• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • govwontletmebuycoolguns

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 3, 2010
    DPRM
    Looking for 16 CY of decorative pea gravel (multicolor...looking for the red/blue/tan type mix) delivered to Conowingo, MD in early May.

Sgt. Psycho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 1, 2009
    16 cubic yards of stone is about 22.5 tons (dry). The color of stone you describe is going to be a 3/8 inch Delaware Valley or a Delaware River stone. It is expensive. The Stone Store will deliver it, but you will pay their price per ton for the stone, sales tax, and the delivery fee for the tandem load. I can get a 6% discount off of the price per ton if I have it delivered for you as I am a Stone Store/Aggrans Contractor Pro, but the cost will still be substantial.

Sgt. Psycho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 1, 2009
    Who do you hate so much that you would Install pea-gravel in their yard ?

Its only appropriate use is for decoration, and even then it needs to be contained. That being said, if a customer wants it and can afford it, they get it. They can pay me to replace it later when they realize that I was correct about it not being applicable for a base or a walkway.

Hate? I hate everybody. Want some pea gravel?

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Its only appropriate use is for decoration, and even then it needs to be contained. That being said, if a customer wants it and can afford it, they get it. They can pay me to replace it later when they realize that I was correct about it not being applicable for a base or a walkway.

It works great, even for a driveway. That is if you are some kind of european nobleman who employs a hunched over gardener who can spend an hour every morning to pluck the pebbles out of the grass and rake the driveway back into the shape it was before you drove across it in your Jag or RangeRover.

HankR

Ultimate Member
    Jan 22, 2013
    Upper Midwest

I'm thinking of using some in a dog kennel. What's there now is 1/2 inch size. Would that or golfball size be better on the pooches feet? (The old dog was fine with half grass and half gravel, but the new guy turned it all into mud and likes to dig. Not trying to dig out, just going for underground critters as far as we can tell)

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    I just replaced the mulch around the shrubbery with pea gravel. There was an infestation of Artillery (shotgun) fungus in the mulch and my cars got blasted with the stuff. I suspect it came from an old tree stump under the mulch because I only use Scott's bagged mulch and that should not contain the fungus. It was a lot of work to replace the mulch. Had to take out all of the old mulch, add steel edging, cover with filter cloth and spread 2" of pea gravel over that. Hopefully that will take care of the Shotgun fungus. Nasty stuff.

Sgt. Psycho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 1, 2009
    It works great, even for a driveway. That is if you are some kind of european nobleman who employs a hunched over gardener who can spend an hour every morning to pluck the pebbles out of the grass and rake the driveway back into the shape it was before you drove across it in your Jag or RangeRover.

Exactly. Using rounded gravel for a driving or walking surface is kind of like driving or walking on a bed of marbles.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Sorry to hijack, but what's the best stone for a patio. I'm about to do a 20x20 area, framed in 4x4's. Want to put my fire pit in the middle.

Ellegon

Ultimate Member
    Sep 15, 2012
    Parkville
    Sorry to hijack, but what's the best stone for a patio. I'm about to do a 20x20 area, framed in 4x4's. Want to put my fire pit in the middle.

Random pattern Bluestone makes a beautiful and long lasting patio

Attachments

• 1abe978580bcf644043c792ad0fd2cfd.jpg
      1abe978580bcf644043c792ad0fd2cfd.jpg
      103.6 KB · Views: 176

govwontletmebuycoolguns

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 3, 2010
    DPRM
    I'm putting it down this year as an 65'x18' pea gravel patio, with the intention of choking it in with fines and using as paver base at a future date (probably years from now). The pea gravel patio I put in out front 10 years ago has served me well.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    Exactly. Using rounded gravel for a driving or walking surface is kind of like driving or walking on a bed of marbles.
    Someone in the past of my Arizona home did 2-3” of 1/4” pea gravel in a roughly 45x90’ area behind the gates that enter the backyard. Looked great when we bought the place but we quickly discovered just how much it sucked. The toddler loved to dig in it though so there was that one benefit.

I had some roll off dumpsters delivered and rented a skid steer for a weekend and made it all go away.

Random pattern Bluestone makes a beautiful and long lasting patio

Love that patio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom