• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • km04

Get crackin you muggs!!!!
    Jul 12, 2010
    Harford Co.
    You will need .45 Auto dies and the consumables: bullets, powder, primers and brass. You'll also want a way to clean your brass. The Harbor Freight wet tumbler does a great job for not much $$$. I am a Lee guy myself and would be happy to give you a hand.
    Once you get familiar with the process, I would upgrade to a Lee classic turret press, as your current press will be pretty time consuming. I am a BIG proponent of learning on a single stage because you're only focusing on one thing at a time.

I would upgrade to a Lee classic turret press, as your current press will be pretty time consuming.

This is so true and very helpful information.

I am a BIG proponent of learning on a single stage because you're only focusing on one thing at a time.

Also very true. Learning on a single stage forces you to pay attention to everything you are doing. It sets the tone for when you switch over to a turret press, you have learned the basics and haven't learned too many(if any) bad habits yet.

Dalebert

Apr 15, 2020
    Baltimore County
    Agreements

Definitely agree with starting on a single stage... and even if/when you upgrade there's always a use for it. Mine still has a spot on the bench and I'm planning a track layout so i can switch things out easily and use whatever tool i

Harbor freight tumbler is also a great way to start...in fact...does anyone want mine? Its a bit worn from being run unleveled, but when i packed it all back in the box everything was working. Free to a good home! I have the big Frankford Arsenal tumbler now.

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Damascus
    I'm looking for someone to give me some advice on purchasing my first reloading kit. I have a 50% off certificate for Redding Reloading from a recent match.

I'm looking at the Big Boss II kit to get me started. I know I want to start with a single stage.https://www.redding-reloading.com/online-catalog/155-big-boss-ii-pro-pak

I'm able to add additional items from their catalog for my initial order with the 50% discount. But I'm not sure what else I should pick up. I have looked at the Single Stage Reloading Startup Items pinned thread, but there are multiple choices for each of the required listed items.

Example powder measure https://www.redding-reloading.com/online-catalog/209-competition-pr-50-powder-measure

My plan is to reload 6.5 Creedmoor and maybe .223 for PRS style competitions next year. I have been shooting factory ammo and have buckets of brass waiting to be reloaded.

So does anyone with experience with Redding want to help spend my money and get set up? I know my biggest issue will be finding power and primers, but I have to start somewhere.

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    I don't have any experience with kits. It has been my experience that most of reloading is brass prep. Straight wall pistol requires the least prep, IMO. For that reason, .45 ACP, .38 Spl, and .357 Mag, are my suggested starter calibers. Another thing I have chosen is to do as much brass prep as possible away from the bench. Regardless whether the brass comes home from unknown sources picked up at the range, picking up your own once fired, or purchasing brand new Starline, my first step is to sort by caliber and inspect. No point putting time in on nicked, cracked, bulged, not worth reloading (certain headstamps) Berdan primed, etc... I deprime with a Harvey deprimer while I sort and inspect. Most of the time I do this while sitting on my front porch or back patio. This can also easily be done while camping or just about anywhere you can sit down and enjoy some nice weather.

After this first step, I tumble the brass by caliber in lizard bedding. Anywhere from eight to twenty four hours (sometimes I forget the tumbler is running) gets the brass clean. Pistol brass gets sized and if it is 9mm on its first reload with me, it gets swaged. After that, I normally use an RCBS or Lee hand primer, again as far away from my bench in the nicest setting I can find. Rifle brass is lubed with my home made 10 to 1 91% alcohol pure lanolin lube, then sized. I have a Giraud trimmer and a Dillon super swager, and trim/swage in batches. After trimming, the cases are tumbled again for an hour or so to take the lube off. The sized, trimmed, swaged brass is then normally hand primed and I choose to store most of my brass prepped and primed.

I have Lee and RCBS single stage presses and use both for working up load recipes or small, one off batches, but when I need some quantity, I use my Dillon 550. The priming system on the 550 is pretty good compared to the other press priming systems I've used. One of the best mounts for presses IMO is from inlinefabrication.com Their quick change press mounting system and their LED press lighting systems are very nice improvements to any bench. All of my pistol calibers use Lee pro auto disk measures because for the price, once I've figured out which disk works for a given powder recipe, I can leave the measure on the 550 tool head. For rifle calibers I use a Dillon powder measure with a 3D printed adjustment knob to get the powder weight I want. For precision or one off, I have a Lyman 55 to throw charges close to what I want and then trickle up to final weight. Loading prepped and primed brass goes pretty quickly on just about any press.

Suggestions for newer reloaders: get a good quality set of calipers and a nice scale (my preference is digital). Figure out what you want out of your reloads, quality and quantity plinking ammunition vs small runs of precision ammunition. Find a process and equipment that helps you achieve the type of ammunition you want. Consistency is my primary focus when reloading. Like so many things, if your head isn't focused, it is probably not a good day to be reloading. If you aren't enjoying making ammunition, you probably won't make much ammunition and the rounds you make will probably be disappointing.

In some ways, I enjoy reloading as much as I like shooting. They are both hobbies that compliment each other.

Be safe.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I'm looking for someone to give me some advice on purchasing my first reloading kit. I have a 50% off certificate for Redding Reloading from a recent match.

I'm looking at the Big Boss II kit to get me started. I know I want to start with a single stage.https://www.redding-reloading.com/online-catalog/155-big-boss-ii-pro-pak

I'm able to add additional items from their catalog for my initial order with the 50% discount. But I'm not sure what else I should pick up. I have looked at the Single Stage Reloading Startup Items pinned thread, but there are multiple choices for each of the required listed items.

Example powder measure https://www.redding-reloading.com/online-catalog/209-competition-pr-50-powder-measure

My plan is to reload 6.5 Creedmoor and maybe .223 for PRS style competitions next year. I have been shooting factory ammo and have buckets of brass waiting to be reloaded.

So does anyone with experience with Redding want to help spend my money and get set up? I know my biggest issue will be finding power and primers, but I have to start somewhere.
    You will obviously need dies and since you are planning on starting with bottleneck cases, you will need a case trimmer.
    Buy case gauges for each caliber you plan to load.
    You will need some sort of brass tumbler to clean the brass.
    Digital calipers to measure brass and COAL of finished rounds.
    Also, if the kit doesn't come with a primer seater, you'll need one.(I have a Lee auto-primer I'd be glad to let you have free).

(to be continued...)

RetiredArmyGuy

Jan 16, 2018
    Pasadena, MD

If I was going to do it all again I would have started with -

If you are going to go with Redding for a reloading press (which is a good plan) I would really look at their T-7 Turret press with an extra head so you can set up your 6.5CM and 223 REM dies in each one and forget about it. I would also get the Versa Pack Kit which will include pretty much everything else you need to start reloading other than dies. For dies which you are using for match loading I would look at getting Redding match dies with bushings to adjust neck tension. I use an expander die instead of the expander that comes with any sizing die and a universal decapping die. I have found that you get better repeatable neck tension this way and decapping before sizing reduces runout. This of course is my opinion and there are lots of other ways to do things in the reloading world.

In the future I would also look at getting a RCBS chargemaster lite for weighing powder charges. Area 419 has a very nice powder funnel, a little pricey but worth it. Frankfort Arsenal Platinum
    Series Hand Primer. These items I wish I had purchased from the start and now own except I run two chargemasters instead of a chargemaster lite.

Hopefully this helped and didnt lead to utter confusion. If you have any questions let me know.

craftsman_69

MDS Supporter
    Jul 26, 2015
    AA
    DaemonAssassin - Frederick County
    Vision - Harford County
    enya60h - Anne Arundel County
    Pinecone - Harford County
    armed ferret - Mortimer Q. Finklebottom III, AKA Professor Horseyhead. Pasadena/GB. Rifle. - banned
    chrisflhtc - Washington County
    Stu929 - Washington County
    Navyblue - South Calvert
    lmorrison17 - Cecil County
    Streetgang - St Mary's near PAX
    hodgepodge - AA County
    DougS - Howard County
    Sticky - AA Co
    Wheaton Hills Sportsman- Montgomery County
    Topher - Chris Schneider - NRA Instructor - Frederick - Certified Metallic Reloading Class -Has IP status - allowed to advertise.
    Srama1080 - Harford County
    jjones88 - Carroll County
    Spur - Harford County
    Drive_accord_ingly - Montgomery County
    quickdraw17 - Frederick County
    BatangBinan - Baltimore County
    GunnerGunz - Frederick County
    Seabee/Ken - Anne Arundel County
    Ponch - Odenton
    MADad - Charles County
    MG in MD - Linthicum
    pcfixer - Frederick County
    Doco Overboard-Dorchester County
    deerassassin22-Pasadena
    temccoy-Rockville
    craftsman_69-Severn

RetiredArmyGuy

Jan 16, 2018
    Pasadena, MD
    Vision - Harford County
    armed ferret - Mortimer Q. Finklebottom III, AKA Professor Horseyhead. Pasadena/GB. Rifle. - banned
    Navyblue - South Calvert
    hodgepodge - AA County
    DougS - Howard County
    Sticky - AA Co
    Topher - Chris Schneider - NRA Instructor - Frederick - Certified Metallic Reloading Class -Has IP status - allowed to advertise.
    Spur - Harford County
    Ponch - Odenton
    MADad - Charles County
    MG in MD - Linthicum
    deerassassin22-Pasadena
    temccoy-Rockville
    craftsman_69-Severn
    RetiredArmyGuy - Pasadena

chriskat

Nov 1, 2009
    Vision - Harford County
    Navyblue - South Calvert
    hodgepodge - AA County
    DougS - Howard County
    Sticky - AA Co
    Spur - Harford County
    Ponch - Odenton
    MADad - Charles County
    MG in MD - Linthicum
    deerassassin22-Pasadena
    temccoy-Rockville
    craftsman_69-Severn
    chriskat - Wicomico County

Maryland_Pinz

Aug 9, 2010
    BRAND spanking new to reloading in Frederick...

Vision - Harford County
    Navyblue - South Calvert
    hodgepodge - AA County
    DougS - Howard County
    Sticky - AA Co
    Spur - Harford County
    Ponch - Odenton
    MADad - Charles County
    MG in MD - Linthicum
    deerassassin22-Pasadena
    temccoy-Rockville
    craftsman_69-Severn
    Maryland_Pinz - Frederick County (Middletown)

I have purchased pretty much everything I need (mostly Hornady stuff, single press, progressive press, etc.) years ago and never set it up or did anything at all with it. I finally got a couple mini splits for my garage to keep the powder dry and to stay comfortable, and am looking to start a new hobby... BTW, I am BRAND NEW at this and will probably have a ton of questions. I have stuff for pistol and rifle, various popular calibers, but some less common stuff as well, like Tokarev 7.62 x 25 stuff.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Vision - Harford County
    Navyblue - South Calvert
    hodgepodge - AA County
    DougS - Howard County
    Sticky - AA Co
    Spur - Harford County
    Ponch - Odenton
    MADad - Charles County
    MG in MD - Linthicum
    deerassassin22-Pasadena
    temccoy-Rockville
    craftsman_69-Severn
    GuitarmanNick - Laurel

Please copy and paste current list, then add your name.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

I have purchased pretty much everything I need (mostly Hornady stuff, single press, progressive press, etc.) years ago and never set it up or did anything at all with it. I finally got a couple mini splits for my garage to keep the powder dry and to stay comfortable, and am looking to start a new hobby... BTW, I am BRAND NEW at this and will probably have a ton of questions. I have stuff for pistol and rifle, various popular calibers, but some less common stuff as well, like Tokarev 7.62 x 25 stuff.
    Drop me a pm and we'll talk. I'm also still in FredCo during the work week.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Please copy and paste current list, then add your name.

Remember, this is the list for EXPERIENCED reloaders who are willing to help new reloader get started.

It is NOT for new reloaders.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Not new to reloading and am willing to teach so I put my name and location on the list.

You are, but the person you had replied to seemed to be new.

I have purchased pretty much everything I need (mostly Hornady stuff, single press, progressive press, etc.) years ago and never set it up or did anything at all with it. I finally got a couple mini splits for my garage to keep the powder dry and to stay comfortable, and am looking to start a new hobby

So they would not be putting their name on the list.

Farmerjohn

Sep 12, 2021
    Ellicott city
    Howdy reloading peeps
    I’m 1 years into this and I have a ton of stuff willing to trade for your time and info . I have a T-7 with all my dies powders and primers . Just looking to pick up new things from people that know way more then me

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom