• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Frankly, having 50 rounds of flight controlled wad (FCW) buckshot is probably enough. That is about $50 from a place like this: https://www.bonefroggunclub.com/col...-8-pellet-with-flitecontrol-wad-2-3-4-le13300. AmmoJon carries it as well. I have slugs as well but mostly for the ranges that don’t allow buckshot (increasingly, all of them). But the Fed FCW stuff is like magic if you look at the tests and professional reviews. I also like the number 1 buck FCW load, but bought pre-panic.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    IMO the answer is as few as possible. No way I would rely on a shotgun as a primary weapon given the choice, or 3 gun style shell caddies. dual/quad loading caddies spit shells out any time they take a decent bump, the old style top loading (single stack) caddies are more secure, but as with all things shotgun, slow and bulky. IMO if a shotgun is needed for breeching, a serbu with a few breeching slugs stored out of the way of the primary weapon would be fine(if charges or a ram couldn't be used). If it was an issued weapon for an MP, PD or so, then a couple single stack caddies and maybe a small pouch of loose shells would probably be the way to go. Seemed to be the rig of choice in tac shotgun classes I've attended. The average class or competition carbine vs shotgun stage/drill usually makes the Carbine's superiority as a primary weapon pretty obvious.
    hey, it's good enough for john wick...

...although yeah, he would've been way better off stashing some extra mags for the AR, or even another AR instead of the shotgun.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    OP, if you are just looking to have an emergency stash, buy 75 rounds of Fed Flite Control and 25 slugs. That is more than enough for a long time of shooting classes if you supplement with cheap buck and birdshot (which tend to be available, even during ammo droughts), and it is wildly in excess of any civilian requirements in CONUS.

If you shoot multi-gun matches where slugs get frequent use, I would probably increase that to 75 slugs. I'm sending my Stoeger M3k out for some work today, and the dude at MOA Precision told me they had 35 (!) slugs at the last major match he shot. That's an outlier, but it's a consideration.

Fl1p

May 25, 2020
    OP, if you are just looking to have an emergency stash, buy 75 rounds of Fed Flite Control and 25 slugs. That is more than enough for a long time of shooting classes if you supplement with cheap buck and birdshot (which tend to be available, even during ammo droughts), and it is wildly in excess of any civilian requirements in CONUS.

If you shoot multi-gun matches where slugs get frequent use, I would probably increase that to 75 slugs. I'm sending my Stoeger M3k out for some work today, and the dude at MOA Precision told me they had 35 (!) slugs at the last major match he shot. That's an outlier, but it's a consideration.

I think that about where I’m thinking. I’ve missed out on classes I wanted to take in the past due to ammo being hard to find and shipping time not being able to get stuff to me. I’m going to just pack it away and go use on building my long range ammo stores back to decent levels.

Lloyd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2012
    FEMA Camp
    I'm sending my Stoeger M3k out for some work today, and the dude at MOA Precision told me they had 35 (!) slugs at the last major match he shot. That's an outlier, but it's a consideration.

At about a dollar per round that gets expensive. I'm suprised 2-Gun is gaining more traction (or perhaps it is, I just see it as being offered as much).

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    I think that about where I’m thinking. I’ve missed out on classes I wanted to take in the past due to ammo being hard to find and shipping time not being able to get stuff to me. I’m going to just pack it away and go use on building my long range ammo stores back to decent levels.

Yeah, if you're someone who takes classes and maybe shoots competitively, then a "combat load" doesn't really matter. Just stock up on as much ammo as you can.

One of my friends signed up for a carbine class that took place a few weeks ago. Signed up January, but realized he was low on ammo in early May. Needless to say, he spent as much on half a case as I spent on a case just 8 weeks earlier. Frankly, he was lucky to find any, let alone pay more for it. Buy it while you can. As the price starts to drop, buy more and more.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    Does anybody know off hand how many rounds are in a military combat load for a shotgun? I know the M4 is 7 mags(210 rds) but I can’t find anything for shotgun.

Safety Solution 10, 12 & 20 Gauge GA Stealth Black 56 Round Shotgun Shotshell Ammo Shot Shell Shoulder Bandolier

on Amazon.com

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    One of my friends signed up for a carbine class that took place a few weeks ago. Signed up January, but realized he was low on ammo in early May. Needless to say, he spent as much on half a case as I spent on a case just 8 weeks earlier. Frankly, he was lucky to find any, let alone pay more for it. Buy it while you can. As the price starts to drop, buy more and more.
    I am starting to hit this point, too. I can't just dump tons of Wolf Gold at classes anymore... gotta start saving it for matches. Even my stock of range-safe steel-case isn't where I'd like to be. I have also started to switch over to 5.45x39 for events where I can use bimetal ammo, since I have a pretty decent AR in that caliber. Not a perfect situation, but less and less of my life is.

That said, I have separate emergency reserves of ammo that don't get used for anything other than true emergencies, so I don't mind running dry on the other stuff.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    My combat shotgun( Benelli m4)
    Has 7 in the mag, 1 in the chamber, 1 ghostloaded on the lifter.

14 shells carried on a side saddle , 12 slugs on the sling. Plus 18 more buckshots on a plate carrier.

Attachments

• 456DAD7B-969A-456B-A981-F9CC39E9954D.jpg
      456DAD7B-969A-456B-A981-F9CC39E9954D.jpg
      42.9 KB · Views: 200

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    My combat shotgun( Benelli m4)
    Has 7 in the mag, 1 in the chamber, 1 ghostloaded on the lifter.

14 shells carried on a side saddle , 12 slugs on the sling. Plus 18 more buckshots on a plate carrier.

Does it come with a gym membership?

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I remember in 1991 when a Montgomery County officer accidentally shot a woman with his shotgun...they tried to blame it on the bandolier sling and the weight it added. The officer was convicted of involuntary manslaughter and served a year of a three year sentence.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I remember in 1991 when a Montgomery County officer accidentally shot a woman with his shotgun...they tried to blame it on the bandolier sling and the weight it added. The officer was convicted of involuntary manslaughter and served a year of a three year sentence.

I was going to mention that a fully loaded bandolier sling is awful cumbersome and, unless gyroscopically stabilized, can have a mind of it's own.

I sometimes keep a few... <10 rounds in a sling. More than that and it really starts seeming like a potential liability.

Now, a seperate bandolier as a way to keep ammo organized and handy...I'm all for that until the stretch wears out.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Not sure if anyone said it yet, but 'Holy Shit, some of those rigs are a lot of crap to carry'.

Somehow, I believe that if I ever have to reload my 8-shot pump gun (the one with no extra carriers, ghosts, dots, straps, lights, bells, sirens or beverage holders), that's still mobile enough to point where I'm looking, I would have had to have f*cked up on a very grand scale and another couple boxes of shells in my pockets isn't going to matter any more.

I'd encourage some here to actually go shoot a round of international skeet and/or some three gun with their favored rig, and then KNOW that you likely have to be faster and better than that to prevail.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I was going to mention that a fully loaded bandolier sling is awful cumbersome and, unless gyroscopically stabilized, can have a mind of it's own...
    Truth.

We tried sling-type bandoliers and shell belts for crow hunting in the mountains. Lots of walking, hiding and moving around. We quickly learned that trying to shoot well or quickly with a bando stuck on your gun is stupid. We also learned that shells were lost quite regularly from anything with open shell loops - if you're going to carry them that way, you better carry plenty...

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Not sure if anyone said it yet, but 'Holy Shit, some of those rigs are a lot of crap to carry'.

Somehow, I believe that if I ever have to reload my 8-shot pump gun (the one with no extra carriers, ghosts, dots, straps, lights, bells, sirens or beverage holders), that's still mobile enough to point where I'm looking, I would have had to have f*cked up on a very grand scale and another couple boxes of shells in my pockets isn't going to matter any more.

I'd encourage some here to actually go shoot a round of international skeet and/or some three gun with their favored rig, and then KNOW that you likely have to be faster and better than that to prevail.
    There you go being logical and shit. Raining all over this Gun bunny parade.

Ounces are pounds and pounds are painful. I can’t imagine manipulating my M1 or my 870 with more than the full tube: my FNSLP is a beast with a full tube. I might add a couple to my pocket if I had time but holy big rig Batman...

Maybe I need to invest in a pack animal.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Truth.

We tried sling-type bandoliers and shell belts for crow hunting in the mountains. Lots of walking, hiding and moving around. We quickly learned that trying to shoot well or quickly with a bando stuck on your gun is stupid. We also learned that shells were lost quite regularly from anything with open shell loops - if you're going to carry them that way, you better carry plenty...

Yeah...it seems soooo tacticool...until you try to actually do tactical (or even practical) stuff with it. :rolleyes:

There's nothing like that heavy ass sling trying to keep up with you and catching on door handles, or whacking into something (or part of you...like your face if you try to hang it off your shoulder too aggressively) and shucking out shells. It makes a damned heavy pendulum when you are trying to get a sight picture.

I am quite guilty of loading waaayyyy up and learning the hard way. I even bent a sling swivel :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom