• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Awhile back I bought a Colt WWI reproduction Model O1918. As much as I love it, it's a little too nice and valuable to beat on and shoot on a regular basis.

With all the political uncertainty, especially a bad feeling I have that firearms sales on military bases will soon be a thing of the past I decided to go ahead and start looking for more of an everyday kind of 1911.

Today I went to Andrews AFB Exchange to see what they had and I ended up buying the last Springfield Mil-Spec 1911A1 they had in stock.

It's nothing special. Parkerized finish with mil-spec sights. It doesn't have any of the taci-cool features so many of the other models have and was exactly what I was looking for.

The only other 1911 they had was a Gold Cup Colt which doesn't really interest me.

Anyway, here it is. Hope to have my "NOT DISAPPROVED" email in time that I can pick it up after work next Friday.

Attachments

• Springfield 1911-A1  March 2021.jpg
      Springfield 1911-A1 March 2021.jpg
      117 KB · Views: 330
    Last edited:

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    I've never had any problems with mine - never a hiccup, never a jam.

A friend at work said the same thing.

Have you found a brand of magazine you really like or one that is problematic? My buddy said his doesn't like Colt magazines.

Have you shot any hollow points through it?

Years ago I laid in a supply of .45 ACP Speer Gold Dot JHP 230 gr for a Glock.

I was planning on ordering a handful of Springfield magazines before Joe and Kamal say I can't.

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    Nice--Hope she turns out to be a good shooter for ya. Bought a 1911 Springer Range Officer last fall. Fell in love at first shot-- :thumbsup:

G8tor

Nov 30, 2013
    Calvert County

Have you found a brand of magazine you really like or one that is problematic? My buddy said his doesn't like Colt magazines.

Years ago I laid in a supply of .45 ACP Speer Gold Dot 230 gr for a Glock.

I was planning on ordering a handful of Springfield magazines before Joe and Kamal say I can't.

I have the same gun in stainless steel. I use Springfield factory mags and chip McCormick. Never had a problem with either.

bigslimdog

Mar 17, 2013
    Harford Co.
    Congrats, very nice! I've had a SA Range Officer for 8 years now and it hasn't had a single malfunction with anything I've fed it, including some junk reload ammo.

Attachments

• D7D994ED-9BBD-4C32-931B-AEDDF6CD23C6.jpg
      D7D994ED-9BBD-4C32-931B-AEDDF6CD23C6.jpg
      229.2 KB · Views: 242

bigslimdog

Mar 17, 2013
    Harford Co.

Years ago I laid in a supply of .45 ACP Speer Gold Dot JHP 230 gr for a Glock.

The 7 round and 8 round MecGar mags have been flawless for me.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Today I went to Andrews AFB Exchange to see what they had and I ended up buying the last Springfield Mil-Spec 1911A1 they had in stock.

It's nothing special. Parkerized finish with mil-spec sights. It doesn't have any of the taci-cool features so many of the other models have and was exactly what I was looking for.

Late to the party here, but I had a Springfield "G.I. .45" Milspec that I picked up back in the early 2000s. It's the one gun I wish I never sold. There were a couple of stove pipe ejections in the first 200 rounds (literally 2 out of 200) but after that, it ran flawlessly regardless of what I chose to feed her. If you keep it fairly stock and clean her on occasion, she'll run beautifully and the way that God and JMB intended her to. Nice pick-up, I'm more than a little jealous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom