• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I bought a U-Bolt style bike lock (Abus) recently. Before I bought it I used my Google Fu to check how easy they are to pick, cut, break, etc. and hit the YouTube channel of lockpickinglawyer.

After watching a bunch of his videos, I am convinced that a simple lock picking set (bought or home-made) should be part of any bug out bag.

Funny. I have a set of shims I keep in my wallet. Was out a few weeks ago and a friend had one of those small first sentry/alert/whatever firebox "safe" things with some passports and documents she needed inside and lost the key.
    Took me like 1 minute to open that lock. Those things are fairly easy but I was a bad ass and saved the day. lol

ITS tactical has the best lock pick sets I have found.
    57c13ec6a9aab3bc1bad881ffa3f57fd.jpg

shadow116

2nd Class Citizen
    Feb 28, 2008
    Emmitsburg
    ITS tactical has the best lock pick sets I have found.

ITS has some good picks, IMO they are a little pricey for what they are. Bogota rakes are a decent set to have.

Otherwise a small HPC Spring Steel or SouthOrd Stainless set with 5-7 picks and 3-4 tension wrenchs can be had for $20-25 bucks all over the internet.

THE FIRST RULE OF PICKING: Only practice on a "practice lock". Never practice on a lock that is in use or needed, like your house door. Picking can break or ruin a lock's internals. Buy a spare lock cylinder or padlock to play with.

jimboman2000

Jan 9, 2014
    Cecil!
    ITS has some good picks, IMO they are a little pricey for what they are. Bogota rakes are a decent set to have.

Otherwise a small HPC Spring Steel or SouthOrd Stainless set with 5-7 picks and 3-4 tension wrenchs can be had for $20-25 bucks all over the internet.

THE FIRST RULE OF PICKING: Only practice on a "practice lock". Never practice on a lock that is in use or needed, like your house door. Picking can break or ruin a lock's internals. Buy a spare lock cylinder or padlock to play with.

something like this?

https://www.lockpickworld.com/products/southord-14-piece-lock-pick-set-stainless-steel-handles

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    Just bought two 25lb containers of honey.

OK so this post reminded me that I am in dire need of bulk honey to make some meads with. Dutch Gold Honey in Lancaster sells bulk honey in 60-lb. pails for what amounts to a couple bucks per pound, depending on the variety. I'll be buying several pails of a couple different honeys. From my past experiences with them, they are not fond of walk-ins buying bulk honey, so I will call them first to see how they're handling on-site purchases...shipping is really expensive, and they're only 1:15 drive from here.

If anyone else wants to get some bulk pails of honey, I am willing to be a mule. I'm thinking this will happen some time in the next week or two.

kaliroger

Jul 20, 2018
    Frederick County, MD
    OK so this post reminded me that I am in dire need of bulk honey to make some meads with. Dutch Gold Honey in Lancaster sells bulk honey in 60-lb. pails for what amounts to a couple bucks per pound, depending on the variety. I'll be buying several pails of a couple different honeys. From my past experiences with them, they are not fond of walk-ins buying bulk honey, so I will call them first to see how they're handling on-site purchases...shipping is really expensive, and they're only 1:15 drive from here.

If anyone else wants to get some bulk pails of honey, I am willing to be a mule. I'm thinking this will happen some time in the next week or two.

THANKS FOR SHARING!!!!
    Definitely worth the trip

j26sub

May 8, 2018
    100 #s parboiled rice, 100 #s beans,50 #s quick Rolled Oats. 6 cylinders of salt, some sugar, honey, and maple syrup. 10 buckets with mylar bags with 4000cc in each. Salt, sugar, honey,and syrup just in original pa kage in ziplocks. Shitty bucket lids but I duct taped them. I figured expensive lids were overkill with mylar for the rice beans and oats. Any constructive criticism? Always open to learning from the mds brain trust. btw. All mylar double sealed. Clothes iron about 3 in. On .5 in piece of wood and sealed again on the last 3ish inches with a hair straightener. Will get morebucketsfor more sugar and salt and a good sealed bucket for my pool shock. Wish I could find more bullets though :-)

Attachments

• Attach1037_20200815_210618.jpg
      Attach1037_20200815_210618.jpg
      51 KB · Views: 250

j26sub

May 8, 2018
    Thermal cooker on top to save fuel to cook beans and rice. Still need to make/buy a rocket stove. Thinking about buying a ecozoom versa rocket stove. Any recommendations?

shadow116

2nd Class Citizen
    Feb 28, 2008
    Emmitsburg

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    I finally broke down and ordered a 4 week emergency food supply from my patriot supply. I figured that if it lasts 25 years there is bound to be some other issue and it will help my family’s mental state knowing that we can hold up or bug our with what is essentially enough MREs to get away from here.

Also decided to order two sawyer water purifiers. After a full day hike in Maine a few weeks back where I ran out of water, I figure this will be a useful tool to have on hand.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC

I'm in for a bucket of clover if you can sit on it for a while. I have less and less family in Manchester as the years go by so we don't get there very often anymore. I can mail you a check.

Edit: I've bought from Dutch gold before in bulk and you can't beat it. I have a pail now that's probably 4 years old. Crystallized a bit but scoop it into a mason jar and put it in hot water and you're back to normal.

Last edited:

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I grabbed a butt load of batteries. Not so much a “prep” but i have 40 million kid toys. Coleman had camp stoves as an amazing lightning deal and a grabbed one too.

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    I'm in for a bucket of clover if you can sit on it for a while. I have less and less family in Manchester as the years go by so we don't get there very often anymore. I can mail you a check.

Edit: I've bought from Dutch gold before in bulk and you can't beat it. I have a pail now that's probably 4 years old. Crystallized a bit but scoop it into a mason jar and put it in hot water and you're back to normal.

I’ll circle back with everyone who is interested, including any of my Homebrew club members who are not on MDS, in about a week, so I can gauge the overall interest and make a phone call to Dutch Gold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shadow116

2nd Class Citizen
    Feb 28, 2008
    Emmitsburg
    I grabbed a butt load of batteries. Not so much a “prep” but i have 40 million kid toys.

Cannot recommend Eneloop rechargable AA and AAA batteries enough. I bought a bunch of them 7 or 8 years ago and a couple of 8 bay chargers. Never had to buy a AA or AAA since.

Although, do not be fooled by the C and D size adapters that use the AA. They work, but only in a pinch for a short time. For D sized batteries I bought some Tenergy D and use them for my MAGlites.

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    I was in the grocery store this morning and that had a pallet of Goya Black Beans so I grabbed 2 flats , Two birds with one stone , Showed Goya some love and added to the pantry

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Wife got a great deal on a bunch of shelves off Facebook. Got our prep chit more organized. Enjoy looking at my chicken

Attachments

• 978AF7E8-2173-4720-B95A-C5CC102D67EB.jpg
      978AF7E8-2173-4720-B95A-C5CC102D67EB.jpg
      47.2 KB · Views: 304

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads