• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I don't buy SBRs. I build them by buying one part at a time as I can afford them. It allows me to build quality guns without hurting my pocketbook.

You should take my approach to building an SBR or any other AR rifle; You first buy all the parts to build it yourself, but you just can't resist getting an el-cheapo hand guard, a so-so trigger, and mediocre glass for the optic. Or, you paint a really nice hand guard with Brownells Alumahyde, but it goes on too thick and looks like total sh*t and the color is butt ugly.

And just to add insult to injury, the castle nut in that quality chinesium buffer tube kit you got on a Black Friday deal does not have any staking notches.

Then, you drop more money to replace all the parts with what you should have bought in the first place. :banghead:

Anyways, that's how I do it. :rolleyes:

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    You should take my approach to building an SBR or any other AR rifle; You first buy all the parts to build it yourself, but you just can't resist getting an el-cheapo hand guard, a so-so trigger, and mediocre glass for the optic. Or, you paint a really nice hand guard with Brownells Alumahyde, but it goes on too thick and looks like total sh*t and the color is butt ugly.

And just to add insult to injury, the castle nut in that quality chinesium buffer tube kit you got on a Black Friday deal does not have any staking notches.

Then, you drop more money to replace all the parts with what you should have bought in the first place. :banghead:

I feel your pain. I wish I would learn from my mistakes, but I don't. :sad20: What's the definition of insanity?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

:D

Attachments

• green gun.jpg
      green gun.jpg
      122.8 KB · Views: 218

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville

Then, you drop more money to replace all the parts with what you should have bought in the first place.
    :banghead:

Is there any other way? This is what originally got me into AR's. Bought a cheapy AR and then pretty quickly replaced everything with top notch stuff. Counted what was left and it was basically the receiver and small parts...big waste of around $700 for the initial rifle (pre PSA freedom stuff).

Then came the time I convinced my fiance to build a "spare rifle with the spare parts I had laying around", afterall, all I needed was a receiver and a few pins...welp...that rifle turned into a monster of it's own. It's not nearly as nice as my primary stuff, but there's no junk on it either...

The cycle continues....

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

That is DEFINITELY not how I do it. I painstakingly text clandestine about each and every part I buy to make sure I am getting the best. My rifles are composed of only the finest components. Buy once, cry once.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    ....But I don't care about either enough to pay for my own. Others will differ in perspective.

I get to shoot a lot of machine guns anyway, so maybe that's why I don't really get too excited about owning them (other than believing it's a constitutional right and the NFA is unconstitutional . . . ... But I also have like 13 silencers, which certainly could have been reduced to zero to pay for a machine gun. But value is relative.

Yes for those with free access to MGs and free ammo, sure its hard to pay for such things. Its nothing special or different. However to most not in Government services... its a different story. Our MG club does not have a particular high rate of Military, retired or active. When you hobby and work are to close together... the hobby part dies off.

I am skeptical that you take classes or regularly run matches with MGs, either. For one thing, there are zero competitive shooting sports that allow MGs, even in semi-auto. I have NEVER run into someone bringing an M16 lower to a class. ...

Prove me wrong. Thanks.

Prove you wrong... Hmm... It has been a while since my last trophy winning a MG competition.... but here is picture proof they exist... I won this one with a 1928 Thompson with one trigger pull! :) Sure its been a decade plus as I am not a big competition shooter.

IMG_20200617_090848.jpg

Most MG shooting on the east coast revolves around Knob Creek. Its about an hour plane flight or day drive away. They have MG competitions 2 times a year. http://www.knobcreekrange.com/events/featured-events/machine-gun-shoot

That said, MDTCA has not been that interested in running matches but with the action bays at the AGC coming in, we may start this year or next.

So I don't know how that goes for "proving" anything but I certainly think that proves your "zero competitive shooting sports that allow MGs" wrong.

The main problem you have with MGs in matches is target selection. MGs are best with masses of targets, not individual targets... which makes it harder to show the usefulness of MGs. You need targets stacked...

And if you don't actually use your guns (besides making light and noise?), why the **** are you weighing in on what's useful?

Oh, I see, I am just making light and noise and you are defending democracy from the Nazis and Communists cutting down hundreds with your SBR! Your trigger time is serious while I am just screwing around... I did not know we were talking about what was useful to the elite front line soldier who just had enough time to post before his next deployment. I thought we were talking about using guns in a hobby sense in which case I am sure I can find some equally condescending Muzzle loader to tell you that you are just running around making light and noise, same as me with a little movement. Its good to know that your use is the only true use of firearms in a hobby. :rolleyes:

Also, I own a full-auto M11/9 with a Lage Max11k upper, so please stop lecturing to me about how I don't know about machineguns and the fun of full auto. It gets next to no use compared to my SBRs and competition rifles. If you asked me to grab a rifle to defend myself, it would be nowhere near the top of the list.

Hey man, take it easy, we are just talking here. The OP asked if SBRs are worth it. To me they are not. I am simply making the point that what is "useful" or "practical" to one might be totally different. I had a SBR and sold it because it was not useful or practical for me. I never shot it. You might be the reverse and thats fine. I am also trying to make a general point to those "building" a gun collection not to take the road of dumping $10k into 3 nice SBRs if they eventually want to get into MGs as many do. Thats clearly not you. IMO it just eats up money for little benefit over standard rifles. 5 inches off a barrel is not something I would pay a lot and go through that much hassle for.

As far as you grabbing a rifle... well for a home invasion sure... how about a semi armed riot coming your way with several hundred people burning down houses? I think I would take the M16 and a few mags and leave a SBR. Hell I might even break out the MG08 as thats a proven crowd stopper! ;)

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    I didn't read the whole thread, but SBR rifles without a folding stock are only really good for keeping their length with a suppressor manageable.

SBRs with a folding stock are a different story. Very compact package. I love my AKSU.

All of them are frickin' loud and cough up fireballs, since the powder isn't given a chance to completely burn in a shorter barrel. Which is cool but starts to get old after a few shots.

Practically, a short-barreled carbine or SBR chambered in an intermediate round would be a good compromise. Blackout would be great if it was cheaper to shoot.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I didn't read the whole thread, but SBR rifles without a folding stock are only really good for keeping their length with a suppressor manageable.

SBRs with a folding stock are a different story. Very compact package. I love my AKSU.

All of them are frickin' loud and cough up fireballs, since the powder isn't given a chance to completely burn in a shorter barrel. Which is cool but starts to get old after a few shots.

Practically, a short-barreled carbine or SBR chambered in an intermediate round would be a good compromise. Blackout would be great if it was cheaper to shoot.

My AR will soon have a folding stock....

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2019/12/09/ews-bufferless-bcg-preorder/

ralph.mclean

GOC (Grumpy Old Cop)
    Jan 27, 2018
    Edgewater, MD
    Hey Jack!

I agree. What sucks in MD is the 29" OAL. So I can't SBR by AR9 unless I am able to find an 11 or 12" barrel which is uncommon for 9mm

Precision Firearms, just over the state line in Martinsburg, WV, will make you any kind of barrel you need/want. The owner's name is Mark Hoffstetter, and he is a really nice guy. I'm pretty sure he can make you am 11.5 inch 9mm barrel.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I've fired SBRs while folded and I can't say it appealed much to me, even with a VFG beer-canned. Helpful for transport, but outside of some very specific vehicle-use scenarios... not sure I think it's worth losing the ability to legally run a suppressor on it in MD. YMMV, etc.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I've fired SBRs while folded and I can't say it appealed much to me, even with a VFG beer-canned. Helpful for transport, but outside of some very specific vehicle-use scenarios... not sure I think it's worth losing the ability to legally run a suppressor on it in MD. YMMV, etc.

Its not something I plan to do, but it’s good to have the option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom