• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    Postponed: AGC Spring Range Day Call for Volunteers

Postponed

Tried to post this in the MDS AGC sub-forum, but it appears to be closed. Posting here in case there are members who don’t get these emails, and might come out to help clean up:
    Range Day is scheduled for Sunday 11 April.

Thank you for volunteering your labor for the first of two Range Days scheduled for 2021.

Those of you with Range Day experience will find the format similar to previous years.

If you are a first timer, it goes something like this:
    Hours: 0800 - 1200 for Range Badge Credit (2022)
    0630: Begin donation breakfast at Memorial Hall
    1215: Begin donation lunch at Memorial Hall
    Range reopens at 1200.​

ADMIN:
    To receive Range Day credit for your AGC Range Badge you must register at Memorial Hall.
    FYI: Know your Range Badge number.
    Typically, you will receive no more than four hours credit.
    Donations for eats are appreciated (thank you).
    Parking could be scarce so choose your parking considering work vehicles will be in the area all morning.
    If it is wet, care on grass surfaces please. Dress for the weather. Work areas could be overgrown so wear protective lengths. Gloves and eye protection are recommended.
    If you have tools suitable for yard work, please bring along weed whackers, loppers, chain saws, shears or heavy-duty yard rakes for use or loan. Make sure to mark the loaners so they are properly returned.

RANGE TASKING:

A. Outer parking lot drive: Clear and square surface fault. Use cold patch to cover the depression to surface level and compact. 1 to 2 volunteers.

B. Erosion cut line with erosion control material and fill with stone to creek bed. 2 volunteers.

C. 200-yard range. Clear partially cut deadfall from right hand side of the range. Move to work area
    cutting logs for firewood disposal. 2 volunteers.

D. Climbing Vines. Form three to four skirmish lines in designated areas. As climbing vines are encountered, twice cut vines about a foot above ground level. Gloves are recommended. Sturdy shoes and protective clothing suggested. 10-16 volunteers.

E. Parking stops (rail road ties). Rake back pea gravel and reset ties. Groom gravel walkway. 6 burly volunteers.

F. Range Signage. Located near Wards Chapel Road, weed and mulch the planting bed. 2 volunteers.

G. Clear/create swale located to the left of the AGC entrance on Wards Chapel Road. Four to five feet
    should do. 3 volunteers.

H. 100 Yard Range Impact Berm: Clear all erosion accumulated behind railroad ties blocking target frame mounts. 6 volunteers.

I. 100 Yard Range Target Stands: Clear all debris fouling target pipe stands on the 50-yard line. All 200
    must be cleared. 6 volunteers.

J. Fill Stump Grinding Divots: Clear wood debris and fill divot with soil mounding two to four inches above ground level and compact. 6 volunteers.

K. Erosion Control 100-yard Impact Berm: Remove all overburden eroded from impact berm. Certified/
    authorized tractor operator only. Overburden removed will be used as fill/top soil for tree divots. 1
    volunteer.

L. Drainage Swales: Clear all swales and improve drainage along dividing berms on pistol, 100- and 200-yard ranges. 10 volunteers each range. Needed are weed whackers and tools suitable for scraping (like a garden hoe) not necessarily digging.

M. HUGE TASK: Cut to fireplace length and split the log pile on the 200-yard parking lot. Relocate split firewood to the stacking area behind the storage sheds adjacent to the maintenance building. Chain saws and bar oil please.

If you elect to join us, please respond to RangeDay@AGCrange.org via e-mail. Please advise your name, club and identify which task (by letter) you can't wait to accomplish.

Thank you again,
    Pat Koehler
    Range Day Commander

Last edited:

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    Yep bring your chainsaws if you have them. The AGC cut down over 1 dozen trees on the property.

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide

Attachments

• 900C1EAB-54D2-4449-9176-3EAF1BC5F79A.jpeg
      900C1EAB-54D2-4449-9176-3EAF1BC5F79A.jpeg
      40 KB · Views: 301
    • 3BC73105-A33D-4CD5-8EA0-42FB0F1F708F.jpeg
      3BC73105-A33D-4CD5-8EA0-42FB0F1F708F.jpeg
      96.9 KB · Views: 300

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    The AGC events calendar needs to be updated to reflect cancellation of range day.
    I’m not sure anyone from AGC “officially” checks in on MDS now that the AGC sub forum is kaput.

I just posted this because I know I’m not the only member of both, trying to get the word out.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I am curious about all of that wood. The only fireplace or woodstoves are on the trap fields. They can't possibly use all that wood.

Isn't there also a fireplace in Memorial Hall? There's a camp site for the boy scouts behind the maintenance building too,they may use it too.
    But yes it seems like a lot of wood too!

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    I am curious about all of that wood. The only fireplace or woodstoves are on the trap fields. They can't possibly use all that wood.

There are wood stoves in the trap pavilions, the shooting bay pavilion, ad several burn barrels.

As I understand it, the wood will be up for grabs after range day occurs and the AGC has enough stacked to last a few years. Bring your chain saw to range day and a way to transport some home if you would like it.

Mud Turtle

Jan 11, 2009
    Baltimore, Maryland
    There are wood stoves in the trap pavilions, the shooting bay pavilion, ad several burn barrels.

As I understand it, the wood will be up for grabs after range day occurs and the AGC has enough stacked to last a few years. Bring your chain saw to range day and a way to transport some home if you would like it.

I just thought that if they were giving the wood away, instead of having a mess of guys running around with chain saws all at once, let people come on their own time and whittle away at it. If they had done that, all that wood would be gone by now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom