• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • floatingboy

Apr 19, 2014
    Lisbon, MD
    Hey all. I'm new to reloading, so I'm still calibrating my expectations. I've resized a couple of different calibers so far with no real issues (once I knew what I was looking for).

Fast forward to a lot of "once fired" 257 Weatherby mag brass I bought, a mixed lot of Norma and Weatherby. I full-length sized them with a Hornady Match die. The end results are great, it's just the getting there that sucked.

Here's what I had to do for each case:

-Coat with Redding size and die wax
    -Run it up until it felt jammed, about 3/4 of the way into the die.
    -Pop it back out (with force) and wipe the shoulder as all the wax would build up there
    -Run it back in the rest of the way to full seating in the die, still with a fair amount of force
    -Pull it out and wipe off the wax and apply a new coat of wax
    -Run it all the way up again, this time with ease, to get the shoulder back the final few thousandths.

Some were harder than others, but all were tough. Some I could get it all the way home on the first try, but most I could not. I don't have a massive press (MEC Marksman), but it's not a wimp, I don't think. And not only could I not get it fully inserted the first pass, even when I did get it to on the second pass, it would NEVER fully size the shoulder. I could even back it out and run it back in several times. Only when I would remove the case, wipe it off, add new wax and run it one last time would it finally get there. It really wanted that "remove, wipe, re-wax."

I did kind of suspect that the expander button was pulling too hard and lengthening the case a bit. Especially because only on the last time through would it go in and out with total ease. I polished it fairly well, maybe not to mirror shine, but it's not rough.

And in a surprise contrast, the new 7mm Rem Mag brass that I bought to convert to 257 resizes very easily!

Which leads me to wonder, is this an annealing thing? I tried candle annealing a couple of cases and it didn't make a lick of difference. Maybe I didn't heat them sufficiently.

Interested to hear your take. Thanks!

madmantrapper

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2009
    Carroll County
    I set my cases in about 3/4 inch of water and heat with torch til now quite red. then knock them over with torch tip in to the water. Makes them very workable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom