• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I have 13 or 14 suppressors at this point. I am a "one suppressor per firearm" kind of guy. I have everything from general purpose do all cans to ridiculous unitasker cans. I regularly shoot with other people who also enjoy collecting random suppressors and playing with them, so I've tried out a good variety of them.

What I would recommend to the OP would differ greatly depending on what the OP wants to do with the can.

OP isn't sure: Rugged Radiant, Dead Air Nomad, or YHM Resonator. Great general purpose suppressors that will always have a use.

OP wants a hard use general purpose can: Dead Air Sandman S, Rugged Razor (or Surge), CGS Helios QD, TBAC Dominus (based solely on TBAC reputation and early metering, haven't touched one yet), Griffin 30SD-K, or Silencerco Chimera.

OP wants a lightweight short can for 5.56 only use: YHM Turbo K. Seriously, everyone should own at least one of these. The Resonator K might seem tempting but it meters about 10db higher at the muzzle than the Turbo K. Meters about the same as the Turbo K at the ear, but having an order of magnitude more noise coming out of the front of the gun is enough to make me recommend the caliber specific can. Seriously, this is the can to own for a home defense rifle in 5.56. Performs great, low backpressure, cheap enough that if you use it for its intended purpose you aren't going to cry if you have to long term loan it to the police.

I have used the newest gen OSS suppressors. They are a cool concept and I think the idea has merit, but they are pretty loud. As in still probably ring your ears if used indoors loud. They are good for full auto fire as you'll likely have a lot of earpro on anyway, and they do reduce concussion enough that shooting belt feds at the range all day doesn't make your head feel full of playdough afterward. I think another generation or two of refinement needs to happen before I seriously consider buying one. I think the CGS Helios QD is a better option for similar performance at the moment.

Ultimately anything from a reputable brand is going to be pretty good. I don't prefer the Silencerco muzzle devices and ASR attachment system, but it is fine if that's what you have.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Thanks for taking the time to post .... That said, the chamber is absolutely filthy after one mag so the different design is appealing. I wish there were some way to test them before committing.

Your welcome. If you want to come up to the AGC, I can probably arrange for one to be there. I think we have shoot at the end of the month.

I have used the newest gen OSS suppressors. They are a cool concept and I think the idea has merit, but they are pretty loud. As in still probably ring your ears if used indoors loud. They are good for full auto fire as you'll likely have a lot of earpro on anyway, and they do reduce concussion enough that shooting belt feds at the range all day doesn't make your head feel full of playdough afterward. I think another generation or two of refinement needs to happen before I seriously consider buying one. I think the CGS Helios QD is a better option for similar performance at the moment.

Thats interesting to hear. I do shoot outdoors. Frankly all 556 suppressors are loud enough, that we all did not really notice much of a difference between the OSS and any other. I did not note it at least. I will have to pay more attention to it. I watched a video on the Helios... sounds like you have options on the front cap but if you are going to vent out the front, its louder too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyR91nqnZc4 So its sounding like you have an option to give up a few dBs of suppression for a suppressor that will work better on automatics. For me that is an easy trade, especially for 556 and 308 as they are not very quiet either way in my option. Now if I was shooting 300 BLK or non-automatic firearms... maybe that might change my mind, maybe. However I except my suppressor to run on belt fed 556, M16, AR15s, M1a, AR47s... etc. I find that avoiding the gas system issues on these guns is well worth the sound trade if there is one. I will have to run a comparison next time I am out to see if I can hear a significant difference.

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I would second or third or forth a 30 cal can. Remember to factor in the cost of the mounting system of you want to switch between hosts. They from run from about $60 up, each for the host. Your can may come with the adaptor for a specific type of mount.
    Also that mounting system may be brand specific so think about that too. I have a few SiCo cans with an ASR mount for most hosts. So, unless I switch mounting systems, I will stick with SiCO. You can also go with a direct thread, but each caliber will have it's own thread pitch. You will change the adaptor on the can to go from say 556 to a 30 cal to a 9mm PCC.

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I agree with getting a .30 cal. You have a MUCH more diverse can. You could consider the Silencerco Hybrid.

https://www.silencershop.com/silencerco-hybrid-46.html

Whats the attachment method for an AR with this can?

Direct thread? Would I need a specific muzzle device?

I have a Hybrid and really like it. There are a ton of mounts/adaptors available for is. You can go direct thead or QD. Look on SiCo's website for all of the options,
    Here is a list of thread mounts available from them...

1/2"–28 (AC1415)
    3/4"–24 (AC668)
    5/8"–24 (AC669)
    .578"–28 (AC1564)
    M18x1 (AC690)
    M18x1.5 (AC735)
    9/16"–24 (AC2435)
    11/16"–24 (AC2439)
    M13.5x1 (AC1563)

c&rdaze

Oct 2, 2007
    Southern MD
    I didn't read all the comments, so this may be already offered. I went with a .30 cal from YHM, mainly because of their quick-detach system. I can move the can between hosts with within seconds. To be honest, the can sits mostly on a .300blk shooting subs but have used it with 5.56, .308 and even 7.62x39.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    The main questions are what else might you want to try it on, and how do you want to attach it? Agreed on a 30cal can, if nothing else it opens up a lot of other options for hosts, especially in the AR platform, could even go with a rifle rated 9mm can and add PCCs to the list. 5.56 and 30 cal cans pretty much sound the same on a 5.56 rifle, but the 5.56 cal cans are smaller/lighter, and the 30cal cans have less backpressure so less gas in the face all else being equal. As far as attatchment methods, a gate lock can make many properly shimmed flash hiders/ brakes function as a QD. ASR, Taper mount or whatever other proprietary muzzle device are really nice to quickly attach the can to different firearms, but it can get expensive if you have a lot of hosts. Direct thread work well, but can come loose easily, and if you normally run a muzzle device it has to be taken off every time you want to put the can on it. 3 lug HK pattern is great, $30 adapters, no clocking/shims needed, but it's primarily a pistol cal attachment method with few rifle rated cans that use it. There are modular cans that can swap attatchment methods, and some are user serviceable, where the baffles can be removed and cleaned or repaired if needed. I have a Griffin Optimus, opted for it to try on a lot of things, then add more cans when I found it lacking in one platform or another, and am glad I did. I've been really happy with it, and like the Griffin mount taper mount system, but can also swap in 3 lug or direct thread adapters. Originally wanted an Omega 300, but wanted to try 9mm, and wasn't sure about the non-serviceable core, glad I did, suppressed 9mm PCCs are a lot more fun than I thought they would be, 30cal rifle supresses really well, hearing safe 308 and relatively quiet 300BO are a lot more fun than 5.56.

rayrevolver

Jul 26, 2012
    OP - What is your shooting session like? Bring 10 guns and have fun at the range? Bring 1 or 2 and focus on drills? Sit at the bench? Standing unsupported? Hiking in the woods? Run and gun games? Own a 5.56 SBR/Pistol?

Answer those questions and folks can help direct you.

I will say this: I bought a 30cal as my first and it never gets used. I chased decibels and have a 14oz 9.25" titanium suppressor. Very quiet but turns everything into a long long long gun.

And the easy answer for 5.56: YHM Turbo or Turbo K.

NYRangers917

Oct 6, 2015
    Frederick, MD
    OP - What is your shooting session like? Bring 10 guns and have fun at the range? Bring 1 or 2 and focus on drills? Sit at the bench? Standing unsupported? Hiking in the woods? Run and gun games? Own a 5.56 SBR/Pistol?

Answer those questions and folks can help direct you.

I will say this: I bought a 30cal as my first and it never gets used. I chased decibels and have a 14oz 9.25" titanium suppressor. Very quiet but turns everything into a long long long gun.

And the easy answer for 5.56: YHM Turbo or Turbo K.

i usually only bring my home defense pistol and 1-2 rifles to the range.

I shoot almost exclusively AR's and currently only own 5.56 chamberings.

I do have an 11.5 ar pistol that i plan to sbr at some point.

is the decibel difference between the full size turbo and the k model significant?

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD

is the decibel difference between the full size turbo and the k model significant?

If you are shooting ARs, I highly suggest the points I have raised. You will likely want to do something with your gas block if you run a typical type suppressor as it will over gas the system. You will either need to trade out gas blocks for adjustable or do something like Micro MOA type switchable block. OSS solves that issue but may be a bit louder. However if you are thinking K model anyway, maybe thats not a huge concern to you.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Yes and no. The Turbo is quieter than the K, but the K performs really well for its size. I have a gen 1 turbo on a tuned 10.5" SBR that sounds very good. The Turbo K I have in jail right now is destined for a 12.5" SBR. I have shot with one and it was lower backpressure but somewhat louder. Neither is going to be quiet enough for you to do mag dumps all day without earpro, but either can be used indoors without earpro for a few rounds without ringing your ears (that is in my experience, YMMV).

I don't think you would really regret either unless you're looking for AEM5/MK12 level quiet. To this day, that is pretty much the gold standard silencer for 5.56 in terms of suppression and low backpressure. It's heavy and inconvenient though. Someday I'll buy one just because I think over the barrel suppressors are neat.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Thats interesting to hear. I do shoot outdoors. Frankly all 556 suppressors are loud enough, that we all did not really notice much of a difference between the OSS and any other. I did not note it at least. I will have to pay more attention to it. I watched a video on the Helios... sounds like you have options on the front cap but if you are going to vent out the front, its louder too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyR91nqnZc4 So its sounding like you have an option to give up a few dBs of suppression for a suppressor that will work better on automatics. For me that is an easy trade, especially for 556 and 308 as they are not very quiet either way in my option. Now if I was shooting 300 BLK or non-automatic firearms... maybe that might change my mind, maybe. However I except my suppressor to run on belt fed 556, M16, AR15s, M1a, AR47s... etc. I find that avoiding the gas system issues on these guns is well worth the sound trade if there is one. I will have to run a comparison next time I am out to see if I can hear a significant difference.
    I absolutely think OSS cans are a great choice for you due to your use of them on machine guns and other items you probably don't want to modify. I've been going around and around with work about modifying rifles to work with suppressors. They don't do it and then are surprised when our shiny new guns start exhibiting weird malfunctions and breakages that wouldn't happen if we used suppressors with lower backpressure (or ordered/modified the rifles to function properly when suppressed).

Regardless of how loud or how quiet OSS cans are, they definitely have been disruptive to the market in a good way. Lots of manufacturers are working on getting similar backpressure characteristics but trying to get better performance than OSS. As I said they do a good job of tamping down concussion and making high volume shooting more pleasant. They also reduce noise signature down range, and obfuscate the origin of the shot. All great stuff.

I think the HeliosQD is a better option for a lot of people specifically because it allows the user to choose between a flow through capability and a more traditional (and significantly quieter) capability. It is also very durable, and mounts to industry standard "Omega" pattern muzzle devices and adapters. Josh, the big silencer brain at CGS, has also shown off some test cans that have very high round counts, and the internals have very little wear. Downside is cost, and you do take a weight penalty depending on how you run the silencer.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I think the HeliosQD is a better option for a lot of people specifically because it allows the user to choose between a flow through capability and a more traditional (and significantly quieter) capability. It is also very durable, and mounts to industry standard "Omega" pattern muzzle devices and adapters. Josh, the big silencer brain at CGS, has also shown off some test cans that have very high round counts, and the internals have very little wear. Downside is cost, and you do take a weight penalty depending on how you run the silencer.

I agree completely. I also agree and admit, that being super quiet is not my main concern and that keeping the guns 100% reliable is a much larger concern to me and I am shooting a lot more than most in a given time period.

On the Helios, Do you know if just the changing of the front cap to the flow through is enough to give you OSS levels of minimal back pressure? I would like to see that compared. Its certainly interesting and if they can offer both words, sure, its certainly something to consider. I will keep an eye out for one to check out.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    I have 13 or 14 suppressors at this point. I am a "one suppressor per firearm" kind of guy. I have everything from general purpose do all cans to ridiculous unitasker cans. I regularly shoot with other people who also enjoy collecting random suppressors and playing with them, so I've tried out a good variety of them.

What I would recommend to the OP would differ greatly depending on what the OP wants to do with the can.

OP isn't sure: Rugged Radiant, Dead Air Nomad, or YHM Resonator. Great general purpose suppressors that will always have a use.

OP wants a hard use general purpose can: Dead Air Sandman S, Rugged Razor (or Surge), CGS Helios QD, TBAC Dominus (based solely on TBAC reputation and early metering, haven't touched one yet), Griffin 30SD-K, or Silencerco Chimera.

OP wants a lightweight short can for 5.56 only use: YHM Turbo K. Seriously, everyone should own at least one of these. The Resonator K might seem tempting but it meters about 10db higher at the muzzle than the Turbo K. Meters about the same as the Turbo K at the ear, but having an order of magnitude more noise coming out of the front of the gun is enough to make me recommend the caliber specific can. Seriously, this is the can to own for a home defense rifle in 5.56. Performs great, low backpressure, cheap enough that if you use it for its intended purpose you aren't going to cry if you have to long term loan it to the police.

Ultimately anything from a reputable brand is going to be pretty good. I don't prefer the Silencerco muzzle devices and ASR attachment system, but it is fine if that's what you have.

Sorry to bother you again, but what would you consider a good price to pay for a dead air sandman S ?

rayrevolver

Jul 26, 2012
    i usually only bring my home defense pistol and 1-2 rifles to the range.

Rog. I take 1 rifle and 1 pistol. 99% of the time its a 5.56 and 9mm. The 5.56 is suppressed 100% of the time and setup for it (adjustable gas block). Don't forget adjustable BCGs or even the BRT gas tubes. Lots of ways to burn up your cash!!!

YHM says the Turbo is 134db and Turbo K is 138db. What does that mean in real life?

I protect my hearing (or whats left of it) as best as I can afford to. I use both plugs and earmuffs when I shoot so any modern suppressor is good enough.

My 10.3" SBR is fantastic without a suppressor on it, light and handy. My Trek is 5.7" and 18.1oz. Now my SBR feels like a nose heavy 16" carbine when suppressed.

It is what it is. But that is where I am coming from, I want to get back to that lightweight handy SBR. If I can find a suppressor that weighs less and is shorter, then I am happy. The Turbo K does that in spades, and is cheap to boot ($325-375). If I was rich the answer is also easy: Delta P Brevis II Ultra.

If I didn't already have the Trek I would have a Turbo K. Today, spending $375+$200 to save about 7oz is tempting but not a priority.

Steel Hunter

Nov 10, 2019
    YHM says the Turbo is 134db and Turbo K is 138db. What does that mean in real life?

4dB is pretty significant considering it's a log scale. That's around 50% difference.

In real life, it's likely not that noticeable in terms of feeling because the duration is so short. If you can't do a side by side comparison, it'd be tough to know the difference with doubled up ear protection on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom