• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sixspeedshift

Jul 6, 2020
    Hello all,

First time poster. Been very interested in buying a KS7 but I have seen lots of problems online, a lot to do with round feeding and so on, with many stories of people sending their guns back to keltec for several parts replacements, sometimes multiple times. I am wondering:

Have these problems been sorted in newer production batches?

If so, how can I know I am getting one of the newer ones?

Any recommendations on stores in the USA that have inventory? Been looking around a lot but noone near me has any. I have emailed many stores in Maryland. Gunbroker has a few but always a lot over retail. Trying to get a black one and pay retail plus all the FFL fees.

thanks!

jokie

May 27, 2020
    A in AA
    I have one. Bought April this year. Around 50 rounds of slugs fired without any malfunction.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Right now I suspect that inventory on most items is low on most shops. You may reach a point where you have to decide whether you're willing to wait or whether you're willing to pay a mark up. The election won't help.

WildWeasel

Mar 31, 2019
    MI>FL>MD
    Have these problems been sorted in newer production batches?

If so, how can I know I am getting one of the newer ones?

Any recommendations on stores in the USA that have inventory? Been looking around a lot but noone near me has any. I have emailed many stores in Maryland. Gunbroker has a few but always a lot over retail. Trying to get a black one and pay retail plus all the FFL fees.

thanks!

Usually Keltec gets the bugs out after 6-8 months, which I think we're well past. Pre wuflu, you might have still had some of the 'older ones floating around but now? Doubt it...

Try seeing if the local shops will order for you. You'll probably wait and probably pay more than you would like, but in 2 months or so ammo and firearms prices are going to go up more. After that? Who knows...

sixspeedshift

Jul 6, 2020
    Usually Keltec gets the bugs out after 6-8 months, which I think we're well past. Pre wuflu, you might have still had some of the 'older ones floating around but now? Doubt it...

Try seeing if the local shops will order for you. You'll probably wait and probably pay more than you would like, but in 2 months or so ammo and firearms prices are going to go up more. After that? Who knows...
    Any idea how long one would take to come after an order from a shop? I am on Keltec's waitlist too but they told me they prioritize inventory to distributors over individuals on their own list

jokie

May 27, 2020
    A in AA
    where did you manage to find one in April?

thanks all for the replies!
    I was looking for a pump action 12G and not really looking for a Kel-Tec specifically but all FSL's in my area were out. I found out that WAS has a few Kel-Tecs on their wall and bought the KS7 from there. Price, of course, was a little premium (maybe $50 more than MSRP) but I was kinda expecting that given the fact that no other FSL's that time had anything on their walls.
    Most of the FTE and FTF issues attributed to the KS7 and KSG, I believe, are from short-stroking. It is way to easy to short-stroke the action. Some say that the early productions have chambers that have some sort or parkerized finish which can cause failure to extract. A light polish should fix that. I never had that issue myself but I did give my KS7 a thorough cleaning and lubing before first use.
    Built-in sights/carry handle also did not work for me. Carry-handle was since replaced with a KSG upper rail and A2-type fixed irons installed.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I was looking for a pump action 12G and not really looking for a Kel-Tec specifically but all FSL's in my area were out. I found out that WAS has a few Kel-Tecs on their wall and bought the KS7 from there. Price, of course, was a little premium (maybe $50 more than MSRP) but I was kinda expecting that given the fact that no other FSL's that time had anything on their walls.
    Most of the FTE and FTF issues attributed to the KS7 and KSG, I believe, are from short-stroking. It is way to easy to short-stroke the action. Some say that the early productions have chambers that have some sort or parkerized finish which can cause failure to extract. A light polish should fix that. I never had that issue myself but I did give my KS7 a thorough cleaning and lubing before first use.
    Built-in sights/carry handle also did not work for me. Carry-handle was since replaced with a KSG upper rail and A2-type fixed irons installed.

Like to see a picture of that setup

jokie

May 27, 2020
    A in AA

Attachments

• 95D63096-9552-479E-8FCA-B1CCCDA7C29B.jpg
      95D63096-9552-479E-8FCA-B1CCCDA7C29B.jpg
      130.4 KB · Views: 519

sixspeedshift

Jul 6, 2020

sorry for n00b question, what/where is WAS?

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Any recommendations on stores in the USA that have inventory?

CDNN Sports HAD them for the longest time; I wouldn’t hesitate to call them (Central, possibly even MTN time) and inquire. Sure, chances are 90% they’ll tell you “all gone” but occasionally they’ll have a solo or handful of items (I snagged a Weatherby D’Italia SxS weeks after they stopped appearing in their e-flyers, back in ‘07. Turns out it was a display and it wasn’t worth their using up precious ad space to circular it.

And, I’d keep calling them like, say, 1st of each month ... they WILL get them back in. They get lots of KelTec stuff; I need to start watching and seeing if there is a correlation to when it occurs, I.e, every Fall/Winter, etc.

sixspeedshift

Jul 6, 2020
    CDNN Sports HAD them for the longest time; I wouldn’t hesitate to call them (Central, possibly even MTN time) and inquire. Sure, chances are 90% they’ll tell you “all gone” but occasionally they’ll have a solo or handful of items (I snagged a Weatherby D’Italia SxS weeks after they stopped appearing in their e-flyers, back in ‘07. Turns out it was a display and it wasn’t worth their using up precious ad space to circular it.

And, I’d keep calling them like, say, 1st of each month ... they WILL get them back in. They get lots of KelTec stuff; I need to start watching and seeing if there is a correlation to when it occurs, I.e, every Fall/Winter, etc.
    will definitely try them, thanks!

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    :thumbsup:

I’m sorta in the same boat as you. I mean CDNN HAS this 33-round 22LR Pistol in stock up but, like you, I want to confirm it’s reliability / dependability BEFORE I commit duckets: https://www.cdnnsports.com/kel-tec-cp33-22lr-black-29839.html?___SID=U#.Xwahdy1q2hA

Oh yeah, and I’d need to find a source for at least 4 or 5 add’l mags for it as well and, like the KS-7, I’m turning up dry on searches for those 33-Rd mags :-/

OTOH, there is that 9mm Gatling gun, gnawing at my conscious mind (not to be confused with ‘conscience’, had that removed :innocent0 )

sixspeedshift

Jul 6, 2020
    :thumbsup:

I’m sorta in the same boat as you. I mean CDNN HAS this 33-round 22LR Pistol in stock up but, like you, I want to confirm it’s reliability / dependability BEFORE I commit duckets: https://www.cdnnsports.com/kel-tec-cp33-22lr-black-29839.html?___SID=U#.Xwahdy1q2hA

Oh yeah, and I’d need to find a source for at least 4 or 5 add’l mags for it as well and, like the KS-7, I’m turning up dry on searches for those 33-Rd mags :-/

OTOH, there is that 9mm Gatling gun, gnawing at my conscious mind (not to be confused with ‘conscience’, had that removed :innocent0 )
    That looks pretty sick. In this environment you could buy it, try it, and sell it for a small loss to maybe even neutral or a gain.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Big dogs just got I believe ( they just posted it up on there Facebook page) 1 or 2 of the ks 7s in yesterday.

sixspeedshift

Jul 6, 2020
    got one!!!! at retail too, $550 after tax.

basically emailed/called a ton of places, and set restock alerts on as many websites as I could find (probably 20+ sites) along with an email alert on my phone for when they came in.

first store to have it, I waited too long and it was sold out. second alert was a store selling for $999. third store, dk firearms in VA, i bought within 5 minutes of the email and finally got it. took about 2 months overall

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom