• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Saberwalk

MDS Supporter
    Aug 13, 2020
    Laytonsville, MD
    Just read through this old thread and want to confirm my understanding. Waiting on Form 1 and 4 for my Evo 3 S1. In order to run it as an SBR suppressed must be 29" overall to end of barrel not suppressors or flashier and must not have a folding stock. Wondering if this would work:

AR15, M4 Buffer Tube Adapter For CZ Scorpion EVO- https://hkparts.net/product/cz-evo-ar15-m4-buffer-tube-adapter-for-cz-scorpion-evo-p17843.htm;
    Mil-Spec Buffer Tube Kit- https://hkparts.net/product/mil-spec-buffer-tube-kit-p2735.htm; and
    Minimalist Stock- https://www.opticsplanet.com/missio...alist-stock-military-for-mil-spec-size-1.html.

Appreciate any comments.

Dovk0802

Sep 20, 2017
    DC
    If it wasn't already said; I think the easy route would be to get a carbine, swap the handguard and cut the barrel to the appropriate length.

FLBoy

Dec 7, 2015
    MoCo
    If it wasn't already said; I think the easy route would be to get a carbine, swap the handguard and cut the barrel to the appropriate length.

After reading this entire thread, I would tend to agree. Has anyone gotten the carbine barrel cut down to the appropriate length? If so, which company did you use? Thanks!

FLBoy

Dec 7, 2015
    MoCo
    I have a carbine and wonder this myself.
    Hello all,
    Wondering if a) anyone knows of any carbine barrels for sale or
    b) anyone know who can make a custom length barrel or willing to cut down carbine barrel?

I tried reaching out to a couple companies but either didn’t hear back or they said they don’t.

Thanks!

Last edited:

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    "Wondering if a) anyone knows of any carbine barrels for sale or
    b) anyone know who can make a custom length barrel or willing to cut down carbine barrel?"

I haven't read all 13 pages so I'm not quite sure what is trying to be achieved. https://inleadwetrust.com sells 16.25" and 8" barrels.

Assuming you aren't proposing to make something illegal, any competent gunsmith with good machining skills ought to be able to shorten a barrel.

FLBoy

Dec 7, 2015
    MoCo
    "Wondering if a) anyone knows of any carbine barrels for sale or
    b) anyone know who can make a custom length barrel or willing to cut down carbine barrel?"

I haven't read all 13 pages so I'm not quite sure what is trying to be achieved. https://inleadwetrust.com sells 16.25" and 8" barrels.

Assuming you aren't proposing to make something illegal, any competent gunsmith with good machining skills ought to be able to shorten a barrel.

Yes, saw those and talked with inleadwetrust, but I have not been able to find a gunsmith that is able & willing to reduce a carbine length barrel to something like roughly 11” barrel that would be needed to make a scorpion sbr legal in terms of OAL in Maryland.

SigNerd

Feb 24, 2015
    Waiting on a ilwt 16.25 (they won't be ready until mid-Feb) to convert my micro to rifle length. I might do an on-paper 29" SBR, leave it as the 16 inch barrel (no requirement that I know of that an SBR has to be run as one), and have the OAL change letter ready to be sent certified to the ATF in case we end up with a "freedom week" from the courts in the AWB lawsuit and I can put the 4 inch barrel back in.

I'm surprised you can't find a gunsmith able to cut, recrown, and thread for a muzzle device. Of course the downside of cutting down an ilwt barrel is you're getting rid of the integrated tri-lug. But they're also the only ones I've seen with in stock non-micro barrels.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Were you even able to find a factory rifle bbl to cut down (assuming you could have found someone to do it?)

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD

Attachments

• CZscorpion chopped.jpg
      CZscorpion chopped.jpg
      267 KB · Views: 118

motox79

May 24, 2010
    damascus
    Does anyone know if the handguard counts toward OAL? I have a IA9SC on mine, and with an 11” handguard and stock it would make 29.5” ( the handguard would extend about 2” past the integral setup) The barrel is like 5” but ported, so not safe to shoot unless the suppressor is fully assembled. Thoughts?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Does anyone know if the handguard counts toward OAL? I have a IA9SC on mine, and with an 11” handguard and stock it would make 29.5” ( the handguard would extend about 2” past the integral setup) The barrel is like 5” but ported, so not safe to shoot unless the suppressor is fully assembled. Thoughts?
    Handguard does not count as part of OAL using the ATF's methodology, which is what MSP uses.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    Hi All

I have a question about ATF Form 1. I have a CZ Scorpion Evo3 S1 to which I added a stabilizing brace. I believe that this makes it fall under the NFA category so I am trying to take advantage of the ATF's grace period that ends at the end of this month. I am going through SilencerShop to do this and it is not clear to me if I need to attach fingerprints and Form 5320.23 etc to my Form 1 submission, because SilencerShop already has all that information for me. I do have an ATF e-file account. Any help you can give me so that I can understand the Form 1 process would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

Cal68

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    Really simple with SS. Only drawback is you’re paying $50. Your fingerprints are on file with SS so you can start application as normal

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Really simple with SS. Only drawback is you’re paying $50. Your fingerprints are on file with SS so you can start application as normal
    If you are only doing a handful it might be worth it, but the E Form 1s are not too bad once you figure out the nuances, I did 11 on a Sunday Afternoon, getting an ETF file from Live Scan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom