Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Rimfire
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old May 18th, 2020, 08:38 AM #1

Buy it now price for .22

What price point do you feel compelled to buy .22 ammo? For me it's around .4/round. I don't need any, but when I see it under .5/round I usually pick some up. I think it's a left over reaction from the 2013 shortage and not wanting to be caught short again. I don't hoard anything else (including toilet paper) but for some reason I keep way more .22 than I will probably ever use.

Last edited by joppaj; May 19th, 2020 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Fixed your title for you
NeutronBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2020, 08:44 AM #2
Lazy bum

Lazy bum

I only ever bulk buy 22 when I intend to shoot it. 223 is what I jump on if it's about 5 or 6 cents bellow market value. With that in mind, I don't think penny pinching on 22 will get you anywhere, it'll probably cost you more money to sit there and think about it then it would to just go buy it...

Unless you plan on reselling it.
Assault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2020, 08:54 AM #3
Extinguished member

Extinguished member

...or using it for barter...you know, on that rainy day some folks think will be coming sooner than later.

The more folks I meet, the more I like my dogs.

Those who would give up their freedom for security will end up with neither...
Alea Jacta Est is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2020, 09:24 AM #4
Certified Mad Scientist

Certified Mad Scientist

4 cents is a good price. I tend to buy when I see it a reasonable price. I shoot .22 more than anything else for target practice/recreation and after the Sandyhook drought, I will never let my reserve run low again. I realize that the tap can get turned off at any moment, and who knows how long the next one might last.
Doctor_M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2020, 09:52 AM #5

If you're looking for inexpensive insurance that you can shoot SOMETHING, even in the worst of times? Be it for portability, for shooting or hunting, or for bartering, or even to provide perhaps "just enough" defensive capability, until you can perhaps get your hands on something you may deem better once the situation is defined? Hard to beat .22LR.

Not terribly expensive even now to keep a good stock on hand. I was paying 3.4 cents per round for Aguila Super Extra HV copper for the last year or so before the pandemic. Love the ammo as it surprised me with its performance. Loved it even more so at that price.
Uncle Duke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2020, 10:00 PM #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Duke View Post
If you're looking for inexpensive insurance that you can shoot SOMETHING, even in the worst of times? Be it for portability, for shooting or hunting, or for bartering, or even to provide perhaps "just enough" defensive capability, until you can perhaps get your hands on something you may deem better once the situation is defined? Hard to beat .22LR.

Not terribly expensive even now to keep a good stock on hand. I was paying 3.4 cents per round for Aguila Super Extra HV copper for the last year or so before the pandemic. Love the ammo as it surprised me with its performance. Loved it even more so at that price.
I picked up 2000 rounds of Aguila at Basspro for 4cpr. Why more people are not shooting this, I'll never know
Eley club is also a deal at 7cpr when it's on sale
dontpanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2020, 07:51 AM #7
HVAC Expert

HVAC Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontpanic View Post
I picked up 2000 rounds of Aguila at Basspro for 4cpr. Why more people are not shooting this, I'll never know
Eley club is also a deal at 7cpr when it's on sale
I bought some to try and the first 4 of my .22's I tried it in couldn't cycle it and I was ready to throw it out. Some guns wouldn't reliably chamber it after the first round and others couldn't eject it. Then one day I tried it in another .22 and it redeemed itself. In the last .22 it not only cycled reliably, but shot all most as accurately as Eley. I have never used ammo that worked so poorly in multiple guns and flawlessly with high accuracy in one particular gun.

My take on Aguilla is its DEFINTELY worth trying, but don't be surprised either way.

ETA: see my correction below, it wasn't Aguila that sucked it was ARMSCOR

Thus, the only inquiry that this Court should conduct is to determine whether the firearms prohibited by the Act are protected by the Second Amendment. Because they are, the Act is simply unconstitutional.

Last edited by Mark75H; May 19th, 2020 at 05:57 PM.
Mark75H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2020, 09:20 AM #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
I bought some to try and the first 4 of my .22's I tried it in couldn't cycle it and I was ready to throw it out. Some guns wouldn't reliably chamber it after the first round and others couldn't eject it. Then one day I tried it in another .22 and it redeemed itself. In the last .22 it not only cycled reliably, but shot all most as accurately as Eley. I have never used ammo that worked so poorly in multiple guns and flawlessly with high accuracy in one particular gun.

My take on Aguilla is its DEFINTELY worth trying, but don't be surprised either way.
Curious with your mention above if you were shooting the standard velocity lead bullet, or the high velocity copper plated? Aguilla (for some unknown reason) calls both the standard and the high speed varieties "Super Extra". That seems to me only to complicate matters.
Uncle Duke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2020, 09:51 AM #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post

Interesting, it works great in all my semi autos except my AR-7. Nothing works in that gun, it is a complete POS.
dontpanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2020, 10:47 AM #10

.04 is usually my threshold price. I love CCI but have been buying Aguila lately and other than one pistol, it has been great in my other firearms.

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Rimfire