• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    a few minutes ago just grabbed 5k of cci 400 srp, $250 shipped at midway. yes, long gone now. but if you have a wish list setup there you might want to refresh it frequently as they had more activity so maybe more to come.

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    a few minutes ago just grabbed 5k of cci 400 srp, $250 shipped at midway. yes, long gone now. but if you have a wish list setup there you might want to refresh it frequently as they had more activity so maybe more to come.

I second that. I actually missed out on the 400s but was able to get the 500s and the 450s through. As of now, the discord notifications are pinging me primer stock on midway. Keep on the look out people, they might still be coming.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    frankly if anyone is waiting on discord, they are most likely going to be too late. you need to incessantly ping each website/wish list one way or another. stuff is literally gone in seconds and by the time the discorders buy and then post, it's over and gone. it's insane.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    midway and powder valley have been the two most active lately btw. unfortunately pv doesn't have a wishlist so you have to scroll down and down and down.

platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    So I have the opportunity to pick up 5k wolf small rifle primers @ $100/k. Is it worth it as I’ve never used wolf before. Also I really only need 2k but have to buy 5k think I could recoup the money for the extra?

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    So I have the opportunity to pick up 5k wolf small rifle primers @ $100/k. Is it worth it as I’ve never used wolf before. Also I really only need 2k but have to buy 5k think I could recoup the money for the extra?
    $100/ that's a hard pass for me - I'll hold out for CCI, Federal, Winchester or Remington. Maybe even Sellier and Bellot. I'd also hold out for a better price. I'll do $40/1000, but not $100/1000.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    $100/ that's a hard pass for me - I'll hold out for CCI, Federal, Winchester or Remington. Maybe even Sellier and Bellot. I'd also hold out for a better price. I'll do $40/1000, but not $100/1000.

If I NEEDED them because I was literally out or down to only a tray or two, I'll be honest I'd pay $100 for 1k.

I sure as heck wouldn't buy 5000 at that price unless I knew I'd be loading and shooting that much in just a short span.

10cpp is still massively cheaper than what commercial ammo is selling for.

That said, how much longer will this last? What will availability be like if or when you do need more?

I am not a very high volume shooter or reloader. I am shooting 50-100 rounds of a caliber when I got to the range (usually taking 2-3 calibers of guns with me). So that is typically what I am reloading afterwards. Generally about every 5-6 weeks right now with the pandemic (used to be once a month and I'd like to get back to that if I can by later this summer).

But 1k primers could last me 6-8 months if I was a bit careful. Totally unrestricted, shoot as much as I want, components at sane prices I'd probably burn 1k in 3-4 months. I might not be typical.

Anyway, I could personally see even paying MORE for 1k, even 2k, just to get 1k of what I needed, than that much for 5k with the thought and hope that in 6 months to a year prices would be down and availability up.

I am not a scalper and my time is valuable to me. I wouldn't personally buy 5k speculatively that maybe I could turn around the other 3k and make $25, $50 extra off each one. Yeah, you probably would sell them. Maybe even sell them to the same guy to reduce the butt pain. Okay, if I could make $150-200 and basically cover the cost of the primers I kept I might consider it. Especially if I could sell it to one guy.

But if I end up needing to chase down 2-3 buyers, meeting up with them, possibly having someone flake on me, etc., even at $150 how much time did I invest? maybe a few hours and gas and wear and tear? Dunno.

And if it was like $60-100, hard pass. I guess as I've gotten older and more financially comfortable it is leading me to laziness in some respects, but I'd rather invest a couple of hours more in to my job, or even just taking it easy.

And easy for me to say as I have a comfortable (but not astounding) amount of primers I am pretty confident will last me till availability improves and prices come way down. I could see over paying old prices if I was up a creek and needed them. I can't see paying the extravagant price of like $200+ even even if I was up a creek. I'd just stop shooting till prices came down. I can afford my hobby, but not sure I can afford to be spending THAT much on shooting once you tally up everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom