• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    Anyone in SoCo homeschool their kids? I've got a little one going into Kindergarten next year (and another the following year) and am getting cold feet, especially given current events.

Before Covid, I never considered it/never could consider it, but after working form home for three months I'm wondering if its possible given the right support network, which doesn't look significant in SoCo.

Just wondering if anyone is local is doing it and if there are tips/resources more than I am finding online.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    We're in Montgomery County, but we home school. A suggestion is to check local churches for a co-op or umbrella program. Our church has one, costs under $1000 a year and our daughter went on Friday mornings to a structured program that gave her more of a school setting. It also allows the moms to drop off kids and go have brunch or coffee together.

We LOVE homeschooling. It only gets easier as they get older, because they start getting independent and using internet based programs. It allows flexibility for vacations, we go to Florida for most of February every year, something we couldn't do with traditional schooling. Also, since we are church based there is a religious element, including chapel time, incorporated to our kids learning.

Lots of Facebook groups too that discuss the different curriculums that are available. If you want, send me a PM and I'll get you in touch with my wife who knows all the ins and outs.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    Just got a notice from AACPS that they don't have enough chromebooks to support the virtual schooling the they decided on. This is looking to be an epic cluster from the get go.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Look around for homeschool co-ops or tutorial programs. We've started the school year already with our kids. Our church tutorial has decided that masks will be required for classroom setting, so we have opted out of that portion at least for the first half of the year.

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    Join HSLDA.org They are a good legal resource and strong lobby group for homeschooling nationwide.

20+ years ago when we lived in Charles Co. and were homeschooling our children, we belonged to SPEAR, https://www.homeschool-life.com/777/index_public
    My wife also was a volunteer liaison with the Charles Co. Board of Ed. The person charged with keeping track of homeschoolers in the county had no interest in homeschoolers and was more than willing to let the families police themselves as long as no one drew attention to themselves.

The advice provided above about finding a local co-op through a church is good advice.

Two resources for curriculum:
    https://www.rainbowresource.com/
    https://www.sonlight.com/

We also enjoyed the freedom to travel and tailor the education we were providing to our kids. Everyone has different learning styles and the pace they learn will vary for many reasons. You are far more motivated to provide your children with a meaningful education than any government employee. Most teachers will never know, much less care if your child is still living in your basement when they are 35 years old. Find the areas that give your children joy and challenge them to learn all they can about finding ways to make a living doing something meaningful.

Good luck. Be safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom