• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Assuming you meant From AZ to Md ( since you're asking on MDS instead of Arizona Shooters ) . The real answer is it entirely depends upon each County's ordances , and they vary greatly . Let us know your local jurisdiction , and someone will likely have the answers .

I will also observe that in our climate and environment , that field mice naturally occur in the wild independent of humans , so it's not physically possible to decisively wipe them out .

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Already had exactly the same experience this year. We let 'em live, because we like feeding the fox family that visits our yard every night. They go through a LOT of mice (and chipmunks, and birds, and fatty steak trimmings).

:thumbsup:

It's the cycle of Life. My burger can wait.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Assuming you meant From AZ to Md ( since you're asking on MDS instead of Arizona Shooters ) . The real answer is it entirely depends upon each County's ordances , and they vary greatly . Let us know your local jurisdiction , and someone will likely have the answers .

I will also observe that in our climate and environment , that field mice naturally occur in the wild independent of humans , so it's not physically possible to decisively wipe them out .

This and This.

Some counties this would be legal. In other ones not legal.

You will seldom see them outdoors, unless you have a grain stash or barn with spilled grain.

Even indoors, you will seldom see them, just the evidence of them being there.

Best thing I found to deal with them is have a black snake move in. Clears them out nicely.

DustyDave

Jul 1, 2020
    Finksburg, MD
    I thought the distance restriction was only for firearms.....an air rifle isn’t a firearm. Did you see something that specifically mentioned air rifles? I would think you should be fine shooting an air rifle ....no one would even know if you do it discreetly.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I thought the distance restriction was only for firearms.....an air rifle isn’t a firearm. Did you see something that specifically mentioned air rifles? I would think you should be fine shooting an air rifle ....no one would even know if you do it discreetly.

Just depends on the county. In Montgomery, the air rifle IS considered a firearm. No distinction.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I like to put a cheerio or dry cereal nugget in middle of the peanut butter.
    Keeps them from licking it clean when the trap is too tight cause of temperature change.

I like the rolling log bucket. I have seen mice jump pretty high so I'd put SOME water in it just to keep them from jumping out.
    If you want to save the mice, send them to the crazy lawyer fence neighbor I saw in another thread. Just leave them outside crazy lawyer's garage.

lemmdus

Feb 24, 2015
    It depends on were you live. If you live in the country no one will care. I shoot off my porch at a steel target with my air rifle. No one care, but I live in the country. However, just to be safe an not let the bastards into your house, I would call an exterminator. I don't know where you live but unless your near a barn or something there shouldn't be mice/rats.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

In some counties, based on their ordinances, even a Nerf gun is illegal to fire.

gre24ene

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2012
    Use a hot glue gun to glue a cracker or cheerio to a mouse trap so he can't pull it off. Guarantee if the trap goes off it means dead mouse.

fiveloaves

Sep 9, 2013
    Montgomery County
    So far we have bagged zero rats. Tried sticky paper and we must have done a job on a bird since we found many feathers. Also tried Victor & Toloco traps, both fed the rats but not strong enough to hold. Next is Plaster of Paris and cornmeal. I liked the idea of flamethrower, also my niece suggested a snake but my neighbor has a little 5 lb. poodle and I like my neighbor.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    State law isn't the Iimiting factor , it's County law .

To absolutely trap a rodent , cheese popcorn in a glue trap .

Samlab

Feb 14, 2018
    Down by the riverside
    Just get a cat....I had one for 20 years she was a Dat, half dog half cat....I'd whistle and shed come running home and in the door like a bullet.....shed fetch bottle caps, would sit, paw and get off, when asked. She was a fantastic mouser....My Mom found one in the basement years ago....whatdoIdo? I'll bring PJ over.....never had another mouse. Shes been gone for 30 years as of May....best Cat ever....a real trooper. Yes she gobbled them down whole crunch, crunch, crunch. Air rifles for picking off vermin in your yard is not illegal in MD....but having a cat in MD is like owning a Puma to a mouse or rat.....if you live in the city just move.....it'll be too time consuming and a no win as there are billions you won't even make a dent.....if they are Norway Rats better known as Warf Rats....that's a completely different animal....they are huge, and mean....they call for a .22 caliber powerful air rifle. Go Cat, feed, walk away, job done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom