• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BALBZ

bad ass LBZ that is
    Apr 6, 2013
    Eastern Shore MD
    I've been wanting to build a home range since we moved into this house in 2013. Well thanks to COVID I had the push I needed to dive in and get it going. Started about three weekends ago clearing the spot and prepping the build (gathering materials).

My lineman buddy came through with the old power poles this week and I made huge progress this weekend getting the backstop built. Its hard to pick up in the pics but there is a natural hill/berm to the left of the pole wall I built. The plan is to continue that natural berm 20ft to the end of the poles (roughly 5ft tall). Then I plan to put old decking 2x6st boards on the uprights above the berm to about 10ft just incase something goes high it will be slowed down and not make it through the woods (500yds).

I will be able to get 110yds when all complete.

What do you guys think? Anyone have any suggestions for me while still in the build process?

Attachments

• IMG_6604.jpg
      IMG_6604.jpg
      182.3 KB · Views: 1,636
    • IMG_6608.jpg
      IMG_6608.jpg
      188.1 KB · Views: 1,601
    • IMG_6610.jpg
      IMG_6610.jpg
      182 KB · Views: 1,610
    • IMG_6613.2.jpg
      IMG_6613.2.jpg
      221.9 KB · Views: 1,638
    • IMG_6614.jpg
      IMG_6614.jpg
      202.4 KB · Views: 1,655
    • IMG_6624.jpg
      IMG_6624.jpg
      157.4 KB · Views: 1,632
    • IMG_6626.jpg
      IMG_6626.jpg
      172 KB · Views: 1,620
    • IMG_6632.6.jpg
      IMG_6632.6.jpg
      135.6 KB · Views: 1,627
    • IMG_6633.jpg
      IMG_6633.jpg
      176.7 KB · Views: 1,681
    • IMG_6636.jpg
      IMG_6636.jpg
      154.6 KB · Views: 1,608

BALBZ

bad ass LBZ that is
    Apr 6, 2013
    Eastern Shore MD
    More pics. I will update the tread with more pics as progress is made.

Attachments

• IMG_6642.jpg
      IMG_6642.jpg
      165.3 KB · Views: 1,647
    • P5030584.jpg
      P5030584.jpg
      199.4 KB · Views: 1,639
    • P5030586.jpg
      P5030586.jpg
      210.4 KB · Views: 1,591
    • P5030588.jpg
      P5030588.jpg
      179.6 KB · Views: 1,629
    • P5030590.jpg
      P5030590.jpg
      169.2 KB · Views: 1,630
    • P5030591.jpg
      P5030591.jpg
      165.5 KB · Views: 1,608
    • P5030593.jpg
      P5030593.jpg
      127.3 KB · Views: 1,640
    • P5030589.jpg
      P5030589.jpg
      176.4 KB · Views: 1,601
    Last edited:

ZeroMc

Apr 28, 2020
    Halethorpe MD
    Looks great, you get Gundo list and I get honeydo list but theres gotta be a ying and a yang

Sent from my LM-X410(FG) using Tapatalk

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I would put a second layer of poles on the back side, offset so that the thickest part is at the line of the gap of the front row. Where two poles touch on the front, there is little or no wood to impede a passing bullet.

And then you can fill the space with dirt or sand for extra stopping power.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    I would put a second layer of poles on the back side, offset so that the thickest part is at the line of the gap of the front row. Where two poles touch on the front, there is little or no wood to impede a passing bullet.

This.

Very nice project. Appreciate you sharing. Looks super sweet.

Well done.

BALBZ

bad ass LBZ that is
    Apr 6, 2013
    Eastern Shore MD

The plan is to extend the natural berm that is already there. I built the wall to save money on dirt and reduce the amount of sluff from rain on the pile. With the wall I need half the dirt for the same height pile and as it sluffs I can just push it back up from the front and don't have to worry about the back. This picture shows the existing berm I am talking about. Still a little hard to tell what it really looks like but when done I should have a 6ft high pile of dirt against the poles.

Hope this makes sense.

Attachments

• P5040594.jpg
      P5040594.jpg
      195.3 KB · Views: 710

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Just curious how much land you have to fabricate that. I'm starting to look for my forever house and would like enough land to build a 100-200 yard range.

You gonna build any enclosure or do anything to redirect blast noise?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Steel Hunter

Nov 10, 2019
    Just curious how much land you have to fabricate that. I'm starting to look for my forever house and would like enough land to build a 100-200 yard range.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Joining the two stamp club is always an option. ;)

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Nice back stop. Something that will reduce the strain on your rigging is that when you pull the poles up, put a 2x10 in the back of the hole so when the pole butt hits it, before it digs into the back of the hole and knocks dirt in it it will tip right in.
    You may have done that I just cant tell from the pictures.
    Also, slide the rope down on the pole(just above middle) so its just butt heavy. Mid strain the truck wont want to move as much or hold foot on the brake pedal. Also, the fixed block on the tree or other pole will not have as much strain on it from deflection.

Last trap I made from poles I just cut the poles off in 36" and laid them longways then covered the top with dirt. It wasn't nowhere near as large as yours though.
    Nice job!:thumbsup:

BALBZ

bad ass LBZ that is
    Apr 6, 2013
    Eastern Shore MD

I only have 2 acres but the woods in the background is 9 acres of mud bottom woods. There is no chance of any building in that 9 acres and the owner of that property is a good guy that didn’t hesitate to give me permission to shoot towards his property with a sufficient backstop. I plan the completed backstop to be way more then sufficient.

As far as a enclosure I need more information on that. I can’t seem to justify it due to the cost that could come with building something. I see some ranges with a roof over the berm but I can’t see a use for it other then preventing sluff from rain. I have some poles left over that I will do something with. Possibly some type of side on the right of the wall, not sure yet.

Maybe someone will have a little more knowledge on the matter. Or suggestions on how to use the extra poles.

Nice back stop. Something that will reduce the strain on your rigging is that when you pull the poles up, put a 2x10 in the back of the hole so when the pole butt hits it, before it digs into the back of the hole and knocks dirt in it it will tip right in.
    You may have done that I just cant tell from the pictures.
    Also, slide the rope down on the pole(just above middle) so its just butt heavy. Mid strain the truck wont want to move as much or hold foot on the brake pedal. Also, the fixed block on the tree or other pole will not have as much strain on it from deflection.

Last trap I made from poles I just cut the poles off in 36" and laid them longways then covered the top with dirt. It wasn't nowhere near as large as yours though.
    Nice job!:thumbsup:

Boy your brain would have been nice to pick before setting the poles!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom