• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sparecaster

Jun 26, 2013
    If this turns into a big lawsuit issue, I'd be willing to contribute to a gofundme, or directly to the parents.

Despite all the "protectionism" built into the regulations, I view this as a massive over-reach.How many million children are being monitored, vs how many actual problematic situations might be prevented?

Thank you for being one of many who has offered to help out. We have retained counsel and will be deciding how to proceed shortly.

fred2207

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 14, 2013
    PG
    Agreed, but I happen to be associate general counsel for a very large public school system and having discussed this situation with a couple of my colleagues, none of us were of the opinion that this was a mandatory reporting situation. We all agreed that a call to the parent would have been a much more reasonable first step.

Whether anything was done that creates a legal cause of action for the victims here is another discussion entirely.

-Rob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BS, there was no reasonable reason for the school to do anything--that includes calling the parents. You and your colleagues conclusion is just another liberal influenced response...:sad20:

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I would have been pissed. Pissed at the situation and pissed at my wife or anybody else in my family that allowed law enforcement into my home without a warrant.

I know the officers were just doing their job. However, it my job and my wife's job to tell them that they are not allowed into our home without a warrant.

Too many parents are too worried about what is going on in other people's lives. They spend too much time sticking their nose where it does not belong, instead of focusing on what is going on with their own marriage and kids.

This reminds me of a conversation my wife had with a mutual friend of ours. Her daughter was in our son's class. My son was missing a soccer game at the end of September a couple years ago when I took him to hunter safety classes one weekend, hosted by two members on this board. Anyway, this lady asked my wife where our son was, and my wife told her. This lady replied, "Isn't your son too young for guns?" My wife replied, "Fabs has been hunting and shooting since he was a kid. I've seen him shoot. He knows what he is doing safety wise and I completely trust him to take [our son] hunting and shooting." Of course, my son had already been shooting before I even decided to take him to the hunter safety course.

OP, good luck to you. Steam would be coming out of my ears, but ever since my wife and I bought a place together, she has known that the police do not come into our house unless we are the ones that have called them or they have a warrant. I discuss this with my kids too once in a while over dinner.

Like you and your wife, I have nothing in my house to hide. However, I also believe in my rights and enjoying my residence free of unreasonable searches.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I would have been pissed. Pissed at the situation and pissed at my wife or anybody else in my family that allowed law enforcement into my home without a warrant.

I know the officers were just doing their job. However, it my job and my wife's job to tell them that they are not allowed into our home without a warrant.

Too many parents are too worried about what is going on in other people's lives. They spend too much time sticking their nose where it does not belong, instead of focusing on what is going on with their own marriage and kids.

This reminds me of a conversation my wife had with a mutual friend of ours. Her daughter was in our son's class. My son was missing a soccer game at the end of September a couple years ago when I took him to hunter safety classes one weekend, hosted by two members on this board. Anyway, this lady asked my wife where our son was, and my wife told her. This lady replied, "Isn't your son too young for guns?" My wife replied, "Fabs has been hunting and shooting since he was a kid. I've seen him shoot. He knows what he is doing safety wise and I completely trust him to take [our son] hunting and shooting." Of course, my son had already been shooting before I even decided to take him to the hunter safety course.

OP, good luck to you. Steam would be coming out of my ears, but ever since my wife and I bought a place together, she has known that the police do not come into our house unless we are the ones that have called them or they have a warrant. I discuss this with my kids too once in a while over dinner.

Like you and your wife, I have nothing in my house to hide. However, I also believe in my rights and enjoying my residence free of unreasonable searches.

My son posted a pic on his Instagram a few years back of him holding my AK-47 when it finally got built. The headmistress of his school called my wife with “concerns”. My wife said “we are a family of shooters. Everyone in the house is a safe, competent shooter. Do you really think our 12 year old is running around unsupervised with an AK-47?” The end.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Can she file suit claiming she was intimidated into a warrant less search of her house?
    No..., She consented.
    To each their own. No police have the right/authority to search your house for any reason, without a warrant or consent... If you or your wife gave search consent, you have nothing to complain about..

The complaint was not about the actions of the police.

Unless I’m reading it wrong...

The complaint was about the “Karen” school officials who called the police.

I believe that is where the complaint should be.

The ONLY ones who did wrong in all of this... were the nosy Karens who called the police because they saw the BB guns via the video connection. F them.

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    I can understand the concern given the recent school shootings, this could have been handled discreetly via a phone call to the parents.

Thank God a no knock warrant or red flag was not issued.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Yeah, that sounds all well and good right until after the teacher overlooks it and the kid actually does something. You guys would hang the teacher out to dry in a heartbeat. Don't tell me otherwise.

****You are absolutely right. This is not exactly related, but a neighbors kid had his jeeps windshield shattered by someone in the school parking lot while he was in class and he told his teacher that he had a dash cam and had video evidence of who did it... So as to not get law enforcement or I guess higher ups involved the teacher (stupidly in hindsight) calls the rock throwers parents, and says their kid was throwing rocks in the parking lot and broke another students window,.. The parents flipped out and said their kid would *never* do that, ever, ever, ever. They set up some kind of a meeting with the parents, and the video of *their* kid clearly showing him throwing a rock through the window was presented.... You'd think the parents would just STFU and accept their kid is a delinquent, apologize for raising such a miscreant, and offer to pay for the window.... NOPE - they were *pissed* that their kid was being videotaped!!!! Insane.

So yea. You'd be hung out to dry, and probably have some kind of formal reprimand, mebbe lose your job, your reputation, and be a villain on cable TV for a while - with Anderson Cooper, Wolf Blitzer, and the harridans at the View all Tsk Tsk'ing how such a horrid teacher could ever be hired in the first place - and demand teacher sensitivity training and reform for reporting rock throwers.... or even disciplining any kid, ever, for anything.

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    Yeah, that sounds all well and good right until after the teacher overlooks it and the kid actually does something. You guys would hang the teacher out to dry in a heartbeat. Don't tell me otherwise.

Yeah, when this whole "distance" thing started we were specifically told to "keep an eye out" for things. Conversely we were also warned to make sure WE don't have anthing in our "zoomscape" that could make students go "WTF?"

I'm not sure how they're getting the screenshot though. We were told that screenshots/recordings of class meets were verboten. That rule must vary by county.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Yeah, when this whole "distance" thing started we were specifically told to "keep an eye out" for things. Conversely we were also warned to make sure WE don't have anthing in our "zoomscape" that could make students go "WTF?"

I'm not sure how they're getting the screenshot though. We were told that screenshots/recordings of class meets were verboten. That rule must vary by county.

The level to which this mandatory reporter thing is like a lot of things well intentioned but now ridiculous.

I'm sick of having to make the call because a kid says in exasperation, "if I don't get an A on this test I'll just kill myself".

They don't mean it. I know they don't mean it.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    No..., She consented.

The complaint was not about the actions of the police.

Unless I’m reading it wrong...

The complaint was about the “Karen” school officials who called the police.

I believe that is where the complaint should be.

The ONLY ones who did wrong in all of this... were the nosy Karens who called the police because they saw the BB guns via the video connection. F them.

This RD.

Lalez

BANNED!!!
    Feb 27, 2019
    Russia
    Again, Maryland is the most Communist state in the country, hands down. California and New York have nothing on Maryland when it comes to gun laws and lack of gun culture.

I would bet the farm that Maryland is the most legally unarmed citizenry in the lower 48 states thus you get stories like this where people flip out over wall ornament BB guns

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    It is possible to be polite and respectful while denying anyone, especially the government, entry to your residence.

Consider homeschooling. Your son is about to enter middle school where most things become more convoluted and in no way better.

I'm sorry you are going through this. I hope your son is not negatively impacted by the situation.

Be safe.

Sirex