• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Robert1955

Ultimate Member
    Dec 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    I want to get 2 sets of electronic earmuffs and was wondering if anyone has a recommendation? I am looking at these among others Howard Leight by Honeywell Impact Pro Sound Amplification Electronic Shooting Earmuff, Black & Grey (R-01902) Give me the good and bad you have used.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    I have used Howard Leight at work and personally own a pair of Walker Razors...no issues with either.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Something to consider is their width. I have a pair of ProEars Gold which are extremely good at noise reduction (NRR 33dB) but they're very fat, making them useless for rifle and shotgun. The Leight models seem to be much better suited for long gun use.

duffball

Jan 6, 2017
    Harford County
    I've got a pair of Howard leights, walker razor, and peltor sport 100.

The howards don't fit my head well, and don't seem to give a good seal.

The walkers fit well and have clear audio.

The peltors are the most comfortable but the audio shutoff is too sensitive, the higher models (300/500) have noise dampening instead of a shutoff.

Of the 3 the walkers are the best value, but if I could only have one I would take a higher model of the peltors.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I have tried several different brands. The Howard Leight Impact Sport are by far my favorite. They just work. The automatic shut off saves the battery unlike other brands. My only complaint is the ear padding is a bit thin. The upside is better ear pads are available as a hygiene kit.

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    What do you all think about the MSA sordin? I have Howard leights, and I like them, but aren’t thrilled either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GottaEat

Aug 24, 2014
    SOMD
    I have Howard Leight impact, Peltor 100 and MSA sordin. MSA s are the most comfortable and its especially noticeable over a long range day or match. The ear cups are a lot more comfortable and the headband doesn’t feel excessively tight around my big head. The sound is much better also. Sordins and the Peltor 100 are digital. The peltors come in a distant second with the Leights not far behind. All three have auto shut off. Of coarse this all comes at a cost. Sordins are 4-5 times as much. I would however choose the Peltor 100 over the Leights. Around $10 more but worth it, but if I were to only have one it would be the Sordin.

Mule

Just Mule
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2013
    I have couple of pairs of the 3M/Peltor 100s. At the time I bought them, they were relatively inexpensive, and cost much less than the other options available then. Now, they’re still inexpensive, but there are a couple of other options available wihin the same price range.

I haven’t had any issues with them, sound wise, and they seem to get decent battery life. However, with no other models in hand for comparison, those are just subjective data points.

Despite having rounded plastic cups on the exterior (most of the others have flat/scalloped ones), I’ve had no trouble getting into position for a proper cheek weld.

The ear cups are soft, and are comfortable for wear with both eyepro and a baseball cap.

I’ve had no problems wearing them for long periods of time, such as in classes. However, with that being said, towards the end of the afternoon, you do begin to realize you’ve got them on. Not in a painful way, but more of a “I’m aware that these things have been attached to my head via compression for a long period of time, and I can feel that now” kind of way. (fortunately, that doesnt prevent you from hearing the CMCT guys tell you it’s time to stop your run and start doing pushups :))

One final note, on a different topic... These are also a good option for kids, as well. I bought a set for my daughter to wear when we went down for the Grand Prix, so that she didn’t get all of the noise, but could still hear me. She loved them, they worked great, and she’s worn them many times since for the same purpose.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Something to consider is their width. I have a pair of ProEars Gold which are extremely good at noise reduction (NRR 33dB) but they're very fat, making them useless for rifle and shotgun. The Leight models seem to be much better suited for long gun use.

This ^

I like the HL's for thinness, but their noise reduction is not what you need for centerfire rifle - I ended up using foam under them for big rifle shooting. For centerfire hanguns I recommend something in the $100 range with +30db like the better Brownings I bought for my wife. The HL's by themselves are fine for .22.

The Brownings and similar high db reduction are just too fat for any rifle shooting

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    What do you all think about the MSA sordin? I have Howard leights, and I like them, but aren’t thrilled either.

If you're willing to spend the money, the MSA Sordins are worth it. I have a set of the Pro-X with gel earseals. I've worn them to several classes where they were on for 2-3 hours. Zero discomfort and never had any issues with sound and being able to hear the instructor. I use them for every range trip now. Even over my Peltor Comtac IIIs.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Home Depot had a sale on a set of electronic ear muffs a few years ago. Many of us here bought them. I have used them and am very please with them. I believe they sold for somewhere around $80-$90 and they were on sale for some ridiculous price of like $39. I'd have to get out my shooting bag to see what brand.

RedTide

The Water's Fine
    Jul 30, 2013
    Frederick, MD
    Hearing is a part of my job, so I always wear in-ear (foam or tri-flange vinyl) as well as electronic ear muffs. Probably over-doing it, but better to be safe than sorry.

Doing it this way, I don't notice/mind much difference in the quality of the audio. Fit is important, as others have noted, but is probably unique to the shape of your noggin. Peltor Sport models are comfortable for me, also have a set of WalMart specials and they are noticably less comfortable for a savings of probably $15.

Also of note, when in the military, my team splurged on higher end Peltors and they were great. I could hear more detail with those on than my naked ears, with the notable advantage of not going deaf. I wish I could remember the model (although they are discontinued now anyway, I'd imagine). They weren't cheap, that much I do remember.

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I have the H/L, Pro Gold 2 and the MSA. The most comfortable are the MSA. I can wear them all day, and since I RSO boy scout ranges, I sometimes do. The Pro Gold are by far the best NR, but as was stated too big for rifle use. Great for indoor ranges. I always put in the molded ear plugs under whatever muffs when indoors.
    I consider the H/L pure junk. They never give a good seal. They work for mu son though.
    My go to are the MSA. I know nothing about the Razors so please give a report

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I have the H/L, Pro Gold 2 and the MSA. The most comfortable are the MSA. I can wear them all day, and since I RSO boy scout ranges, I sometimes do. The Pro Gold are by far the best NR, but as was stated too big for rifle use. Great for indoor ranges. I always put in the molded ear plugs under whatever muffs when indoors.
    I consider the H/L pure junk. They never give a good seal. They work for mu son though.
    My go to are the MSA. I know nothing about the Razors so please give a report
    For those that double-up ear pro, is it counter productive to use the foam plugs with the electronic muffs? The point of the electronics is to hear the range commands, ducks, deer, etc...but when you stick foam plugs in doesn’t that kill your hearing those sounds you’ve just paid good money to amplify? I just got my 1st pair of S&W M&P electronics as a gift and haven’t used them yet. I’m wondering if I even want to.

I usually double-up at a public range because of the constant barrage. Big fat green Remington 36 db (I think) w/foam plugs. Can’t hear a damn thing from the RSO though. Do electronic muffs amplify the sound enough typically to let you hear thru the foam plugs? I like the idea of it, just doubting the application’s effectiveness because of lack of experience with the setup.

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    For those that double-up ear pro, is it counter productive to use the foam plugs with the electronic muffs? The point of the electronics is to hear the range commands, ducks, deer, etc...but when you stick foam plugs in doesn’t that kill your hearing those sounds you’ve just paid good money to amplify? I just got my 1st pair of S&W M&P electronics as a gift and haven’t used them yet. I’m wondering if I even want to.

I usually double-up at a public range because of the constant barrage. Big fat green Remington 36 db (I think) w/foam plugs. Can’t hear a damn thing from the RSO though. Do electronic muffs amplify the sound enough typically to let you hear thru the foam plugs? I like the idea of it, just doubting the application’s effectiveness because of lack of experience with the setup.

I’ve recently been doubling up when wearing my Howard Leights because the seal leaves something to be desired when wearing glasses. I haven’t noticed much of a difference in the amplification, but I also wasn’t subject to range commands or hunting.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I wish I could have gotten to this post sooner.

From this site, http://thebiggamehuntingblog.com/2014/10/protect-hearing-hunting-shooting/

“Additionally, some firearms produce a pressure wave strong enough cause hearing loss by damaging the bones behind the ear, even if the ear canal is protected by an ear plug. This is particularly true for people shooting indoors or those exposed to repeated shots from shotguns or rifles (such as waterfowl hunters or hunting guides). So, while ear plugs are certainly better than nothing, ear muffs are actually the most effective shooting ear protection you can wear.”

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    I have two pairs of the HL’s. First pair I’ve owned so I don’t have any comparison but I don’t feel like the fit my head as well as they should.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom