• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jose

Mar 25, 2021
    Hey, long time lurker driven to make an account due to attempting to interpret our strange laws.

My friend is in the military and is either a VA or AK resident (he lives in VA). In any case he is currently out of state. He is being deployed to Germany for three years in May. He, like many others, purchased a handgun last year. According to him it's too much trouble to take it with him. He wants to leave it with me until he gets back. I won't have any ammo for it and he wasn't even planning to give me the key.

At first I said sure thinking that having a locked unloaded gun sit in my closet for three years would not be a big deal. However the more I think about it the more I have a sinking feeling that he would need to actually transfer it to me through an FFL and then do the reverse when he gets back since it's A regulated and B out of state. Is that true?

Important points:
    I HAVE an HQL.
    The gun is an HK45 and the mags are 10 rounds, so no issues there.

Ravitch

Feb 28, 2021
    Cape St. Claire
    Hey, long time lurker driven to make an account due to attempting to interpret our strange laws.

My friend is in the military and is either a VA or AK resident (he lives in VA). In any case he is currently out of state. He is being deployed to Germany for three years in May. He, like many others, purchased a handgun last year. According to him it's too much trouble to take it with him. He wants to leave it with me until he gets back. I won't have any ammo for it and he wasn't even planning to give me the key.

At first I said sure thinking that having a locked unloaded gun sit in my closet for three years would not be a big deal. However the more I think about it the more I have a sinking feeling that he would need to actually transfer it to me through an FFL and then do the reverse when he gets back since it's A regulated and B out of state. Is that true?

Important points:
    I HAVE an HQL.

I don't have an answer for the legality part of the question, but from the military side of the house I can tell you that your friend can put it in long term storage and have the military pay for it if he wanted to pursue that option.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    I wouldn't worry about it. Unless you're into knocking over 7/11s I'm sure it will be in safe hands. Gun laws are for keeping guns out of the hands of bad guys. But I would feel better if you had a safe.

It reminds me of the king who is going on a long trip and he gives the key to his wife's chastity belt to his best friend and advisor. As the king was preparing to leave (via ship), he hears shouts and hoots and he sees his friend racing towards him as quickly as he could, the key be had given him held high over head. "Your majesty!" his friend yells breathlessly riding up to the king. "You gave me wrong key!"

I have a S&W 686-6 with a lock. Can't tell you where the keys are as they're in a land fill somewhere.

Here's the 686-no dash. Never have fired it.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I wouldn't worry about it. Unless you're into knocking over 7/11s I'm sure it will be in safe hands. Gun laws are for keeping guns out of the hands of bad guys. But I would feel better if you had a safe.

It reminds me of the king who is going on a long trip and he gives the key to his wife's chastity belt to his best friend and advisor. As the king was preparing to leave (via ship), he hears shouts and hoots and he sees his friend racing towards him as quickly as he could, the key be had given him held high over head. "Your majesty!" his friend yells breathlessly riding up to the king. "You gave me wrong key!"

I have a S&W 686-6 with a lock. Can't tell you where the keys are as they're in a land fill somewhere.

Here's the 686-no dash. Never have fired it.

^^^:lol::lol::lol::lol2::lol2::lol2:

Important points:
    I HAVE an HQL.

You have an HQL and the mags aren't >10rds. You are legal.
    (He should let you shoot it as a thank you for storing it.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom