• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • imaoldcowhand

Aug 3, 2018
    For those driving on vacation this year, how would you travel?
    Providing the covid-19 virus allows us to travel.

I’m looking at alternative routes that may take a little longer to get where I am going vs straight routes through larger, potentially unsafe cities/areas.

Night travel vs day?

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    If your reasoning is traffic, I would say go out when you want. I've come through DC 4 times in the last week at prime time and against all odds I sailed through.

Schools are out, lots of people are Tele working still and you have a lot of FSA still sit5ing on their asses taking Uncle Sugars money.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Oddly enough night travel looks worse this year. Protests happen during the day. Vandalism and rioting happens after dark.

TrappedinMD

Dec 15, 2011
    Western MD
    This non sense has not effected my traveling one bit and you shouldn't let it effect you either! I dont like large population centers anyways so avoiding them is what i always do but traffic is slightly lighter than last year on the highways.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Leaving Saturday to see our daughter in CT...driving. Usually we take the train but we're hauling furniture and other items as she and her husband just bought their first house.

No other trips planned this summer outside of day trips when my wife's family comes from AZ to visit.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    The CT, NY, & NJ quarantine doesn't affect MD'ers. You might still want to keep an eye out for overzealous neighbors.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Leaving Saturday to see our daughter in CT...driving. Usually we take the train but we're hauling furniture and other items as she and her husband just bought their first house.

No other trips planned this summer outside of day trips when my wife's family comes from AZ to visit.

Just don’t stop in New York! We’re going to HHI this fall and driving I-95. Safe trip

Attachments

• 9B2817E8-32E1-4C56-95BE-339B5DDA51C6.jpg
      9B2817E8-32E1-4C56-95BE-339B5DDA51C6.jpg
      43.7 KB · Views: 399
    • C6E84784-6FE3-400C-BD75-FEAD94C8B95B.jpg
      C6E84784-6FE3-400C-BD75-FEAD94C8B95B.jpg
      45.4 KB · Views: 421

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    We left this morning for the OBX at 4:30. Usually takes us 12 hours or so with traffic on this specific time of year. Horrible traffic and back ups. This year, got here at 1:30, and have to wait because our house isn't ready yet. Traffic was pretty easy this year, much lighter, with only a few minor back ups. Fast food joints are hit or miss. Some places allow dine in, others drive thru only, no bathroom privileges. At the rest areas, you need to wear a mask. At the Virgina welcome station, there was a lady turning away people at the door who didn't have a mask. At the Hardees that allowed dine in, they did ask customers without masks to go out and get them, or use the drive thru.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    We left this morning for the OBX at 4:30. Usually takes us 12 hours or so with traffic on this specific time of year. Horrible traffic and back ups. This year, got here at 1:30, and have to wait because our house isn't ready yet. Traffic was pretty easy this year, much lighter, with only a few minor back ups. Fast food joints are hit or miss. Some places allow dine in, others drive thru only, no bathroom privileges. At the rest areas, you need to wear a mask. At the Virgina welcome station, there was a lady turning away people at the door who didn't have a mask. At the Hardees that allowed dine in, they did ask customers without masks to go out and get them, or use the drive thru.

Yea, I love the part where you have to wear a mask to walk in and when shown to your table you can take it off just to put it back on when you leave to go back outside. Makes sense....not.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    For those driving on vacation this year, how would you travel?
    Providing the covid-19 virus allows us to travel.

I’m looking at alternative routes that may take a little longer to get where I am going vs straight routes through larger, potentially unsafe cities/areas.

Night travel vs day?

CNN has an article on exactly this topic running right now.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    If your going to the beach
    Try to arrive HOURS before check in cause so many get up late and try to arrive at check in and hit traffic. Get there early and go eat or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sirex