• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leomort

Jul 31, 2020
    How's the predator hunting around here? Anyone hunt coyotes? Always want to try that but never had opportunity or mentor to give it a try. What would best way to go about getting into the predator hunting? Try finding local area farmers?

Texas solo

Mar 5, 2021
    Not many yotes in Md. But fox hunting is very similar but slower. Same equipment, same procedure. Now in TX and I shoot coyote often, an occasional bobcat too. But fox hunting in Md taught me a lot.

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    Plenty of yotes in MD. They are a bit skittish and have been taught well how to avoid calls. I usually set up remote from the caller, and catch the ones circling around.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Plenty of yotes in MD. They are a bit skittish and have been taught well how to avoid calls. I usually set up remote from the caller, and catch the ones circling around.

This. They behave differently than their western cousins.

Texas solo

Mar 5, 2021
    I did not know MD had yotes now. I left MD in 2007 and there were none. In TX they come in fast & hard. I usually see one within 10 minutes. Sometimes they hang up at 100 to 150 yrs but I usually shoot them at about 50 yds. The trick is to be still and quiet.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    There are quiet a few coyotes around here. You just have to find them. As others said, they are skittish and good at keeping out of sight for the most part. I have personally seen packs of 4-6 of them at a time where I work in Harford County. A guy I know hunts them, but not regularly. Mainly for control around his farm. Says they don't respond well to calls and are usually targets of opportunity.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I did not know MD had yotes now. I left MD in 2007 and there were none. In TX they come in fast & hard. I usually see one within 10 minutes. Sometimes they hang up at 100 to 150 yrs but I usually shoot them at about 50 yds. The trick is to be still and quiet.

They have been here for a very long time. Well before 2007, at least in Harford County.

SavageShooter

Jan 10, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    They are here in MD and have been for a good while. Very elusive and smart. I hunt coyotes and fox. Hear them on a regular basis up in SW Garrett Co at my hunting camp trailer. They are in every county in MD people just do not realize it. Just two weeks ago on private farm land fields we were thinning out the ground hogs by long distance shooting. This was just above the MD line in PA, Felton, York Co. Around 10:00 am a coyote came out running across the field full speed about 200 yds. away. They usually don't put themselves out in the open during the daylight hours. I shot but missed he had the afterburner on. I know I educated him. Well maybe next week when we go again!

leomort

Jul 31, 2020
    Wow, thank you all for the replies. It's unfortunate that the coyotes are so educated and difficult to call/hunt. Didn't know fox were also available. Never did predator hunting nor ground hog hunting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom