• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    I anticipated there would be some less than ideal shooting when I brought guests to the farm. As long as it was SAFE, I didn’t care too much. I... am just disappointed that the dueling tree I had for 3 years with no problem got shot up (damaged) in only 5 days of invites, 10 people. Now I’ll replace it but that means I can’t allow people to shoot it anymore.

Ego says “I shoot long range all the time.” Etc etc... but fail a 3 (ish) moa target at 200yards (6x8inch plate).

There is no way I can support this level of marksmanship financially. If I restart the invites... the targets are going to have to be limited or require a small fee to cover costs of damaged hardware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ironhead7544

Oct 27, 2018
    Tell them they need to bring their own targets and target frames. No metal targets. And clean up after themselves.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I am fine with paying for any damage that I cause.

And a small amount to fund future targets. :)

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I built a target frame from PVC to put paper on, PVC is super cheap to replace but calling shots at distance becomes a little tough(not sure how far you can go out too). Just a thought.

rickinboots

TEAM GET' UM
    Jun 12, 2011
    Pasadena
    You are providing a free service to us fellow shooters. If you need to recoup cost of targets. I see nothing wrong with asking us.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Take the optics and bi-pods off to save some targets till you collect some more metal to make repairs or build some back up.
    Maybe that takes the fun out of shooting I don’t know what people like to do.
    Even if you have to move them in or make a few new targets in the interim.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    So we won't be having a re-match? Creedmoor vs. Win Mag was a hoot.

Hahah. Yes it was. Though I would likely change to 22-250. I shoot that a lot more these days. Covid made me low powder for win mag.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Good ideas all guys. I’m not giving up yet. Just need another “qualification” so to speak. Be it cash... target donations... or what not.

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    You are providing a service to a lot of people. There should be no cost to you. I doubt anyone would mind paying to help with your costs that you incur due to them shooting at your farm.

What powder do you use for the 300 WM?

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Reasonable. We have to replace bolts, straps, hanger hardware regularly and that's life. It costs money. Like any facility, you have operating expenses. Got to find them. Just like the guy who let's his friends use his garage to work on their toys, you should be compensated for the costs associated.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    You are providing a service to a lot of people. There should be no cost to you. I doubt anyone would mind paying to help with your costs that you incur due to them shooting at your farm.

What powder do you use for the 300 WM?

I’ve been using IMR 4350, trying out other bullets now too. I had been using 220gr but the 300blk fanboys like them for subsonic plinking which makes them hard for me to find consistently.

Back to load development I go!

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    I’ve been using IMR 4350, trying out other bullets now too. I had been using 220gr but the 300blk fanboys like them for subsonic plinking which makes them hard for me to find consistently.

Back to load development I go!

Want to try some R17?

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Want to try some R17?

Maybe. I’m skeptical about trying other people’s powders. All it takes is one “evil person” or even a nice person with bad practices to make another rifle explode.

If it’s not open... sure I’ll work something out.

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    Maybe. I’m skeptical about trying other people’s powders. All it takes is one “evil person” or even a nice person with bad practices to make another rifle explode.

If it’s not open... sure I’ll work something out.

Sadly its open and half used. I was comparing it to H4350 and just got better results with H4350. I totally understand your caution. If you want it, its yours. If not nbd.

vinconco

Mar 4, 2016
    ULTIMATE DUELING TREE

. I... am just disappointed that the dueling tree I had for 3 years with no problem got shot up (damaged) in only 5 days of invites, 10 people. Now I’ll replace it but that means I can’t allow people to shoot it anymore.

Replace it with a dueling tree they cannot destroy. Hang Fast Targets has a tree that CANNOT be destroyed by regular rifle fire. Anything 2800 fps or slower at the target will not touch this thing. It has a fully armored center post and base to prevent damage to the target frame.
    Armor available in 1/4", 3/8" or 1/2 inch. Plates available in 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2" and in 3, 4, 6 and 8 inch diameters. This target is MADE for rifles but will work for regular pistol duels by just using a lighter swinger plates.
    The base is adjustable for uneven ground and hillsides. The center post will adjust to keep the plates swinging evenly for both shooters regardless of the terrain the target sits upon.

P4nVlnU.jpg

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Turns out the tree i was using had patent issues and is no longer available for sale. I'm now left w/ "parts" for a product they can't make. Maybe i can get a local metal worker/fabricator to "fix" it.

I've been indexed/muzzle swept enough times at my farm that i only allow one "new to me" shooter at a time. I even almost got my foot shot w/ a lever gun once because his thumb slipped off the hammer on a loaded gun. Most accidents at the farm were because of someone gabbing away behind the line of fire and guns get picked up to talk about them. I turn around to check on things and i see a gun pointed at me, time and time again. I've updated this to make it so that others can come up but we put ALL OTHER GUNS in front of the line of fire (to the side) this way no one can handle a gun "quickly" and have an "accident".

A couple of people, who shall remain nameless on this post for their protection, asked if they could bring 3-4 friends. I shared the 1 person rule and they said it's also for their protection. Put that in my shoes "can i make this a 4-5 on 1 gun fight with you"... no.. no you may not.

I'm shocked and appalled by the results asking for donations yielded. So many people said it was a good/nice thing and in the forum posts said i should ask for donations. I asked for donations and got hundreds of hate mail for doing so.

When you put these three things together, I've decided I've done enough for the community and it's not worth the headache this is causing. It took, 10 guests... 4 months to ruin it for everyone else.

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    I am really sad to hear that it went so poorly. I was really looking forward to both meeting you and shooting at your place. I do not blame you for stopping the invites after all of the issues you have had.

The offer for the R17 still stands if you want it.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Sorry to hear that about this community. Though we have never met it seems that you were trying to do a good thing. Sadly, good deeds are often punished.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom