 yards. I didn't try 100...that kind of Kentucky Windage probably does some trespassing in Tennessee:o I think it was too consistent to be caused completely by #1. How does one make such drastic windage adjustments to the sights? I'm pretty sure they are both (silver?) soldered on.

M1842

Jul 27, 2009
    What I have done with sights is to cut a lot into the front sight and solder a taller brass piece into the slot. Then go to the range and shoot and file until you get the front sight height correct for you. As purchased they are made to hit man sized targets at 300 yds, aim for the belt buckle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom