• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    If there’s nothing nefarious, there’s no problem discussing it in an open forum. See my above post. And then stay silent. You clearly have nothing constructive to add.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

:popcorn:

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I’m in a similar situation. Looking to buy a Sig M18 and got “back in stock” email from Midway. Went to get it and they won’t send to Maryland! Ni5 sure what to do at this point! Any advice?

Find a dealer in PA and have them order the mags for you.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    If there’s nothing nefarious, there’s no problem discussing it in an open forum. See my above post. And then stay silent. You clearly have nothing constructive to add.

I apologize if this offended you. Taking this offline and sending you a PM

roadking

Mar 11, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    I apologize if this offended you. Taking this offline and sending you a PM

No worries. And no hurt feelings. Just wanted to have an open discussion on how to get a legal gun with legally blocked mags, given the busyness of many LGS’ in today’s world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    First off, I know: support your LGS. Unfortunately, most of them are out of inventory, so we are left to purchase off the internet. That being the case, can you guys recommend an FFL that will do pinning/blocking of magazines? I'm looking to get a Springfield Hellcat and they only come with 11 and 13 mags. I'd rather not pay full price for a gun and have the FFL confiscate the mags and give me the gun with no mags (some do this). I want an FFL that will pin them, block them, disassemble them, or do whatever is needed to allow me to get the gun and the mags legally transferred to me. So I'm looking for recommendations on FFL's that will do this, preferably without extracting a ridiculous transfer fee. I'd be happy to buy the gun through the FFL/LGS, but as said, no one seems to have inventory. So I have to go the interwebs route. Any construction suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Have you tried contacting a few local FFL’s and see if they can order it for you? And ask them what their mag policy is? That would seem to be the easiest.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Don't forget - sometimes there is a separate part number (or SKU) for the same gun supplied with ten round magazines. It's easier to order that one and get extra mags later.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    No worries. And no hurt feelings. Just wanted to have an open discussion on how to get a legal gun with legally blocked mags, given the busyness of many LGS’ in today’s world.

I think the reason why all the "the first rule of.." stuff comes in is because doing this, while 100% within state and federal law, is totally up to the discretion of the FFL. I've had two different experiences with the same FFL on this exact thing, so while some may have a consistent policy, seems as though they only do it as they feel comfortable doing so.

All we need is some crazy Mom group or liberal naysayyers to start calling something a loophole and we can begin to kiss it goodbye.

Just my 0.02.

MigraineMan

Ultimate Member
    Jun 9, 2011
    Frederick County
    All we need is some crazy Mom group or liberal naysayyers to start calling something a loophole and we can begin to kiss it goodbye.
    There's the rub - there's always another "loophole." We've been through the concessions of licensing, fingerprinting, N-day waits, lists of "restricted" things that require additional onerous oversight to acquire ... it's Death By A Thousand Cuts.
    loop·hole
    /ˈlo͞opˌ(h)ōl/

noun
    1. perfectly law-abiding behavior that is frowned-upon by control-freaks and penny-ante-tyrants who desperately wish The Law meant something other than what it clearly states.

roadking

Mar 11, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    Have you tried contacting a few local FFL’s and see if they can order it for you? And ask them what their mag policy is? That would seem to be the easiest.

I have, without success. That’s why I’m asking here.

roadking

Mar 11, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    Don't forget - sometimes there is a separate part number (or SKU) for the same gun supplied with ten round magazines. It's easier to order that one and get extra mags later.

True. In this case, it’s a firearm that does not come with 10 round mags. Makes it interesting how it got on the Md roster, but ... shhhh, I’m not saying anything.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    True. In this case, it’s a firearm that does not come with 10 round mags. Makes it interesting how it got on the Md roster, but ... shhhh, I’m not saying anything.

Roster has nothing to do with mag capacity

IX-3

Aug 21, 2018
    Eastern Shore, MD

Magazine capacity doesn’t play a role in whether a gun gets approved for the roster or not. Look at all of the AK and AR pistols that are on the roster.

The law is 10 rounds or less so if it’s on the roster the FFL can either sell a model with 10 round magazines, pinned magazines, or no magazines.

If they don’t have an model with 10 round magazines and you can’t find an FFL willing to pin you’re probably going to have to suck it up and either have it transferred with no magazines or not get it unfortunately. It sucks especially if it happens to be a brand whose magazines are already high priced like Sig and HK. Though they at least offer 10 round models of all their guns.

What gun are you looking for?

Depending on where you’re located, if you’re willing to drive, and they have it/can order it you could try DK Firearms in Virginia. I believe, best to double check, they will ship the gun to your FFL and you can drive to Virginia to pick up the magazines.

roadking

Mar 11, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    So the gun is the Hellcat. Only comes with 11 and 13 round mags. So, obviously, someone has to block them to allow me to buy/transfer the gun. Given the state of the gun market inventory, these were rare in my LGS. And given the state of things with COVID-19, I’m not interested in visiting a lot of unknown (to me) shops in person. That left on line shopping.

I contacted many sellers on line - most appeared to be dealers, not private sellers. But even so, none wanted to bother with blocking the mags. That left it to a local FFL/LGS. And that’s where this thread started - me asking for recommendations on what FFL’s would do this service on a transfer. I got a couple suggestions above - and for those, I thank you!

As it turns out, I checked in with my LGS and they had received one the prior day. Because I’m buying it from them they will take care of the mags for me (this was the original plan but there was no stock anywhere). So I ran over with my 77R and filled out the paperwork. I should be “not disallowed” by Friday of this week.

treefroggy

Aug 5, 2007
    Standard Mags

Go to a gun show . Chantilly , if they ever open again . Buy the gun , have them give you the mags and have them ship the gun only to your FFL . Guns at VA shows are quite a bit less than in MD , even after you've had them ship it to your FFL and your FFL charges you an uplift . Any difference is still less than buying 2 standard cap mags out of Md .

jeff g

BANNED!!!
    Jul 7, 2020
    I read the capacity law for Maryland and it say's that it is OK to have above 10 rounds in a detachable Magazine if: you bought it prior to the ban, OR you transport it into the state.

Hazmat279

Oct 10, 2018
    Engage armament will also do that for firearms purchased through them unless the model you buy comes with limited cap mags from the manufacturer. They put in a block for my ppq mags but for something like a glock youll end up with factory limited mags. They may also exhange for a limited mag if they have one on hand rather than take it from you if they can help it.

Have had pretty good shopping experiences with engage getting firearms into compliance with md law

roadking

Mar 11, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    Go to a gun show . Chantilly , if they ever open again . Buy the gun , have them give you the mags and have them ship the gun only to your FFL . Guns at VA shows are quite a bit less than in MD , even after you've had them ship it to your FFL and your FFL charges you an uplift . Any difference is still less than buying 2 standard cap mags out of Md .

That’s an interesting approach. Hadn’t thought about that angle. If the prices really are lower so that you don’t take a bath on the transfer fees, that would be a good way to handle it. If this virus ever goes away...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom