• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Never owned a switchblade until I was 74. Then I made the mistake of reading a bunch of posts her, and the concept began to ferment. (The damn things are like Really Expensive Potato Chips).

After I got deeper into it, there was a post about the "Chain Drive" Rat Worx knives; I'm a sucker for oddball mechanical ideas, and I fell hard.

View attachment 414186 View attachment 414187 View attachment 414188
    Interesting design.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Interesting design.
    Yeah, but I don't see them for EDC. Those chains look like they live to eat pocket fuzz. Nice authoritative action, though, and hefty blades.

Posted somewhere here is a link to a video of the machine they built to torture-test the action. Whatthehell, it was easy to google, so see below.

418,000 iterations before one of the springs broke. Release button showed wear; everything else was fine.

gforce

MDS Supporter
    Aug 22, 2018
    Yeah, but I don't see them for EDC. Those chains look like they live to eat pocket fuzz. Nice authoritative action, though, and hefty blades.

Posted somewhere here is a link to a video of the machine they built to torture-test the action. Whatthehell, it was easy to google, so see below.

418,000 iterations before one of the springs broke. Release button showed wear; everything else was fine.

Those are neat. How does it lock up? looked quite sturdy in the video

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    20230519_191045.jpg

I forgot how much I like OTFs. They're about as safe of a knife as you can get.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Those are neat. How does it lock up? looked quite sturdy in the video
    Really tight. These things are tanks, not delicate-feeling like the OTF knives.

They are currently out of production; I don't know why, or whether they'll crank it up again.

gforce

MDS Supporter
    Aug 22, 2018
    Really tight. These things are tanks, not delicate-feeling like the OTF knives.

They are currently out of production; I don't know why, or whether they'll crank it up again.
    My only experience with OTF’s has been cheap-o’s, watched one disassemble itself when the owner fired it.

These things look like a totally different ballgame

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    My only experience with OTF’s has been cheap-o’s, watched one disassemble itself when the owner fired it.

I have some OTF knives; by their nature, they're not as strong as an OTS. However, the higher-end ones from Microtech, Heretic, Guardian Tactical (who actually produced the Rat Worx chain knives) and others, haven't disassembled themselves in my hands. You get what you pay for, in terms of engineering and materials.

But yes, these knives impress me with their solidity.

gforce

MDS Supporter
    Aug 22, 2018
    I have some OTF knives; by their nature, they're not as strong as an OTS. However, the higher-end ones from Microtech, Heretic, Guardian Tactical (who actually produced the Rat Worx chain knives) and others, haven't disassembled themselves in my hands. You get what you pay for, in terms of engineering and materials.

But yes, these knives impress me with their solidity.
    I've heard those companies make great knives, haven't handled any yet though. The price to get into them has kept me away from ordering one sight unseen; especially considering I paid 35 for my kizer on a flash sale :D.

The chain drive is fascinating though, looks sturdy enough to daily carry. Maybe in a belt pouch though, like you said, it would eat lint.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I've heard those companies make great knives, haven't handled any yet though. The price to get into them has kept me away from ordering one sight unseen; especially considering I paid 35 for my kizer on a flash sale :D.

The chain drive is fascinating though, looks sturdy enough to daily carry. Maybe in a belt pouch though, like you said, it would eat lint.
    I've lucked out in buying used knives at Bladeforum.com. Still not cheap, but you can get a knife that's new for all practical purposes for a significant discount. Most of the automatic knife guys are collectors, and the knives end up in the safe after the thrill of playing with thm wears off. Then the sell it to get the next sharp toy.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

I have a Chinese knock off Benchmade OTF and a real Microtech. Worlds apart.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    The Microtech addiction is real. I have a bunch of autos, but there’s something special about the Microtechs. I am currently EDCing an Ultratech that I’m wearing at my daughters wedding today.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Never owned a switchblade until I was 74. Then I made the mistake of reading a bunch of posts her, and the concept began to ferment. (The damn things are like Really Expensive Potato Chips).

After I got deeper into it, there was a post about the "Chain Drive" Rat Worx knives; I'm a sucker for oddball mechanical ideas, and I fell hard.

View attachment 414186 View attachment 414187 View attachment 414188
    Buddy had one in his pocket and knife opened. He reaches in there and got 6 stitches

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Buddy had one in his pocket and knife opened. He reaches in there and got 6 stitches
    Was the offending knife one of the chain drive models?

I like mine for what they are, the archetypal Steampunk Switchblade.

But I probably won't be carrying them on an EDC basis.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Was the offending knife one of the chain drive models?

I like mine for what they are, the archetypal Steampunk Switchblade.

But I probably won't be carrying them on an EDC basis.
    No it was some benchmade. Total user error only mentioned it as a word to the wise!

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    No it was some benchmade. Total user error only mentioned it as a word to the wise!
    Damn - was it an OTF or auto folder? I almost made that mistake with a Kershaw spring-assist folder that took practically no pressure on the flipper to deploy. My dumbass had it in a pocket with other stuff that caused it to deploy. Hand went in pocket, caught the point and hand was withdrawn before needing stitches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom