• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • arbud

Jan 27, 2008
    Towson
    Are we allowed to buy Saiga or other mag fed Shotguns in MD. I think they are still cash and carry with no hql or anything are they not. Bud

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Yep, cash and carry. On this topic, strongly recommend going with a platform that uses VEPR mags instead of Saiga 12 mags. Rock-and-lock on shotguns really sucks on a closed bolt.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Yep, cash and carry. On this topic, strongly recommend going with a platform that uses VEPR mags instead of Saiga 12 mags. Rock-and-lock on shotguns really sucks on a closed bolt.

I’m looking for an AR style with an arm brace and keymod handguard. Backup to my Glock 40SW ;)

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Got a VR80. Pretty cool. Only complaint is that mine doesn't cycle anything lighter than 1 1/4 oz 3 3/4 dram loads. Hopefully it loosens up some

ZeroCool

Nov 8, 2006
    Glen Burnie
    I would (and did) choose the SDS Lynx over the JDS. The SDS Lynx looks much more "correct" to the original Saiga design to me than the JDS.

Price is ~$100 higher but you can catch the Lynx on sale quite often. I got mine for $379, and they have been on gun.deals as low as $349. I think Gym Ratz carries them regularly for a little over $400 if you want to buy from an IP.

The Lynx IS Chinese made but it's apparently made in the same factory as the legit Chinese AKs and most people compare them very favorably against the original Russian guns. Mine seems to be put together right and has a nice parkerized finish. All of the original Saiga accessories seem to fit, including a mean muzzle device that was sitting in my drawer for years.

As is with the case of most of these guns, mine didnt want to feed the bulk 7 1/2 shot from Walmart at first (it did much better with the Federal than the Win and Rem). After some rounds (~100), a cleaning/lubing and some additional hand cycling to break things in, it doesnt seem to have anymore issues (though it doesnt throw the cheap stuff nearly as far when ejecting).

For the person that says to get the VEPR style gun over the Saiga style gun - I'd agree if $$$ isn't a consideration as the VEPR guns have a more user friendly magazine and chambering interface.

That said, for those situations where $$$ is a consideration, the VEPR style guns and mags are going to be at least 2x the price of the newer inexpensive (but functional) Saiga style guns. I got 3, 10 round factory Lynx mags shipped for under $23 each. It looks like similar VEPR mags range from ~$40 to ~$100 for factory.

Last edited:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I'd buy a proper VEPR. but they are admittedly getting more expensive these days.

The RIA VR80 recommendation is the best one. It's getting a lot of good reviews by 3 gunners.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    6dd6SB.jpg

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I have to wonder how parts interchange between all the makers of these AK style shotguns. I've looked at the Lynx but I'm always afraid for future parts availability.

Mitral

Sep 6, 2015
    Calvert
    I realize I’m late to this party. But...
    looking for a SDS lynx. New or used
    F2F. Or at a shop.
    Anybody got one they don’t need ?
    Leads at a local shop.?
    Gun Broker has some listed around 550.
    I seem to recall them at less than 500.
    I’d like to avoid the Pita that is gunbroker if I can help it.
    Figure it can’t hurt to ask

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    What does everyone think of the Kalashnikov Komrad or KS12?

The Komrad looks like a fun gun to shoot...if you are used to pistol grip/shotguns with no stock. With all these "non nfa" shockwave like shotguns I'd like to see a hammer double built like a pistol. You know, 13 or 14 inch barrels and a stock cut at the wrist or birds head style grip.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    What does everyone think of the Kalashnikov Komrad or KS12?

I have 1 and so far I do like it. it's short. which I like, the detachable mags are nice , as they can also take saiga mags as well. it like hot rounds ( 1350 fps if I remember correctly from the manual) I haven't put a ton of rds through it yet. but will as time goes by.

ironhead7544

Oct 27, 2018
    To get the Saiga 12 mags to lock with a closed bot, push the top round forward about 1/8 inch. Or you can mod the bolt easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom