• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    MSP has stated that mags sold with a firearm must permanently restricted to 10 rounds. Dowel rod won’t do that. They put out an advisory to FFLs I believe
    They are quite fond of pulling stuff out of their ass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MSP can advise whatever they want. They don't make law though. In general FFLs comply with advisories even if it isn't the law, because they don't need or want MSP breathing down their neck.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    MSP can advise whatever they want. They don't make law though. In general FFLs comply with advisories even if it isn't the law, because they don't need or want MSP breathing down their neck.

Agreed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leomort

Jul 31, 2020
    Is the Maryland state police or local law enforcement also restricted to 10 round capacity? I would think the law that restricts capacity would have to be written to include an exception for law enforcement.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County

Doesn't MSP issue Regulate Firearms Dealer Licenses and administratively determine compliance? An FFL who chooses to ignore MSP's opinions, no matter how tenuously those opinions are connected to statutory law, risks losing their livelihood.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Doesn't MSP issue Regulate Firearms Dealer Licenses and administratively determine compliance? An FFL who chooses to ignore MSP's opinions, no matter how tenuously those opinions are connected to statutory law, risks losing their livelihood.

Yes. This isn't simply they are hoping to avoid a state attorney general civil suit or criminal prosecution. The standard of evidence for not renewing a license is way lower and it'll be up to the dealer to sue the state to try to overturn their decision.

That is NOT a good place to be. So most FFLs are going to do whatever MSP says.

Same reason most held firearms back in 2013 when FFL's got inundated and the MSP were not completing 77r forms timely. Did the MSP exceed/violate the law? Hell yes they did. Just because they did, didn't mean an FFL might not be up a REALLY long creek filled with shit and no paddle if they ignored MSP's direction to not release the firearms to individuals and MSP decided to take exception come license renewal time.

FFLs for sure had the option to release them...or continue holding them. The law basically leaves it in the FFL's hands as to what to do if the "not disapproved" hasn't been issued by MSP. Some told MSP to take a hike, but most didn't. Sucks. Can't blame them too much putting their livelihood on the line.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    The exact verbage of the law is what I was looking for but can't find on MSP's website. So you can only give them away or is that also disallowed?

"A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 10 rounds of ammunition for a firearm."

I believe this sentence was put in quotes by the poster because it IS the verbage in the law. Now you have to have the knowledge of the definitions of the words "sell", "offer for sale", "purchase", "receive", and "transfer" are. Pretty straightforward.

csxt602

Oct 29, 2020
    Essex, MD
    For those without an address in another state, just a rent a mailbox at UPS store in VA or W. VA. Then purchase online and ship there. go pick up. enjoy! Of course, you need to ensure the UPS store will accept "gun parts". The stores are individually owned and not part of UPS so they have latitude as to what they will ship and accept which may differ from UPS policy.

The problem with this is that many online retailers won't complete the sale for certain items (like magazines) if the billing and shipping addresses don't match up. Of course, the way around that is to get a credit card with your box address as your billing address.

IronDuck

MDS Supporter
    Jan 11, 2021
    Frederick ish MD
    MAGAZINE LIMITS FOR HANDGUNS?

Does Maryland have magazine capacity restrictions for handguns?

No more than 10 rounds.

A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 10 rounds of ammunition for a firearm.

There is an exemption for .22 caliber rifles with tubular magazines and for law enforcement officers (LEOs) and retired LEOs.

[Md. Code Ann., Crim. Law § 4-305]

Chitalian Actual

MDS Supporter
    Nov 21, 2020
    Montgomery County
    Out of State Gun Shops for Magazines

Can anybody share their go-to stores for high capacity magazines in our neighboring states? More likely to go to WV or VA from my location, but I am becoming increasingly more willing to make it a day trip before things get silly...

Thanks

HRDWRK

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Jan 7, 2013
    39°43′19.92216″ N
    Can anybody share their go-to stores for high capacity magazines in our neighboring states? More likely to go to WV or VA from my location, but I am becoming increasingly more willing to make it a day trip before things get silly...

Thanks

Nice first post!
    Go to introduction section and let that be your number two post!

Try the search section next for your answers to that question and many other popular items!
    Some more favorites "which is better 9 or 40"!
    "I have a friend" (insert Maryland based law about felony possessions of firearms)

Welcome, MDS will be a fact filled and enjoyable stay!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom