• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dec 15, 2012
    Md
    Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has current contact info on Jeremy. He wrote up an NFA Trust for me in January 2013, and I haven’t had to contact him since. I’m looking to purchase another suppressor, and with the law changes, I now need to submit info for all the trustees. Problem is, when we drew up the trust my wife was only my fiancé… and still had her maiden name.

Silencer Shop said the ATF will not accept her name change form, and that I must have the Trust amended. There is a note in the Trust that says I can make amendments… But I don’t know if it has to be some special legal way to qualify as a true amendment.

I tried contacting/ locating Jeremy, and everything I could find no longer applies to him. The email we used, the number he gave me, the updated numbers I found on the Internet... none of them apply to him any more.

I would prefer to speak with him to confirm everything is good, but most importantly, I want to know if I can merely type up something, stating my wife’s name has changed, then get it notarized. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    He's been long gone.... You can amend it yourself. Someone will be along shortly to explain. Or call an attorney like Britt Stouffer or Ed Herson. They can amend the trust properly.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Start a new trust!

As a matter of fact, I am doing a trust per NFA item from now on. That way you can do the prints and add whoever you want later.... no need to change those already around.

Dec 15, 2012
    Md
    Thanks for the quick reply’s!

Sorry to hear I hitched my wagon to a dead horse. Lol. Thanks for the link to his last post, as well. I see a couple people actually asked him how they could contact him in the future, and never received response. Maybe I’ll check in with them and see if they were PMed.

I really would like to just write something out saying that when the Trust was drafted my wife went by her maiden name (____), that we married and she changed it legally (on ____ date), and that she now goes by her new name (____)… Then have that notarized. Hopefully this step won’t cost me another few hundred dollars.

As for doing another trust, I already have several NFA items all in this one, and I like the idea of just adding this last purchase in with the rest.

Thanks again!

Bboarder

Me Myself & I
    Mar 7, 2010
    Reisterstown
    Start a new trust!

As a matter of fact, I am doing a trust per NFA item from now on. That way you can do the prints and add whoever you want later.... no need to change those already around.

Question since you seem to know your stuff

I have a friend who I listed as trustee awhile ago and am now married and want to change to my wife so she inherits all the items in the trust without issue.

Is this possible?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Start a new trust!
    This is really not appealing once you've got 20+ stamps on your current trust.

I have a bunch of lawyer friends, and I'll talk to one of them to see what's involved with amending a trust. Gut feeling is that you're going to need some specific verbiage and a notarized amendment.

ETA: LZ has what seems to be a reasonable guide to doing this: https://info.legalzoom.com/amend-revocable-trust-22407.html

Dec 15, 2012
    Md
    Thanks erwos! That LegalZoom document seems to be pretty good for something as basic as what I hoped to do. Additionally, it’s sort of confirms what my gut was. I had actually planned to write down when the Trust was originally done who I was, and state that I was allowed to amend it as the Settler.

Thanks again!

PS... Any additional info is still welcomed!

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    No problem. I also have one of Jeremy's trusts, and I am going to be using the LZ approach as well. I've had a second kid since I made the trust, and it's only fair to include her as a beneficiary. (I also need to put together a will, ugh.)

hillbilly grandpa

Jan 26, 2013
    Arnold
    No problem. I also have one of Jeremy's trusts, and I am going to be using the LZ approach as well. I've had a second kid since I made the trust, and it's only fair to include her as a beneficiary. (I also need to put together a will, ugh.)

While you're doing the will, revisit your medical power of attorney and living will. At this stage I think they're more crucial than your will since, statistically, you're more likely to suffer a health crisis than you are to die. If you travel out of state at all, be sure to include to include a provision that your HCPA and LW are to be interpreted under the laws of your primary residence. Otherwise you may be stuck with interpretations of legal prerogatives not to your liking. And be sure to name others with contingent powers, to serve either in order of name or collectively--especially if your primary is your spouse. If you're both in the same accident and no one else is named, you're kinda screwed.

CrabcakesAndFootball

Jun 14, 2017
    I just looked up Jeremy in the Maryland Client Protection Fund and it shows that he is still active. I would use the below link, search his name and write his Client Protection Fund Number down, then call the phone number for the Court of Appeals in the link, provide them with his name and client protection fund number, and ask if they can provide his address. I suspect they do not have his address (a big no-no for Jeremy) and that is why it does not display when you search his name. Good luck!

https://www.courts.state.md.us/lawyers/attylist

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Question since you seem to know your stuff

I have a friend who I listed as trustee awhile ago and am now married and want to change to my wife so she inherits all the items in the trust without issue.

Is this possible?

Actually I am far from an expert on trusts. I just have not heard a good reason yet not to put every item on a different trust... other than paying a lawyer over and over. I have a template made and just change out the name of the trust... Easy to do and it solves all the other problems. Ok yes, each has to be notarized.

I would defer to others on that question, sorry.

This is really not appealing once you've got 20+ stamps on your current trust.

Yeah I mean for those 20 items, you are pretty stuck to it. However for new items... I would still start a new trust for each. Unless you are the sole individual on all your trusts.... by the time you pay for finger prints for 2-3 people... you are better off starting a new trust with just you and then adding people later if need be.

I have not gotten to the stage of adding people to a trust yet... so I don't have an opinion there as I am a bit ignorant on the subject other than knowing it can be done without to much trouble. Its one of those things I need to do/look into.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Eh, I route pretty much all my NFA stuff through SilencerShop, so at this point it's just asking my wife to check her email and sign electronic documents once in a while. Trying to manage a bunch of trusts sounds extremely annoying, especially given notarization requirements, and who the hell am I adding to these things anyways?

The wink-wink nod-nod for doing trusts on every single item is essentially to bypass transfer requirements, which, frankly, is a game I'd rather not play with the USG/BATFE. YMMV.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    He’s on the Drinking Bros Facebook page. He’s a member there. No idea if he still practices law

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Eh, I route pretty much all my NFA stuff through SilencerShop, so at this point it's just asking my wife to check her email and sign electronic documents once in a while. Trying to manage a bunch of trusts sounds extremely annoying, especially given notarization requirements, and who the hell am I adding to these things anyways?

The wink-wink nod-nod for doing trusts on every single item is essentially to bypass transfer requirements, which, frankly, is a game I'd rather not play with the USG/BATFE. YMMV.

Haha... nope, not trying to avoid the $200 transfer at all. I see where some might look at this angle but I am not. I want to keep my NFA items! :) I agree its a bad idea.

Think of it this way.... With every item on its own trust.

I have MGs worth $20k and Suppressors that frankly are not worth 20 bucks! So who I allow to use these items changes accordingly. I am in a big MG club where most all people have had a NFA background check. I have little trouble adding a few friends from the club on a Suppressor trust so they can use it and test it out...etc. However I would not likely add someone to a MG trust.

Next I have 2 boys. I imagine in time they may both be interested in using/borrowing some of the NFA items. Then can be added. Also for inheritance, I can sign up one boy for one and the other on the other... then its pretty clear who gets what!

When I get something new, which I constantly hope to do... then I never need to drop people off or bother them for another set of fingerprints. Access can remain constant on each item and there is no need to both others when I get something new. While I don't have an issue with my wife knowing when I get a new MG, I am not exactly looking to put a bill board up advertising that I did either...

To get things notarized I run to the bank and in 15 mins I am done. Less time then getting others finger printed and pictures taken...etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom