• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spektek

MDS Supporter
    May 7, 2020
    Baltimore & GB
    Looking for advice on your favorite LPVO you have used (hopefully that has illumination).
    Plan on putting it on my new 6.5 grendel. Any recommendations?

I'm thinking about a 1-6x or 1-8x
    Edit: This is for an AR platform.
    I already have some spare Tasco, Nikon & a Leopold scopes that are 3x - up to 16x (to mount if I want to reach out and touch farther)

So far I have looked at:
    Vortex Strike Eagle's
    Primary Arms Slx

My one requirement which really sucks is I would like to keep my budget preferably around $500 for Glass and rings.

Thanks for the help brothers!

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Ordinarily, I'd recommend a Burris RT-6, but your load is not going to be anywhere near the BDC. So that's out. The Strike Eagle and PA have much the same problems, plus their glass is honestly a bit meh.

I would strongly recommend a refurb or even used Vortex PST Gen II 1-6x with the VMR-2 MRAD reticle. If you can get one for $425, that leaves you enough to grab a decent mount like an Aero.

ETA: final thought: LPVOs are the one place where going cheap is never a great idea.

Spektek

MDS Supporter
    May 7, 2020
    Baltimore & GB
    Ordinarily, I'd recommend a Burris RT-6, but your load is not going to be anywhere near the BDC. So that's out. The Strike Eagle and PA have much the same problems, plus their glass is honestly a bit meh.

I would strongly recommend a refurb or even used Vortex PST Gen II 1-6x with the VMR-2 MRAD reticle. If you can get one for $425, that leaves you enough to grab a decent mount like an Aero.

ETA: final thought: LPVOs are the one place where going cheap is never a great idea.

So you're a fan of the VMR-2 MRAD reticle ? I will have to take a look at it later today.

Thanks for the advice, have no problem going for a little salty vortex if the price is right. Any idea of where online is reputable,
    I have taken a look at optics planet.

I am curious with vortex 2020 Spring release of when the previous gens may go on sale.

I see some of the newer models also have a BDC3 reticle that doesn't look to bad.

All advice and info is welcomed , live by the Buy Once motto. Saves $$ in the end & keeps the wife off my back :D

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The BDC3 reticles are not gonna work with 6.5 Grendel, they're calibrated for like 55gr@3100fps. Vortex is overdue for a Viper PST generation bump, but I have not heard of any rumors in that area.

AAoptics.com sells refurbs, but you kinda have to jump on them. I usually use riverofguns.com to do bulk checks on forums to hunt down what I'm looking for if I'm going used.

What are you using this rifle for?

Spektek

MDS Supporter
    May 7, 2020
    Baltimore & GB
    The BDC3 reticles are not gonna work with 6.5 Grendel, they're calibrated for like 55gr@3100fps. Vortex is overdue for a Viper PST generation bump, but I have not heard of any rumors in that area.

AAoptics.com sells refurbs, but you kinda have to jump on them. I usually use riverofguns.com to do bulk checks on forums to hunt down what I'm looking for if I'm going used.

What are you using this rifle for?

Some hunting ( Deer in some states (mostly heavily wooded areas & getting rid of fox/coyotes on the family farm) & some target shooting/ drill practice but those ranges I would be shooting can vary a whole lot.

I was hoping the 6.5 Grendel could fill a wider roll overall than 5.56's ive used.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    The Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 1-6x is pretty hard to beat, IMO. Shares alot of the functional features of the Razor line at less than half the price.

I'm seeing it available for $599 at a number of online retailers. IMO much, much better than the Strike Eagle.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    What length barrel is this?

Without knowing more about your situation, I would suggest looking at:

1.) Increasing your budget because cheap LPVOs are going to disappoint you for hunting in low light
    2.) 3-9, 2-10, etc (maybe something you already have?) + offset red dot
    3.) Refurbished Vortex Viper PST Gen II
    Wildcard option: Swampfox Arrow 1-10 MOA (mil/veteran/LEO/first responder or sale price is usually 20-30% off "MSRP". I don't know if it's good at all, but could be worth a shot if you are willing to roll the dice.

Spektek

MDS Supporter
    May 7, 2020
    Baltimore & GB
    Its an 18" barrel 1:8 twist , just wanted a little bit of the best of both worlds with it.

I think what I'm going to do is (since I have the mount) is put my 4-12 on it and if I want to play just offset a reddot or 45° mbus.

Think ill save a few weeks and grab myself a Viper PST Gen 2 1-6 !
    Midway or brownells will end up making some $ from me tomorrow just for random odds and ends.
    Thanks for the advice !

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I have the PST gen2 2-10 it’s a little on the heavy side.
    Vortex rarely misses an opportunity to make their scopes heavy. But they are generally good quality and durable. Especially the U.S., Phillipines, and Japanese ones. Just heavy.

Redbone1

Mar 1, 2020
    I have a strike eagle and a gen 2 viper pst. Both are 1-6 power. I definitely like the reticle and illumination better in the viper but my strike eagle is a gen one so I dont know how much improved the second gens are. As far as using the bdc hash marks with 6.5 grendel you could get a ballistic calculator app such as strelok where you input all the necessary info and it would tell you the distances.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    What are you going to do with it?

With 123 gr SMK at 2650 fps, if you zero at 280 yards (4 inches high at 100 yards), you will be +/- 5 inches from the muzzle to 329 yards.

No need for BDC or overly complicated reticle.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    It all comes down to the distance you are planning on shooting, and what you are looking to get out of an optic. 1X really is only good for quick shooting out to around 50 yards, more money and lower top-end magnification usually gets you a cleaner 1X image in a LPVO, otherwise they have a distortion that gets worse within 15 yards or so, making it tougher to shoot with both eyes open. Illumination may or may not be daylight bright, some like the PSTII and PX4I are plenty bright to be used like a red dot on a sunny day, and this can help speed up targeting in all lighting conditions. In either case most any unmagnified red dot will have a brighter dot, and less distortion than all but the best LPVOs. The Strike eagles and most lower-end scopes have much less intense illumination, the reticle can only go from black to a rusty brown when illumination is cranked up, and usually they have a large area of the reticle illuminated as opposed to an intense dot, can help in low light, but worthless in daylight. Top end magnification can range from 4-10, costs a lot to get a decent image over 6X though as the exit pupil of most 24mm lenses in 30mm tubes is down to 4mm at that point, and you will loose contrast, high end scopes are more efficient, or use larger 34mm tubes, low end scopes get dim and grey.

IMO a better scope with lower magnification will always look the best, I have a 1-4 Steiner Px4i that is so clean and crisp with a fine reticle and daylight bright dot, I can easily hit small targets out to 400 yards with it, or hit close targets as easy as an Aimpoint. My 1-8 Strike eagle has a thick reticle, and the image is nowhere near as clean or bright, even at the same 4X magnification. Despite double the magnification, the Strike Eagle doesn't make it any easier to hit targets at the same range. I do have a 1-6 PST2 and like it, clean crisp image, and the top end magnification looks good, but its 1x magnification has more distortion than the 1-4 Steiner, but it's a decent tradeoff for the top end, and it does have an advantage at longer ranges, and I can hit 12x12" poppers out to 600 yards without much trouble. If you want longer range or more precision, you WILL give up clarity at close range, in many cases you might be better served with a decent 3-12 with a large objective lens vs a 1-8 for the same cost that looks like crap after 5 or 6X.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom