• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Living the dream! :thumbsup:

Just one suggestion is plan on reactive targets of some type. The in-laws have a mostly paper target based range and it gets boring after a while. The few reactive steel targets are the most well used and satisfying targets.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The plan is to extend the natural berm that is already there. I built the wall to save money on dirt and reduce the amount of sluff from rain on the pile. With the wall I need half the dirt for the same height pile and as it sluffs I can just push it back up from the front and don't have to worry about the back. This picture shows the existing berm I am talking about. Still a little hard to tell what it really looks like but when done I should have a 6ft high pile of dirt against the poles.

Hope this makes sense.

Yes it does, but a berm behind will be thinner at the top. If you double the horizontal poles, and fill in between, you have the same thickness from the whole thing. And above the poles, you can do the same with boards, for misses, and not worry about them going through.

LRoberts

Retired Master General El
    Oct 22, 2017
    SM County
    More pics. I will update the tread with more pics as progress is made.

I'd come help, but I'm on the other side of the ditch, in St. Mary's.

(You can use a pop-up canopy for your shooting bench spot. Just remove the canvas when you're not using it. The wind is hell on them).

Wardove

Jul 23, 2017
    Blairsville, GA
    Call it 100 meters and you can feel so ....euro.
    Really tho, congrats on the project! I miss being “down home” in Georgia where we shoot 25-800 yards off the back porch, occasionally even at brown fuzzy targets.

BALBZ

bad ass LBZ that is
    Apr 6, 2013
    Eastern Shore MD
    Living the dream! :thumbsup:

Just one suggestion is plan on reactive targets of some type. The in-laws have a mostly paper target based range and it gets boring after a while. The few reactive steel targets are the most well used and satisfying targets.

I plan to bring some of my steel targets home from our hunting property range once complete. Future plans for duelling tree and some type of moving target like a Texas star but that will have to wait for funds to be replenished. Wife and I just signed a window/door replacement contract with Thompson Creek Windows today so extra $$$$ is non existent for a bit :sad20:.

Yes it does, but a berm behind will be thinner at the top. If you double the horizontal poles, and fill in between, you have the same thickness from the whole thing. And above the poles, you can do the same with boards, for misses, and not worry about them going through.

Well sir you have talked me onto it. I will be filling the cavity between the 2x6's above the logs once installed. That cavity will be roughly 14" thick so nothing I'm shooting will even come close to penetrating. It is cheap peace of mind! As far as staggering and doubling the logs there is no need once the dirt is in front of them a .50 wont be able to penetrate it.

How close is the next neighbor?

I have a neighbor whos house is about 70yds to the right of the range. He will be shooting with me most of the time and I have written permission in hand from him granting me permission to shoot. Behind the berm the next house is about 3 miles and it is extremely elevated form the berm which is in the lowest point of my property. The range is naturally sloped downhill from the shooting position.

Joining the two stamp club is always an option. ;)

you mean something like this

Attachments

• P5100609.jpg
      P5100609.jpg
      76.9 KB · Views: 550
    • P5100613.jpg
      P5100613.jpg
      87.6 KB · Views: 487

BALBZ

bad ass LBZ that is
    Apr 6, 2013
    Eastern Shore MD
    This weekends progress

Attachments

• P5090596.jpg
      P5090596.jpg
      209.7 KB · Views: 534
    • P5090597.jpg
      P5090597.jpg
      166.3 KB · Views: 517
    • P5090598.jpg
      P5090598.jpg
      191.8 KB · Views: 478
    • P5090601.jpg
      P5090601.jpg
      218.8 KB · Views: 516
    • P5100602.jpg
      P5100602.jpg
      192.3 KB · Views: 489
    • P5100604.jpg
      P5100604.jpg
      197.4 KB · Views: 531
    • P5100605.jpg
      P5100605.jpg
      180.4 KB · Views: 500
    • P5100606.jpg
      P5100606.jpg
      170.6 KB · Views: 503

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Well sir you have talked me onto it. I will be filling the cavity between the 2x6's above the logs once installed. That cavity will be roughly 14" thick so nothing I'm shooting will even come close to penetrating. It is cheap peace of mind! As far as staggering and doubling the logs there is no need once the dirt is in front of them a .50 wont be able to penetrate it.

I am concerned about the gaps in between the poles.

Laddertowr

trigger puller
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 3, 2013
    Balbz.... you know momma is wanna want a log home built once the range is done..... Looking good sir!!

BALBZ

bad ass LBZ that is
    Apr 6, 2013
    Eastern Shore MD
    I am concerned about the gaps in between the poles.
    It is obvious you do not understand what I am trying to tell you. Or you are not reading my posts. When complete you will not even be able to see the poles. There will be dirt piled against the front of them. The bottom of the pile of dirt will be every bit of 6 feet thick and the top of the pile will be flat at the top of the log stack and be a minimum of 16inches thick. Then there will be no gap anywhere. The 2x6 boards above the dirt pile will be filled with dirt the thickness of the upright poles which is roughly 15 inches. If this does not make Sence sit back and watch the progress it will when completed.

Balbz.... you know momma is wanna want a log home built once the range is done..... Looking good sir!!

Thank you. Not really a comparison to your setup but it will be fun. And there is no log home in my future hahaha!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    It is obvious you do not understand what I am trying to tell you. Or you are not reading my posts. When complete you will not even be able to see the poles. There will be dirt piled against the front of them. The bottom of the pile of dirt will be every bit of 6 feet thick and the top of the pile will be flat at the top of the log stack and be a minimum of 16inches thick. Then there will be no gap anywhere. The 2x6 boards above the dirt pile will be filled with dirt the thickness of the upright poles which is roughly 15 inches. If this does not make Sence sit back and watch the progress it will when completed.

OK, Gotcha.

Why put the dirt in front?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom