• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Laddertowr

trigger puller
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 3, 2013
    I’m no expert…

Setting up a Shooting Range, Targets and your Backstop / Berm

After reading and viewing the post submitted by member BALBZ on May 3rd … It got me thinking about the time spent on planning and materials needed to setup the range … First off consider the location your range will setup at…any restrictions up discharging a firearm in the area?... what the distance needed from the range to the nearest dwelling? … Is a special permit needed for the range? … Do you need insurance for the range? … This is a few things to think about and research before moving forward.

Now that you’ve picked out the location of range … Consider what you’ve use a backstop / berm … will it be dirt, wood, combination of old tires and dirt, or do you a natural backstop / berm already in place? Such as a hill or mountain … Consider leaving the front open for now so you can truck-in and materials needed to build your backstop / berm … Is might saving you time and a few cuss words …

Target stands…
    you want stands that are fixed in place or will you use portables stands? …
    4x4’s PT make for great outer post and running a 2x4 between them makes a decent place to hang targets from … So what if what you add more targets or just get tired of the set-up … Do you know where your shovel is? … Portable stands … might be made of wood, steel or pipe … allows you to change to look of your range in minutes …

Targets …
    1/4”, 3/8”, 1/2” etc, etc thick in AR400 and AR500 steel … what do you need? … Plenty of charts out there to help you choose the right thickest … I’ve used scrap metal on my range but only use it on the smaller caliber target stands for 22 or 17 …

Target Hangers and Straps …
    Tons of hangers and straps out there to choose from … Hanger wiser I like the ones that allows the target to move when hit … and I really like the hangers that place the target angled lightly downward … good video … https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GpKZzt29BM

In the pics below notice the use of pipe hangers, threaded rod, hinges and straps and some of the static targets are angled down … Straps … contract your local FD and ask them if they have any old hose you can have … 1 roll which is usually 50’ if enough once cut down straps or whole and cut to length …

Again I claim to be NO Master Range builder

The birth of my Range ...My First Setup
    PVC Pipe, Mech. Wire and Tennis Balls

Attachments

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      59.2 KB · Views: 667
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      83.6 KB · Views: 676
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      81.3 KB · Views: 655
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      77.4 KB · Views: 669
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      82.8 KB · Views: 665
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      158.1 KB · Views: 653
    • 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      150.9 KB · Views: 658
    • 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      123.3 KB · Views: 652
    • 9.jpg
      9.jpg
      104 KB · Views: 657
    • 10.jpg
      10.jpg
      140.7 KB · Views: 681
    Last edited:

Laddertowr

trigger puller
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 3, 2013
    more pics

More pics

Attachments

• 11.jpg
      11.jpg
      120.9 KB · Views: 652
    • 12.jpg
      12.jpg
      148.3 KB · Views: 647
    • 13.jpg
      13.jpg
      154.9 KB · Views: 639
    • 14.jpg
      14.jpg
      126.3 KB · Views: 636
    • 15.jpg
      15.jpg
      202.3 KB · Views: 638
    • 16.jpg
      16.jpg
      81.5 KB · Views: 627
    • 17.jpg
      17.jpg
      180.7 KB · Views: 643
    • 18.jpg
      18.jpg
      124.7 KB · Views: 648
    • 19.jpg
      19.jpg
      114.9 KB · Views: 643
    • 20.jpg
      20.jpg
      117.5 KB · Views: 638

Laddertowr

trigger puller
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 3, 2013
    Pics

Last of the pics

Attachments

• 21.jpg
      21.jpg
      78.1 KB · Views: 638
    • 22.jpg
      22.jpg
      142.3 KB · Views: 650
    • 23.jpg
      23.jpg
      129.2 KB · Views: 652

S.M.I.B

May 21, 2013
    Calvert County
    I have been slowly working on mine for a few years now. All woods so takes a while to clear. It is hard to make out but I have 6" PVC pipe sunk in the ground at 10, 25, 50, 75, 100, and 200 yards kind of staggered. I use 4x4's with a 2x4 cross to hang targets. I can pick them up and set them in whatever PVC pipe at the distances I want to shoot. Adds flexibility for a narrow range like mine.

Attachments

• 20200406_121800.jpg
      20200406_121800.jpg
      152.6 KB · Views: 614

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    One thing to mention, you really shouldn’t be splashing lead in to the river/stream from having the targets that close. It will dissolve in the water if even slightly acid or basic, increasing lead levels in the water down stream.

The amount contributed from a personal range probably isn’t much, but still not good for the habitat.

/tree hugger message for the night

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    One thing to mention, you really shouldn’t be splashing lead in to the river/stream from having the targets that close. It will dissolve in the water if even slightly acid or basic, increasing lead levels in the water down stream.

The amount contributed from a personal range probably isn’t much, but still not good for the habitat.

Nah. Acidic coal mine tailings is more of a concern out there. A few slugs in a creek bank? Creek constantly flushes itself out.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County

Slugs and even splatter really don't shed much in the way of contaminates. But you can bet (as we've seen in some spots in MD) that people who want to shut down your ability to shoot will absolutely sift through the creek silt and find a few pieces of lead ... and make an unholy stink via the EPA or similar state-level operation. Just be aware it can happen.

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    Slugs and even splatter really don't shed much in the way of contaminates. But you can bet (as we've seen in some spots in MD) that people who want to shut down your ability to shoot will absolutely sift through the creek silt and find a few pieces of lead ... and make an unholy stink via the EPA or similar state-level operation. Just be aware it can happen.

National Capital Skeet and Trap (Darnestown, MD) was shut down for lead shot going into Great Seneca Creek.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC

Nah. Acidic coal mine tailings is more of a concern out there. A few slugs in a creek bank? Creek constantly flushes itself out.

Looks like a stream that could easily hold trout. I'd be more worried about smoking a dude walking the river fishing or a kayaker.

FX9

Feb 21, 2020
    My little range in our woods

Attachments

• E45B2D62-8EA4-433B-82AF-526F664D23C9.jpeg
      E45B2D62-8EA4-433B-82AF-526F664D23C9.jpeg
      118 KB · Views: 194

FX9

Feb 21, 2020
    Bench at 100 yds. Plans for the bench are all over the web :)

Attachments

• 2C59B246-8BC0-45AD-A64D-79517C91282C.jpg
      2C59B246-8BC0-45AD-A64D-79517C91282C.jpg
      169.9 KB · Views: 211

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads