• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    "A modern .327 Federal Magnum revolver will also chamber a number of low bullet weight, light recoil .32 center fire calibers. The .32 H&R, .32 S&W, .32 S&W Long, and even the .32 ACP (a semi-rimmed case)* can be fired in many .327s. Still, one gun — five different cartridges — has caused this weapon to undergo a recent renaissance. Wheel gun lovers have recognized the ballistic virtue of the .327 and the trim guns that shoot it."

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    327 is a cool caliber, usually a round more capacity than 38, and more power with a choice in modern bullet designs, or lighter recoil with 32 H&R or 32ACP ammo. 38 can be a little rough in airweight revolvers, and it's nice to have something between that and rimfire, especially when it seems to have decent ballistics. It didn't catch on all that well, most people still into revolvers tend to be traditionalists, and maybe less interested in new calibers and tech.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I have had mixed results with 32acp in mine.

I like the 32 family a lot, great kit gun with lots of options from mild to wild given the rounds it will handle.

I used to always suggest a 38 or .357 but given how $$ .38 has gotten (pre panic even) I think the .327 with lighter .32's in it is worth a look now.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    .327 ammo was more expensive than .357 even before the panic. And the Ruger revolvers have all attained collector status with prices going for hundreds over MSRP. So it's a good idea, but it'll cost you.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The performance level has been known ever since Elmer Keith combined 2400 and .32-20 SAA . Not said in a bad way, rather offered as validation for the .327 .

The marketing hitch was that the ( all the way full powered factory load) .327 was TOO powerful . The non- enthusiast niche for a modern .32 revolver is predominantly " nearly the effectiveness of .38 Spl , but with less recoil ". But the full boogie .327 has More recoil than .38 +P .

.32 fans can understand the advantages of flat trajectory combined with good sectional density , but for general public the " small caliber actually Better than larger caliber " thing was too counter intuitive .

The tragic miscalculation was standardizing the .32Mag too mild . It was a new ctg, only offered in reasonably strong guns, and the SAAMI Spec could have just as easily been another 3 - 5 k psi more . Bumping .32 Mag an additional 100- 150 fps ( aka making actual real world velocities reasonably close to Advertised velocity) would have put it dab into that Sweet Spot .

No , it wouldn't have replaced the .38 spl , but the goal would have been pre- WWII market penetration . ie Before WWII , S&W and Colt each had several revolvers offered in both .38 Spl and .32-20 aka .32WCF . The sales porportions went as much as 30/ 70 split .

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    To answer the question, I really like it. As noted the round has a lot of merit. I like it better in a smaller, concealed carry gun than I do in a full size. If I'm going to carry a full size revolver, I'm probably going to take a .357.

Dovk0802

Sep 20, 2017
    DC
    I have a S&W 631 w/ 4" when I teach a new shooter to understand the difference between a pistol & revolver is I load this with .32ACP (which works fine with only an occasional extractor skip) and have them shoot it next to my Walther PP in .32ACP. They're almost identical in size, weight, barrel length, and of course shooting the same ammo.
    Besides that, I'm a .32H&R Mag fan so, I like to promote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz_m4M8CAe0

I'd really like to get my hands on a Charter Professional to see how they are quality wise now a days.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I really wanted a 631 , but alas they were discontinued before I could find one in the flesh .

Fairly high on my Bucket List is to have a Blackhawk converted to .327 .

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    Ruger needs to step up. Its revolvers are out of stock everywhere at retailers!

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Hard to tell by the specs but depending on the cyclindar size, it "may" even fit a 7.62x38 Nagant revolver round?

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    I need to buy lot of stuff before Delaware becomes like Marylandistan copycat! :mad54:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Regardless of the source , the sentiment is reasonably accurate , only exagerating the to date market success of .327 , and being optimistic about the use of .32acp . ( Sometimes , possibly most of the time, but depending up the specific chamber , and specific ammunition .)

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    Regardless of the source , the sentiment is reasonably accurate , only exagerating the to date market success of .327 , and being optimistic about the use of .32acp . ( Sometimes , possibly most of the time, but depending up the specific chamber , and specific ammunition .)

Yes...too bad that .327 ammo is expensive right now. It shouldn't be a boutique caliber.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom