• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • euler357

Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Odenton, Marylandistan
    Got this from John Josselyn with under 1 hour before the vote.

This is indeed a dirty trick by changing the purpose of SB190.

We have just been advised that the House Judiciary Committee (JUD) has amended SB 190, Senator Hough's cannabis bill to include the language of the ghost gun bill.

A vote session has been scheduled for tonight at 7:00 pm. The vote list will include SBs 190 and 666 only. The reprint for SB 190 is attached and the zoom link is below.

Zoom Invite Link: https://zoom.us/j/91702414400

Click here for the amended version of SB 190.

ACTION ALERT:

PLEASE EMAIL THE COMMITTEE MEMBERS AND OPPOSE THIS AMENDMENT!
    John H. Josselyn
    2A Maryland

House Judiciary Committee - Email Addresses

luke.clippinger@house.state.md.us;
    vanessa.atterbeary@house.state.md.us ;
    curt.anderson@house.state.md.us ;
    lauren.arikan@house.state.md.us;
    sandy.bartlett@house.state.md.us ;
    jon.cardin@house.state.md.us ;
    frank.conaway@house.state.md.us ;
    dan.cox@house.state.md.us ;
    charlotte.crutchfield@house.state.md.us ;
    debra.davis@house.state.md.us ;
    wanika.fisher@house.state.md.us;
    robin.grammer@house.state.md.us ;
    mike.griffith@house.state.md.us ;
    rachel.jones@house.state.md.us ;
    lesley.lopez@house.state.md.us ;
    michael.malone@house.state.md.us;
    susan.mccomas@house.state.md.us ;
    david.moon@house.state.md.us ;
    emily.shetty@house.state.md.us;
    brenda.thiam@house.state.md.us ;
    ron.watson@house.state.md.us ;
    nicole.williams@house.state.md.us

euler357

Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Odenton, Marylandistan
    I was personally leaning for not allowing use of prescription cannabis to remove your rights. My father-in-law recently passed from cancer and the cannabis tincture really seemed to help him in his struggle. It is horrible to make someone choose between their god-given rights and their health.

Completely changing the meaning of this bill at the last second to further deprive people of their rights is equally horrible. My understanding is that they are going to vote on this change without hearing anything from the opposition.

I emailed all of the committee members and will be supporting everyone (even if they aren't in my district) who supports our god-given rights.

Chris

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    ATF says marijuana means no guns, so I'm not sure what MD thinks they're doing with the underlying bill. MSP will still deny every handgun purchase due to the 4473 answers and NICS denial.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    We've been saved the past few years from last-minute MDGA shenanigans by medical emergencies. Maybe this year there will be another medical issue that requires a quick end to the session, say maybe the rapid spread among members of a particularly virulent strain of genital warts?

euler357

Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Odenton, Marylandistan
    Yeah, the bill wasn't actually going to change anything anyway but adding this to it is ridiculous.

On the cannabis issue, they really need to align the federal, state, and local laws on this. It's not right that there are conflicting rules, regulation, and laws with severe consequences that leave citizens in a state of not knowing the legality of their actions. We really need to fix this.

I don't recall the name of the person who testified but I really liked the Sh*t shovel AK testimony and it's unclear whether a shovel would be illegal under this law. It seems to come down to intent vs the actual composition of the item. For criminals, there is nothing to keep them from building from scratch or bringing 80% in from other states. We really need to start holding evil doers responsible for their actions instead of giving them a pass and blaming inanimate objects.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    They need to push back. In Maryland, a bill may not contain anything unrelated to the bill. So if it is a cannabis bill, it cannot then include firearms. A Bay restoration bill cannot include raising the states alcohol age. MGA is not allowed to do the same things that Congress can do.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    They need to push back. In Maryland, a bill may not contain anything unrelated to the bill. So if it is a cannabis bill, it cannot then include firearms. A Bay restoration bill cannot include raising the states alcohol age. MGA is not allowed to do the same things that Congress can do.

There is a firearms nexus to the cannabis bill, although it's a tenuous connection to the new content. The bigger problem is the referees who decide if it's within bounds are the same leadership who are pushing this stuff.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Single subject rule?

I'd like to see the mental gymnastics to conflate these two subjects.

LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD
    There is some hilariously wrong stuff added in for the firearms. I guess that is what happens when you don’t know what you are doing and try to jam gun stuff into a pot bill.

euler357

Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Odenton, Marylandistan
    Delegate Lesley J. Lopez ..... it's already illegal for felons / criminals to have guns. Why is she trying to make criminals out of law-abiding citizens?

euler357

Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Odenton, Marylandistan
    Yeah, I'm liking some Del Grammar. Don't think it will have any effect on the BATFE / NICS check though. Especially since they have made private transfers illegal, there is no legal way for MD cannabis card holders to acquire firearms since the NICS check will deny them

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Yeah, I'm liking some Del Grammar. Don't think it will have any effect on the BATFE / NICS check though. Especially since they have made private transfers illegal, there is no legal way for MD cannabis card holders to acquire firearms since the NICS check will deny them

Close relative could xfer. IIRC that's one of the limited exceptions in the Long Gun Xfer Law. But it would still be a Federal crime for both parties.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom