• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Veblen

Feb 16, 2018
    MoCo
    Anyone know when the new guide & hunting calendar will be available?

Devonian

Ultimate Member
    Apr 15, 2008
    Oh the suburban deer management zone makes me entirely happy. I'm sure Howard county will find a way to screw it up.

The safety zone is too large and the main limiting factor for suburban hunting. They can change to unlimited bag limits but it won’t make any difference if there’s limited areas to hunt. I have 3.5 acres and can’t legally hunt my property which is ridiculous.

Presumptuous

Awesome Member
    Aug 17, 2016
    Suburbia
    The safety zone is too large and the main limiting factor for suburban hunting. They can change to unlimited bag limits but it won’t make any difference if there’s limited areas to hunt. I have 3.5 acres and can’t legally hunt my property which is ridiculous.

Strong agreement here. Any safe shot should be allowed for elevated archery.

Devonian

Ultimate Member
    Apr 15, 2008
    Strong agreement here. Any safe shot should be allowed for elevated archery.

Maybe it’s just politics and establishing the suburban zone is the first step in a process that will eventually lead to more opportunity.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Yup. I am friends with a state delegate (dem). Discussing with him getting it expanded (I guess really contracted would be the right term). Not sure if it’ll happen or not, but it seems somewhat optimistic might be able to get it actually introduced in the next session or two depending on how dorked up this next session is with everything.

Trying to push at 100yds from the ground or 50 from a stand archery zone either for HoCo, or push it state wide (or lesser distance if the county decides to implement a further reduced safety zone).

On my 4.4 acres in HoCo I’ve got around a 25yd bubble directly behind my house that is outside the safety zone. Doesn’t help that most of the other properties around me are 1.3-1.7 acres (on one side there is another 4.4 acre property and a like 3 acre property). And my property is a funky shape too.

But I’ve talked to most of my neighbors and they are cool with me his hunting deer (a few are cool with me hunting whatever with whatever, but I pretty much limit to deer his hunting and some selective squirrel and groundhog pressure right at the house and garden. Which is outside the safety zones or it’s in an area of my property I know that neighbor is cool with me shooting squirrels and what not with a 22).

Heck one neighbor is fine with me hunting in their 4.4 acres also. “If you want to setup on our balcony and shoot down at the deer, please do! Less of them would be better”

Not sure I’d really actively hunt their property, but I won’t hesitate to take a shot at a deer standing over the property line or retrieve one without asking (because they’ve said many times don’t bother asking, just do it). Overall gives me around 2.5 or so acres I can reasonably hunt. Mostly the back woods near my creek and a bit of my side yard near my garden. Lots of deer traffic.

But it just takes a neighbor moving in who is anti-hunting and my ability to hunt on my property goes to about zero. I’d chance a deer running on to their property if they were. But not getting tagged with a safety zone violation. I’ve got a neighbor a few houses down who actually misted up and got snooty when my wife told her I hunted deer. “You’d KILL Bambi?!?”

“Yeah. Eat her too” was my wife’s response.

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    Any energy requirement listed? I didn't see it. I'm assuming they still want the 1200/700 foot pounds. Lots of guys will be hunting with an AR9. Lol

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Actually I think if you necked it up, it’d be 40s&w

10mm is a longer case.
    I don't think I'd try that(necking .357 Sig up), but I'm no reloading expert. I wouldn't think necking a 10mm into a 357 Sig would be a problem, but I think I'd prefer the 10mm.

Just kidding about the .357 Sig. Obviously not a straight wall case. I still need to sit down and read through the new regs for this season.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    When do the paper copies hit the counter at Walmart? I like to read it, and get the paper tags

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom