• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Krucianking

Mar 4, 2019
    Bowie, MD
    As to not beat a dead horse (PETA WOULD NOT APPROVE), and I am a little slow I did believe or not rode on a short bus to school. I recently bought a complete blem lower from hanover armory it had a minor scratch, and wanted to go with a 10.5 300 blackout side charging upper from bear creek arsenal can I just slap them together or is there some Maryland law I'm violation of.

signed
    trying not to be up a creek with no paddle.:innocent0

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Damascus
    When you say a complete blem lower, does it have a stock? If so not a Maryland law but a Federal law. You would effectively be building an SBR. If you don't file a Form 1 and pay your $200 tax, you are breaking a Federal law.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Do you know the difference between an AR 15 rifle stock and an AR 15 pistol brace? If you put any upper with a barrel shorter than 16 inches on that lower, there can not be a rifle stock on it. It must be a pistol brace unless, as MacMoov said, you apply for a "Short Barrel Rifle" stamp from the BATF. That requires finger prints and photograph as part of that application.

Krucianking

Mar 4, 2019
    Bowie, MD
    complete_lower.jpg
    I got this

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Damascus
    Switch that stock out for a pistol brace and you're good.

That lower would have been transferred as a rifle lower (once a rilfe, always a rifle.) You can't just add a pistol brace and make it into a pistol. It needs to be transferred as a pistol lower or as an any other.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    That lower would have been transferred as a rifle lower (once a rilfe, always a rifle.) You can't just add a pistol brace and make it into a pistol. It needs to be transferred as a pistol lower or as an any other.

This is not true. It is not a rifle until an upper with a barrel =>16" is installed, It does not matter how it is transferred it matters what it is.
    BTW, you do not need to install a brace prior to installing a pistol upper. You need to remove the stock

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    This is not true. It is not a rifle until an upper with a barrel =>16" is installed, It does not matter how it is transferred it matters what it is.
    BTW, you do not need to install a brace prior to installing a pistol upper. You need to remove the stock

Bold is true.

I'm not so sure about the law on transfers. I remember Nate saying a "stripped" lower transferred as a rifle does not make it a rifle. It is an error in the transfer paperwork.

That may be different as it pertains to a "finished" lower.

Wish Nate were still here...:innocent0

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008

The OP should look into this future before slapping it together. I’m pretty sure if on the ATF paper work it was listed as a rifle it needs to remain a rifle unless he goes the route of SBR. If it was listed as other he can go either way.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    The OP should look into this future before slapping it together. I’m pretty sure if on the ATF paper work it was listed as a rifle it needs to remain a rifle unless he goes the route of SBR. If it was listed as other he can go either way.

He definitely needs to look at his paperwork.

Boats

Beer, Bikes n Boomsticks
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Can it legally be transferred as a rifle in MD without an H-BAR upper on it?

like everything else, it is a grey area. .223/5.56 must have HBAR. other calibers like .300, .50 beo, 6.8spc, etc do not need an HBAR.

I would assume if the caliber is multi or .300 etc then it can be transferred without an HBAR, if it is marked .223 the maybe?

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012

A lower like that should have been sold as a "receiver" not as a "rifle". It can become either a pistol or a rifle.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    like everything else, it is a grey area. .223/5.56 must have HBAR. other calibers like .300, .50 beo, 6.8spc, etc do not need an HBAR.

I would assume if the caliber is multi or .300 etc then it can be transferred without an HBAR, if it is marked .223 the maybe?

Without an upper it is not in a caliber.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom