• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • josh19

Dec 12, 2013
    Hi everyone,

I am surprise at this pandemic time, I found a Mossberg 590 shockwave raptor grip online model #50659. https://www.mossberg.com/product/590-shockwave-6-shot-50659/

I did research before about raptor grip and google this particular model and seems to get good review.

So your opinion will be my last stop before I go ahead to order, oh my goodness, another firearm.

My questions are:

1. Is it legal to buy/own raptor grip shotgun such as this in MD. Can I have it shipped to a MD FFL ?

2. Any issues - safety, performances..etc., ?
    I visited Mossbergowners.com and general google search seems to find nothing major.

http://mossbergowners.com/forum/index.php?threads/mossberg-590-shockwave-new-owner.19688/

3. Do you recommend to get it. This will be my 2nd shotgun. 1st one is also a Mossberg with standard stock.

Once I hear from you all, I will decide on the purchase.

As always, much appreciation for the MD shooter forum's great support and advises.

BurtonRW

Oct 19, 2007
    Pasadena
    I love my 590s. No complaints.

I don’t have any experience with the raptor grip, but I’d buy it with confidence if you need a shotgun.

-Rob

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    That model is listed on the handgun roster.

Model: 590 SHOCKWAVE
    Model Number: 50638 (12GA), 50644 (12 GA), 50647 (12 GA), 50649 (410 GA), 50653 (12 GA), 50656 (12 GA), 50657 (20 GA), 50658 (12 GA), 50659 (12 GA), 50661 (12 GA)
    Caliber: 12 Gauge, 20 Gauge, 410 Gauge

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Having owned “stock-less” shotguns in the past, I’ll suggest to you as I’ve others: next time you are actually shooting your standard stock gun (not standing in front of a mirror at home), compare your ability to quickly hit a target past 7 yards holding the shotgun the way one fantasi, err, imagines shooting the stock-less gun. (The most vivid eye opener about the inadequacy of stock-less shotguns I can recall is a bowling pin match that had a side shoot for shotguns (clear the table of 5 bowling pins on a tabletop (from 15-ft, iirc) quicker than other shooters are able. The pistol grip only shotguns were quickly returned to cruiser trunks (and Monday morning agency armories) for standard-stocked guns.

Perhaps the best trade offs are the short-barreled long guns (esp. pump shotguns) stocked with slightly shortened shoulder stocks (I.e., “youth” length-of-pull shoulder stocks are near perfect for average build shooters once body armor and other tac gear is donned). ^THAT is the way to go, IME.

I admit, the coolness factor is off the chart but, based on observation of the shooters I know who have purchased them: a) stock-less shotguns will lead the way for defensive tools that are never at hand when needed (vs a handgun); and, b) in my estimation is the after-market for these stock-less guns is eventually gonna be one of the largest and hottest in awhile. (Actually, the down-the-Road prospect of being able to buy these stock-less 870’s and 500’s / 590’s for quarters on the dollar paid new and then standard stocking them actually makes the 870 collector in me giddy!)

But then, there is no getting around that coolness factor ...!

Best o’ success, whichever direction you choose!

Boats

Beer, Bikes n Boomsticks
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    if the recoil is a bit much, get the Tac-Sol insert (they are cheap) and use mini shells. capacity goes up to 9 and the recoil goes way down.

with a little practice you can hit center of mass at normal home defense ranges while hip firing.

using the bead sight is possible, but don't try for a cheek weld. your cheek bone. will thank you

Don't bother with the "stainless" model, it is stainless colored ceracote, not actually stainless steel

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Hahahahahahaha, if a picture is worth a thousand words then, well, this is just PRICELESS!

You can almost HEAR the shooter thinking, “WTF?!!!!!!!” to himself as he REPEATEDLY MISSES THE TARGET: https://gunstreamer.com/watch/mossberg-590-shockwave_pFCgX4TEVQIbJ4t.html
    :lol: :lol2: :lol: :lol2:

MORE fail! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_JIzXlv-58

... I guess it can best be summed up this way, “A gun fight with a stock-less shotgun is only a “fair fight” (WTF ever that is!) AS LONG AS YOUR OPPONENT IS EQUALLY HANDICAPPED - - with a stock-less shotgun!

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    if the recoil is a bit much, get the Tac-Sol insert (they are cheap) and use mini shells. capacity goes up to 9 and the recoil goes way down.

with a little practice you can hit center of mass at normal home defense ranges while hip firing.

using the bead sight is possible, but don't try for a cheek weld. your cheek bone. will thank you

Don't bother with the "stainless" model, it is stainless colored ceracote, not actually stainless steel
    I had little luck

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    I had little luck with the mini shells feeding properly. In fact, that was reason number two that I traded mine away. A

Reason number one was I found the weapon, in 12g, to be uncontrollable in any situation where multiple shots were required in a short time span.

Ymmv

I’d add, the weapon is well conceived and designed. Maybe it’s much more manageable in 20g. I’d also add that I HEARD there was a technique wherein you chamber subsequent rounds (the damned mini shells) with the barrel pointed down as opposed to somewhere more on the horizontal plane. I did not test this as mine was long gone.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    My extensor tendons of my wrist ache, just from watching people on video shoot a birdhead style pistol gripped shotgun. :sad20:

josh19

Dec 12, 2013
    Thanks everyone for the valuable input. I am so glad I did not rush into ordering it this morning. It is the coolness factor that got the better of me. Cool is not good enough if I can not put the shot on target. I think I will hold on to my old SG for now. But I did order the SP101 2.25" 357 revolver several weeks ago. I think that is a good investment. I own a S&W 686, love it but like to have one that is a tad smaller.

firearm is truly addictive. You always want to get the next one, whether you need it or not.

Thanks again

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Can you buy a shockwave, then buy a regular stock and 20” barrel for it to convert it to a ”shotgun” for trap use?
    Born as pistol may go to rifle and back. A rifle baby may not grow up to a pistol ... legally.
    I eventually decided against them but found the remington version better suited for myself. I love running a pistol, first shot rings 10" steel @ 12 yds before pistol reaches line of sight. Have fun op, practice, practice, practice.

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    Born as pistol may go to rifle and back. A rifle baby may not grow up to a pistol ... legally.
    I eventually decided against them but found the remington version better suited for myself. I love running a pistol, first shot rings 10" steel @ 12 yds before pistol reaches line of sight. Have fun op, practice, practice, practice.

Thanks. Wasn't sure how how shotguns fell into the rifle/pistol thing.

Jake4U

Now with 67% more FJB
    Sep 1, 2018
    Thanks. Wasn't sure how how shotguns fell into the rifle/pistol thing.

If you can find one and are willing to spend the money, look into a Tac-13. Watch the videos. I have one and the felt recoil is as advertized: much less than a pump version of the same type of "firearm."

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    I would like to see a 12 or 20 gauge side by side made like the shockwave...no stock from the factory, 14 inch barrels and a birdshead style grip like a shotgun stock cut at the wrist. Not practical but one wants what one wants.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I don't recommend pistol grip 12ga shotguns for some of the above reasons. At one time my HD shotgun was a pistol grip Mossberg 500 w/18.5" barrel. I considered it a fine HD weapon right up until the first time I actually fired it. Could not sell it fast enough. Fast forward a few decades to my 3-gun days. First bought a 930 Tactical then a JM Pro which I tricked out. I actually shot the 930 Tac in my first 3-gun match. Ok except for not a big enough magazine. Relegated it to HD use to this day. I was going to PA to shoot a Steel Challenge match a week ago and found out Carl of GT Targets was holding a shotgun sidematch with money involved. Its been at least 3 years since I fired a shotgun of any type. He also had loaner shotguns including a Benelli M2. I brought the 930 Tac instead of my 3-gun 930 simply because I had not shot it much and I knew it was at least clean. 5 heavy steel knockdown targets with a max of 6 shells in the gun, barrel starting on a 2x4 at low ready. Oh yeah sometime in the past I put the extended mag from the SPX model on the gun which gave it a 6+1 loading (6+2 if you ghost load it). I used my 18.5" 930 while everyone else used mostly the M2. I ended up winning the match, twice coming from behind after someone shot a faster score than I. Winning time was 2.06s. One of the morals of this story is a pistol grip looks cool but a regular stock is much easier to keep on target fast and actually hit something you are aiming at. HD is all about hitting the targets you want to hit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom