• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    Mannnn , I want one I shall have one I am dreaming about one . Never reloaded but Dillon seems to be the brand to get and now after reading all the post it has only cemented my decision. A lot of money though , thinking at least 12/ 13 hundred to start pulling a handle. That’s everything. Would go with square b but I want the option to do rifle because I know me once i dart.

Lol keep going , especially if you want to do more than 1 caliber. The amount of money my old man has invested into all the shit he needs to reload is insane.

454shooter

LARGE Caliber
    Jun 20, 2020
    Harford County
    I have been using a Dillon RL550 for close to 30 years. I updated it to 550C specs for not a ton of money, have a couple of powder dispensers and many tool heads set up with dies. Hard to beat the 550 for versatility and ease of use. You can use it single stage, or produce a respectable round count for pistol loads if you have supplies pre positioned.

The best thing to me about Dillon is the excellent customer support.

A friend recently long term loaned me his XL750 instead of putting it into storage. Holy Shiznit, that thing is leaps and bounds better than my Lee ABLP progressive.
    The price tag has always kept me away, but after using one for a few thousand rounds, I'm considering switching to "Team Blue", and I am barely half way to a six figure income. Yes, they are that good.

Trigger Time

Amazed
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 23, 2013
    A friend recently long term loaned me his XL750 instead of putting it into storage. Holy Shiznit, that thing is leaps and bounds better than my Lee ABLP progressive.
    The price tag has always kept me away, but after using one for a few thousand rounds, I'm considering switching to "Team Blue", and I am barely half way to a six figure income. Yes, they are that good.
    You've been bitten, you can never go back.
    The good thing is they work just as well with all of your Lee dies, I actually like using the Lee Auto Drum powder drop with my 550C over the Dillon. I think it's easier to use and adjust.

Last edited:

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I warned you...

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    You've been bitten, you can never go back.
    The good thing is they work just as well with all of your Lee dies, I actually like using the Lee Auto Drum powder drop with my 550C over the Dillon. I think it's easier to use and adjust.

I use a Lee Auto Disc powder measure with my 550B. I modified it from spring to chain return. Love it.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I personally think the 650/750 is the cheapest progressive worth buying. I know there are guys who like their Lees or whatever, but the Dillon is so problem-free that I think it's worth the extra money.

I've used the Lee powder measures on my Mark7 Evo with no issues - you'll probably need the riser, but that's true on any progressive (and even most turrets). The reality is that volume-based, case-activated measures are going to have certain levels of slop with the drop weight depending on your powder, and there's no real way to avoid that. Simply use a fine powder that meters well and you'll probably be OK. Remember that +- .2 on a 20gr drop is still only +- 1%. It's not a big deal for most applications.

I personally think the 650/750 is the cheapest progressive worth buying. I know there are guys who like their Lees or whatever, but the Dillon is so problem-free that I think it's worth the extra money.

I've used the Lee powder measures on my Mark7 Evo with no issues - you'll probably need the riser, but that's true on any progressive (and even most turrets). The reality is that volume-based, case-activated measures are going to have certain levels of slop with the drop weight depending on your powder, and there's no real way to avoid that. Simply use a fine powder that meters well and you'll probably be OK. Remember that +- .2 on a 20gr drop is still only +- 1%. It's not a big deal for most applications.
    I now agree with you "Dillon Guys" on this.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I now agree with you "Dillon Guys" on this.
    How dare you lump me in with those poors, I'm a Mark7 guy now! :D

But, yeah, it took some suffering with a Loadmaster first for me to really understand just how much better the Dillon solution is. Return stroke priming is meh, but at least it works reliably and even gives you a chance to not crush the primer if you hit a too-crimped case.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    When I first considered a progressive there was the Green Machine by RCBS and the then new Lee first first progressive, 3station job. Then I saw an advertisement for what was the 450B Dillon. When I looked at the engineering in the presses the Dillon had it hands down. I had to save longer to get it but I have never looked back.

I have since, years back really, upgraded with a 550B frame kit. Even more icing on the cake. Now adays, starting out the 550 would be a no brainer for starting out but the 750 would get the long look.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    When I first considered a progressive there was the Green Machine by RCBS and the then new Lee first first progressive, 3station job. Then I saw an advertisement for what was the 450B Dillon. When I looked at the engineering in the presses the Dillon had it hands down. I had to save longer to get it but I have never looked back.

I have since, years back really, upgraded with a 550B frame kit. Even more icing on the cake. Now adays, starting out the 550 would be a no brainer for starting out but the 750 would get the long look.
    The main argument against the 550 is that it's simply not as fast as a 750 with a bullet feeder for pistol stuff, and it's a little easier to double charge if you brain-fart. It's not a bad buy for rifle, though, especially if you're more precision-oriented.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    What is the current wait time on any 550 or 650/750?

I‘ve owned one 550 for decades and was looking for a second a year and a half ago but, stories about interminable wait lists pushed me to perusing For Sale ads in my area and I have since let a 550 slip by (drive time and we had house guests) but snagged a Square Deal (seller willing to ship).

No doubt about it, Dillon was a game changer for the shooting world. And then there are the catalog ladies!

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    The main argument against the 550 is that it's simply not as fast as a 750 with a bullet feeder for pistol stuff, and it's a little easier to double charge if you brain-fart. It's not a bad buy for rifle, though, especially if you're more precision-oriented.
    I don't doubt that. I've had my Dillon for at least 38 years. I was actually commenting on Dillon's integrity. Their no BS Lifetime warranty is real also.

I can net 500-525 rounds an hour on a good day, for a span of about two to two and a half hours. 450 an hour is a breeze. When I get a rhythm going my cyclic rate is about 600 rounds an hour. But replentishing primers, bullets and powder takes output down.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    I have a 650 and I also have the primer tube feeder. I’ve hit 1k an hour a couple times but 800 to 900 is cake. I had a Lee progressive and it was ok when I wasn’t shooting much but when my son and I shot cowboy I had to up production , a lot! Now I barely ever load but that press paid for it self many times over. I also picked up the RCBS progressive shot shell loader and it to has been very good.

ryu.sutakusu

Apr 4, 2014
    I was fortunate and picked up a dillon prepandemic. I still haven't set it up yet, but cant wait to start reloading!

FN509Fan

Ultimate Member
    I was fortunate and picked up a dillon prepandemic. I still haven't set it up yet, but cant wait to start reloading!
    So,... have you gotten it up yet? I never intended to reload anything but handgun loads so I got the SDB back in 1990 and never regretted it. It would be nice to have some of those feeder options, but they cost as much as my SDB did. I have been drooling over a roller handle to replace the ball, but I've recently started loading 45 Colt on a single stage (Dillon didn't have any stock) with a stupid bicycle grip on the handle so a roller handle on it may make more sense. The ball seems hokey till you have to deal with a bicycle grip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom